Tunze auto top off 3155 sensor not working

ReefStache

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Here’s my problem with a new Tunze 3155 auto top off… it will only fill water when I turn off the unit and back on. It will fill for about 15 seconds. So every few hrs I have to switch it off and back on to keep filling my tank. I’m basically doing the work that it’s supposed to do for me.

FYI - the float switch works… and will sound the alarm if filled that high. I just can’t seem to get the sensor to work on it’s own.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

OP
ReefStache

ReefStache

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Additional info… I’m using the dual magnet, there’s nothing on the sensor or any bubbles etc. Haven’t started dosing yet… new system and don’t even have coral and fish as of yet.

ATO sensor is in the return pump section away from any water splashing or bubbles etc.

BroccoliFarmer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I had one of these that stopped working. What i found out that when I was dumping my Kalk Stirrer in the return chamber, it was putting a kalk coating on the optical sensor preventing it from registering the water level. When I moved the out spout of the kalk stirrer into the center sump chamber..problem solved.

edit..had to clean the sensor with vinegar to clear up the coating.

OP
ReefStache

ReefStache

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
This is a new out of the box unit? Any refugium light near the sensor? Is a wire or other item possibly touching the sensor?
Yes new out of box. It’s a couple of years old but never used. Nothing touching the sensor. I even took it out and cleaned it and covered it and then tried to get the sensor to respond but nada.

OP
ReefStache

ReefStache

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I had one of these that stopped working. What i found out that when I was dumping my Kalk Stirrer in the return chamber, it was putting a kalk coating on the optical sensor preventing it from registering the water level. When I moved the out spout of the kalk stirrer into the center sump chamber..problem solved.

edit..had to clean the sensor with vinegar to clear up the coating.
Brand new never used and still has never worked. Have had it set up for about a week now and scratching my head. Re-checked and rechecked to make sure everything is installed correctly, have watched multiple YT vids. Just not working.

rvitko

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
My best guess would be the sensor has a wire break or possibly is unplugged inside the controller. If you send me the controller, I can get it repaired within a day.

OP
ReefStache

ReefStache

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
My best guess would be the sensor has a wire break or possibly is unplugged inside the controller. If you send me the controller, I can get it repaired within a day.
Thanks! Just let me know how to move forward…

rvitko

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Just send in the controller, I only need part 5017.000, controller with sensors, my personal preference is to send this part, no magnets, nothing else, in a small flat rate Priority mail box, about $8.50 for 2-3 day service. Include a note with your contact and return info, I have never had a unit damaged shipped this way and it is the best value.

Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin, TX 78753

OP
ReefStache

ReefStache

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Just send in the controller, I only need part 5017.000, controller with sensors, my personal preference is to send this part, no magnets, nothing else, in a small flat rate Priority mail box, about $8.50 for 2-3 day service. Include a note with your contact and return info, I have never had a unit damaged shipped this way and it is the best value.

Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin, TX 78753
Thank you for the support.

Have you ever torn down a tank over an issue you couldn't seem to beat?

• Yes! I have. (Tell us about what issue you faced in the thread.)

Votes: 183 24.6%
  • No. Thankfully, I haven't.

Votes: 383 51.5%
  • Nope, but it almost happened. (Share your experience in the thread.)

Votes: 55 7.4%
  • Not yet, but I'm almost there. (Tell us what you're dealing with.)

Votes: 61 8.2%
  • If you reef long enough, this will eventually happen to you.

Votes: 47 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 14 1.9%
REEFTIDE