Trukgirl's 44g Predator Tank

trukgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 44g corner pentagon Predator Tank! (FOWLR no coral)

Hubby made a nice custom hood to finish it off. Equipment: Marineland Penguin Bio-Wheel 350, AquaEuroUSA Nano Skimmer, Koralia 2, Aqueon 150w heater, 18w T8 Actinic, 2 15w 6500k daylight CFLs.

Only baddies reside here!!! :wink:
juvenile Volitans Lionfish, Snowflake Eel (full grown), Pencil Urchin, Pincushion Urchin, and Chocolate Chip Star!

Yes I am well aware the Volitans will outgrow the tank. I actually ordered a Fuzzy Dwarf Lion, and they accidentally sent this guy. He was teeny teeny tiny when I got him May of last yr. Instead of stressing him again and chancing that he might die, I decided to keep him and got some credit. I have him weaned onto frozen food so he should be EASY to sell when he gets too big for this tank. Then hopefully I will finally get my Fuzzy, an Antenatta, or a Mombasa Lion (any of these fit in this tank)

They eat snacks of PE Mysis, and meals consist of vitamin and garlic soaked (preservative-free!) seafood mix from one of my local grocery stores. It has octopus, squid, clams, mussels, and shrimp.

Here are some pics... the tank is in the front corner of the living room right next to the entertainment center.
29a951ab.jpg

Lion
6ec10e27.jpg

Eel & Pincushion Urchin
29911465.jpg

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a lion fish and snowflake eel in my 65gal. cube tank. The lion fish lived in there for 15 years, The eel not so lucky, Carpet Dive. I saw a 9ft. snow eel, they can get huge.

OP
OP
trukgirl

trukgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Revsgirl!!

Miyags, I have tight fitting grating over the top of the tank. The hood even weighs it down at the sides, so if he escapes, someone let him out! Snowflake is already almost 3 years old, I got him May of last year, and he was a trade-in at one of my LFSs. They had him for a couple of months and he was already weaned to frozen and a good healthy guy. Hubby won't let me have a snake so he is one of my favorites.

Paul_N, I just happened to find this tank on Craigslist for $100! It was in good shape, hubby repainted the stand and painted on the blue background, then a couple mos ago he made the hood to hide everything, I can't believe how good it looks now.

:)

OP
OP
trukgirl

trukgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Cdness!!!

Here's a few more....
66b195d3.jpg

Choc chip star
5e6424db.jpg

I won Picture of the Month with this one on another site
75f5d7c7.jpg

Pincushion Urchin
83236f91.jpg

This one was taken before hubs made the hood, but it shows eel stretched out, he's about 2ft long.
a90008ad.jpg

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back