Trying to start a BioCube

Mario0240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

So I have a 20ish gallon BioCube that's just sitting in my garage, begging to be cycled. It came with everything I need to start it, BUT it doesn't have the basket in the back. If I didn't want to buy a basket for one, whats a good way to add filtering materials for it? I was thinking of stuffing some filter floss in it somewhere, and then throwing some chaeto in there too, and pretty much just hoping for the best!! I feel like I've seen someones cube set up in this manor, but i'm not sure and i'm looking for the communities input.

Thanks!

JustDewwit

One frag at a time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

So I have a 20ish gallon BioCube that's just sitting in my garage, begging to be cycled. It came with everything I need to start it, BUT it doesn't have the basket in the back. If I didn't want to buy a basket for one, whats a good way to add filtering materials for it? I was thinking of stuffing some filter floss in it somewhere, and then throwing some chaeto in there too, and pretty much just hoping for the best!! I feel like I've seen someones cube set up in this manor, but i'm not sure and i'm looking for the communities input.

Thanks!
Go for it ,but lets get you setup right. The inTank media basket is going to be your best bet. I'm guessing you have a biocube 16. The basket will set you back $62.99 +shipping. Can you set up the tank without the inTank media basket ,Yes. I warn you a lot can go wrong fast especially in nano class aio's. Invest in filtration,lighting and flow.Once again go for it and we will all be here to help along the way.

SmartSelect_20191209-062623_Chrome.jpg SmartSelect_20191209-062534_Chrome.jpg

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need to waist your money on a manufactured rack, just fill the middle chamber half full of bio balls, throw a bag of carbon or chemipure blue on top of the balls for chemical filtration and top it off with filter floss or similar for mechanical filtration.. simple, cheap and effective ;)

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You don’t need to waist your money on a manufactured rack, just fill the middle chamber half full of bio balls, throw a bag of carbon or chemipure blue on top of the balls for chemical filtration and top it off with filter floss or similar for mechanical filtration.. simple, cheap and effective ;)
Yep!

JustDewwit

One frag at a time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only downside is when it comes time to change media there will be more time consumed. The rack has its benefits which is use one basket to pull everything out vs digging it out . Seems more of a mess ,however I agree 100% your method will work just as well.

OP
OP
Mario0240

Mario0240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just an older bio cube. Nothing special. Like I said it’s just missing the media basket. Got the tank for $75 that was bought for me by a friend who I helped move his tank/birthday present. So the tank was free. Just gotta get some rock, sand, and a couple clowns!

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for rocks I would recommend the caribsea life rock nano shapes, I love the rocks..... I didn't get the nano version cause it wouldn't be enough in a 75g. you can make some killer scapes with them with swim throughs and options for coral placement

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mario0240

Mario0240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweeeet!! I, for some reason, didn’t think about egg crate!! I’m get some today and start cutting!

On another note, what should I put in the basket? Floss, carbon, what else?

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweeeet!! I, for some reason, didn’t think about egg crate!! I’m get some today and start cutting!

On another note, what should I put in the basket? Floss, carbon, what else?
I use sponges up top, then two bags of purigen on the bottom. But I have a carbon, and gfo reactor. Maybe consider a mangrove... I have one in my second basket

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What RetroReefer said.

Back