True or False: All tangs (surgeonfish) need at least a 6ft tank to thrive.

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Montana on 30 acres with three pastures separated by trees and have had up to 4 horses who could run and eat grass till they got too fat and we had to trim them down. Every day on my way to work I drive by a house on 1 acre with 2 horses out in front. They look healthy and I can see they are fed and watered everyday. Are my horses happier and thriving more than the horses on one acre? Do they even know the difference if they are cared for properly? Should I go up to their front door and tell the owners they are not treating their animals right? I don't think SO!
I've had a large Golden Retriever also at this house. She could run and run all she wanted. In New York, people have full sized dogs in apartments and condos and have dog walkers and these dogs NEVER have a chance to run as fast as they can. Who's dog is happier and thriving better?
To tell you the truth, I'm fed up with TANG POLICE who judge other people based on the size of their tanks. And most of these TANG POLICE have huge tanks and they tell the rest of us poor slobs that we should not have tangs because our tanks are not worthy.
I have snorkeled all over the Caribbean and Hawaii and can tell you that any tank you stick a tang in is going to be confining. So sorry TANG POLICE. I really don't care what you think!

This man is a legend I like him he’s right see I don’t have that kinda money to afford a 200 gallon tank but what I do know is there are fangs that are placed in 200 gallon tanks and still die. Should we blame this on it didn’t have enough room? Bc last time I checked you aren’t the fish and you may think it looks crowded but sometimes a fish is content with company I mean I think so I don’t know bc I’m not a FISH[emoji23] my tangs actually get along with each other and will literally play with each other in a freaking 55 gallon so really who’s to say we are right or wrong I say if they are happy and are healthy then that’s good enough for me

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your analogy works because people claim, well I have X and it is just fine without saying I have 3 tangs in my 55g that have lived together for 3 years and they're fine. For all we know he may have 3 2" tangs in a 55g for a month and all is good. Tangs can live like 40+ years. Yellow tangs can get pretty big. Even when I see a Naso tang or even worse, a vlamingi tang in a 180, I often wonder how long before it goes crazy. I've dove in Hawaii and seen Achilles tangs, Naso and unicorn tangs, and I have to say, they get HUGE! like beyond 12". Can a juvenile live in a 90g, sure, but not for more than a year or so. I have a yellow tang about to go in my RS reefer 450, which is a 5 foot tank with my Kole tang and I a nervous about that, but I am going to give it a shot because I have seen several instances where it did work but I am full prepared to remove the yellow at any time if it comes to that.

Okay bud first I know you don’t mean disrespect but don’t call me a liar that I have three rants in the tank secondly two of them are 4 and a half inches and the third one is three inches I take very good care of my tangs I give three there seaweed I feed them three times a week they are the fattest tangs I’ve ever seen and get along with each other and even freaking play with each other they are super chillont and very happy IMO

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f7e1f5bd74e4227ce531abb1944a8f1a.jpg

All three of them just chillin together they love it from what I can tell

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tang in a 40B. He/she is very fat and healthy. When I got the yellow tang, it was very thin and had a pinched stomach. So I had a choice, try to give this tang a shot or just let it die because I knew no one would buy it from how it looked. A year later and it is still alive, it roams the tank and grazes on the rocks. It has yet to do any of the pacing or acting frantic that I often see being cited by the fish police. This is the main reason I buy most of my fish. Either they serve a purpose or need a home. And no, I will not rehome this tang nor am I upgrading my tank in a year.

The only reason I see against putting a large fish in an undersized tank is aesthetic. It looks odd seeing a giant in a relatively small tank. This goes for all size tanks. Putting a 3ft fish in a 1000 gal tank makes the tank look small. Would rather see a bunch of the same species living as they would in the wild. In schools/shoals, interacting with one another. I realize this can't always be done, so no fault against those that like to keep singles of certain species. It is your choice after all.

Would prefer that people keep their opinions to themselves when the topic is subjective. That is unless someone is asking for said opinion.

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tang in a 40B. He/she is very fat and healthy. When I got the yellow tang, it was very thin and had a pinched stomach. So I had a choice, try to give this tang a shot or just let it die because I knew no one would buy it from how it looked. A year later and it is still alive, it roams the tank and grazes on the rocks. It has yet to do any of the pacing or acting frantic that I often see being cited by the fish police. This is the main reason I buy most of my fish. Either they serve a purpose or need a home. And no, I will not rehome this tang nor am I upgrading my tank in a year.

The only reason I see against putting a large fish in an undersized tank is aesthetic. It looks odd seeing a giant in a relatively small tank. This goes for all size tanks. Putting a 3ft fish in a 1000 gal tank makes the tank look small. Would rather see a bunch of the same species living as they would in the wild. In schools/shoals, interacting with one another. I realize this can't always be done, so no fault against those that like to keep singles of certain species. It is your choice after all.

Would prefer that people keep their opinions to themselves when the topic is subjective. That is unless someone is asking for said opinion.

Preach[emoji1431][emoji1431][emoji1431]

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay bud first I know you don’t mean disrespect but don’t call me a liar that I have three rants in the tank secondly two of them are 4 and a half inches and the third one is three inches I take very good care of my tangs I give three there seaweed I feed them three times a week they are the fattest tangs I’ve ever seen and get along with each other and even freaking play with each other they are super chillont and very happy IMO
I didnt mean disrespect by any means and at no point did I call you a liar. I was mearly pointing out a possible example of antecdotal evidence that new comers could go "oh its normal to throw 3 tanks in a 4 foot tank" with out any other supporting information. You did not post how big or how long you have them. There are a lot of users, not suggesting you but based on the limited info posted, that say x worked for them and acros are easy... come to find they have a 4 month old tank and acros for 3 weeks. Or my tang is fat and happy (cause thats they way he was bought 3 weeks ago).

