Trying to make an informed decision

calimatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!
So I am brand new to the hobby had my tank for almost 2 months. Made my first mistake already. I got 3 clown fish 4 weeks ago. 2 orange ocellaris and a black ocellaris. I know one will probably have to get rescued and removed or die. Here's what I'm seeing. There is one Orange that is a bit larger and definitely more aggressive. She (I assume) is harassing the other orange and twitching around him. She is showing no aggression or doing any twitching around the black and tolerates his presence. Could it be possible the orange pair are working through their pairing and once that happens will turn on the black or has my lovely lady made her choice and trying to kill off the other orange? Any thoughts?
ps. The black is totally nuetral

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clowns are weird. You assumptions are reasonable, but we all know how assumptions work. One question that may help with feedback, what size is your tank?

I currently keep 7 different species of clowns in various tanks and they are both magical and mysterious. What you suggest is in line with much of what is written about clownfish, but since fish don't read they often do their own thing. Good luck with these fish and #WelcometoR2R!!!

OP
OP
calimatty

calimatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I have a 69g. I have been reading a ton so I believe the behavior is normal I just don't want to separate the wrong guy out (or let the fish be killed if I can help it)

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some clown species are a lot more intolerant to a third wheel than other. In larger tanks, 3 Ocellaris is OK in term of living, but the third one will get abuse somewhat by the pair. I doubt very much that Ocellaris would kill the third one, or your fish are fully mature, but the would abuse him and make his life miserable.
I do recommend that you pick the two that you want and return the third one.

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have two clowns that I added at the same time and they still behave like this. The female is mean to the male, they are just bullies. If you get rid of one of the smaller ones its possible she will start picking on the other one. If it were me I would just leave them.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave them together. It’s when the two pair off and the third wheel changes into a male that problems happen. Or when the 2nd largest turns into another female. Rehome at a later time when you need to.

I have had luck keeping multiple together in a tank similar to your size for long term.

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clint Eastwood.gif

Howdy and welcome to R2R. I too would leave them. Be patient. After a year my two clowns get alone just fine but there was aggression for quite some time. Be patient.

OP
OP
calimatty

calimatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: 24 hours in and the black has gotten involved in the bullying so i'm guessing they've paired. I have a homemade trap set (I feel like Macgyver (Mac-fish-ver, Fish-gyver there is a joke there somewhere)).

I am having a tough time catching him, so for the time being we will have see how this plays out. It's pretty brutal to watch. I hope it turns out you guys are right. Thx for the tips.

OP
OP
calimatty

calimatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: 48 hours. The pummeling continues. My homemade trap didn't work (Suprise!). I have a sea side trap coming this afternoon that will go in ASAP. The black's abuse has been negligible. Relentless chasing and some biting by the larger orange. The small orange has some fin damage but is swimming well and has energy for now.

Thank you for the tips on catching him. I will try it in the morning if the trap hasn't worked.

OP
OP
calimatty

calimatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 96 hours. There has been a tentative peace for the last 48hrs. I'm not sure why. It could be the ebb and flow of the struggle but it could also be that there has been way more food than normal because I have been baiting the fish trap. Either way I am glad he is at least getting a reprieve. He looks like he's been through a war.
I tried to catch him in his sleep but have been unsuccessful.

Ps. No luck with the trap (1/5 stars). They ignore it for the most part. The bait just settles in the bottom of the trap and they aren't going for it. When I turn on any flow to get the food moving it blows out. Live and learn I guess. I am leaving it in the tank for the time being. The peace started when I put it in and the little guy hangs out above it so...

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wait until a few HOURS after lights are off. Then I turn on all white lights so they they're blinded for a few minutes. Unless your clown hides in a rock (which I doubt), they are super easy to catch when they're in blinded shock--think of a human in total darkness for hours. Then, suddenly, lights go on. We'll be disoriented for a bit, right? When you use a flashlight to catch them in the dark, their eyes get used to your light. (Like a nightlight for humans).

Go for the light-blinding shock. It works!

OP
OP
calimatty

calimatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: DAY 5 I caught him! Well he caught himself. He went in the food hole of the fish trap with the door closed and I got the feeding tube in and trapped him (So 2/5 stars now for the trap. It worked just not as intended). He is back at the fish store to live a happier and hopefully a more peaceful life. So now we'll see how the pairing goes. If anything interesting happens I'll let you know. Thank you all for all your help!!!!

Ulm_nano_diybudgetreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: DAY 5 I caught him! Well he caught himself. He went in the food hole of the fish trap with the door closed and I got the feeding tube in and trapped him (So 2/5 stars now for the trap. It worked just not as intended). He is back at the fish store to live a happier and hopefully a more peaceful life. So now we'll see how the pairing goes. If anything interesting happens I'll let you know. Thank you all for all your help!!!!
How did it go? Been having similar issues

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends alot of the fish themselves I woukd wait and see the pair may alow the 3rd to live and be happy as in the wild its not uncommon for a 3rd to wait on the outskirts for the male or female to die and take their place

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think you did the right thing. Both of my clown pairs did the "dance" as you mentioned and pulling the third probably saved them (and you) the frustration & tension.

Back