Your situation, which seems to work for you, might not be the best advice for all because it seems a lot more users report issues down the road with tang aggression in tight quarters as they get bigger than those with mutliple tangs in a 55g. I wouldn't advise it, but i'm not you.

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt mean disrespect by any means and at no point did I call you a liar. I was mearly pointing out a possible example of antecdotal evidence that new comers could go "oh its normal to throw 3 tanks in a 4 foot tank" with out any other supporting information. You did not post how big or how long you have them. There are a lot of users, not suggesting you but based on the limited info posted, that say x worked for them and acros are easy... come to find they have a 4 month old tank and acros for 3 weeks. Or my tang is fat and happy (cause thats they way he was bought 3 weeks ago).

Your situation, which seems to work for you, might not be the best advice for all because it seems a lot more users report issues down the road with tang aggression in tight quarters as they get bigger than those with mutliple tangs in a 55g. I wouldn't advise it, but i'm not you.

And I know you meant no disrespect and just for some more info I’ve had them for three years and my blue tang was supposed to be the only one until I saw my yellow tang at a petco and was devastated by his condition I automatically bought him and he now is a chubby *******[emoji23] same thing with the kole tang he wasn’t nearly as bad but I could tell he wasn’t happy so I took him and also gave him a full recovery and with that they’ve been together 3 years and still are as loving towards each other as when I first bought them

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I know you meant no disrespect and just for some more info I’ve had them for three years and my blue tang was supposed to be the only one until I saw my yellow tang at a petco and was devastated by his condition I automatically bought him and he now is a chubby *******[emoji23] same thing with the kole tang he wasn’t nearly as bad but I could tell he wasn’t happy so I took him and also gave him a full recovery and with that they’ve been together 3 years and still are as loving towards each other as when I first bought them
I commend you for saving them, and I hope they work out long term. I know the yellow and heptus can get aggressive as they get big.

Nokiaec11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs owner has kept a fat healthy looking tiny little tang in his 12g nano for over a year now... I have complained about it like 4 times and finally let it go after the 2nd month... now, a year later.. that same yellow tang is still fat, little and seems happy...

All my instincts say it's wrong to do this... but all rules can be broken.

Not saying you are wrong in any way, but why does your instinct tell you its wrong?

Nokiaec11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
holly cow that's a a lot of tangs in such a small tank. im surprised he doesn't have issues

Those Tangs are not that big and they look healthy with all the places to hide and area to swim...when you look on the internet there are many sites that state you need 200gal, 250gal,300gal...etc for a fish that can grow to about 1'; mind you, the size of actual fish be purchased is about 3"...Have you seen the size of 250gal tank?...I have seen people with those large tanks and no rock because they think the fish need all that space....my opinion is just setup a tank that is adequate for what you have, and fish need somewhere to get a way from something that may startle them...many people are just lazy and want a bigger tank for less maintenance, but if you willing to put the time in, smaller will have no issues as long as the inhabitants plays well with each othe.

Nokiaec11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had an 8’ tank... 500 gallons. I had five species of tang (powder blue, hippo, orange shoulder, yellow, naso). They did fine. I downsized to a 300 gallon and they were still happy and healthy, but I felt terrible. These guys were wild caught (this was 2002) and although by most standards, 500 gallons is more than adequate, it is not the ocean. I’ve seen huge schools of tangs swimming freely. It’s crazy amazing. And, unfortunately, there’s very little as hobbyist that we can do to replicate what nature provides.

My answer.... there’s not an aquarium anywhere that’s large enough for a group of tangs (or shark, ray, etc). They are open ocean fish and swim miles and miles every day. But we can try.... six feet minimum and only one or two.

Not disagreeing, but that would suggest no matter the volume of the tank one could only put 2 tangs in a 6ft long tank, but there is guy who built a massive 6ftx6ft 600gal tank in a dedicated room, having only 2 tangs would be a waste...in the wild fish eat all day and swim countless miles, so they get huge; we feed our fish very small portions 1-3x's a day so we reduce drastically reduce their intake...I had a Lion fish that ate 2x's everyday, whole silversides, it went from just 5" to over 7" within a year, but a Lion fish of the same age in the wild could swallow it whole. Our tanks are nowhere near as diluted with minerals, micro life, and live fish feeders as the ocean...No matter what we do, we would never be able to create a coral reef as in an ocean.

Nokiaec11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a homeless guy the other day living in his car. He looked very content. Was eating and still accepting money from others. Don't bust my chops. Just having some fun.
That's not fun

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not disagreeing, but that would suggest no matter the volume of the tank one could only put 2 tangs in a 6ft long tank, but there is guy who built a massive 6ftx6ft 600gal tank in a dedicated room, having only 2 tangs would be a waste...in the wild fish eat all day and swim countless miles, so they get huge; we feed our fish very small portions 1-3x's a day so we reduce drastically reduce their intake...I had a Lion fish that ate 2x's everyday, whole silversides, it went from just 5" to over 7" within a year, but a Lion fish of the same age in the wild could swallow it whole. Our tanks are nowhere near as diluted with minerals, micro life, and live fish feeders as the ocean...No matter what we do, we would never be able to create a coral reef as in an ocean.
6x2 (or around 2) is very different than 6x6. And you’re right. That’s hey I said we do the best we can!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Seems like there are lots of people with a similar set up. I have 3 tangs in a 5 foot aquarium 2 yellows and a purple - and they all get along

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How many tangs in a Biocube? Are those sirens?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back