Tunze auto top off 3155 sensor not working

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here’s my problem with a new Tunze 3155 auto top off… it will only fill water when I turn off the unit and back on. It will fill for about 15 seconds. So every few hrs I have to switch it off and back on to keep filling my tank. I’m basically doing the work that it’s supposed to do for me.

FYI - the float switch works… and will sound the alarm if filled that high. I just can’t seem to get the sensor to work on it’s own.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
ReefStash

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Additional info… I’m using the dual magnet, there’s nothing on the sensor or any bubbles etc. Haven’t started dosing yet… new system and don’t even have coral and fish as of yet.

ATO sensor is in the return pump section away from any water splashing or bubbles etc.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a new out of the box unit? Any refugium light near the sensor? Is a wire or other item possibly touching the sensor?

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one of these that stopped working. What i found out that when I was dumping my Kalk Stirrer in the return chamber, it was putting a kalk coating on the optical sensor preventing it from registering the water level. When I moved the out spout of the kalk stirrer into the center sump chamber..problem solved.

edit..had to clean the sensor with vinegar to clear up the coating.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The start up fill is normal, but basically what you describe is the optic sensor is not working. The usual causes are something on it, or a source of infrared light.

OP
OP
ReefStash

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is a new out of the box unit? Any refugium light near the sensor? Is a wire or other item possibly touching the sensor?
Yes new out of box. It’s a couple of years old but never used. Nothing touching the sensor. I even took it out and cleaned it and covered it and then tried to get the sensor to respond but nada.

OP
OP
ReefStash

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had one of these that stopped working. What i found out that when I was dumping my Kalk Stirrer in the return chamber, it was putting a kalk coating on the optical sensor preventing it from registering the water level. When I moved the out spout of the kalk stirrer into the center sump chamber..problem solved.

edit..had to clean the sensor with vinegar to clear up the coating.
Brand new never used and still has never worked. Have had it set up for about a week now and scratching my head. Re-checked and rechecked to make sure everything is installed correctly, have watched multiple YT vids. Just not working.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best guess would be the sensor has a wire break or possibly is unplugged inside the controller. If you send me the controller, I can get it repaired within a day.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just send in the controller, I only need part 5017.000, controller with sensors, my personal preference is to send this part, no magnets, nothing else, in a small flat rate Priority mail box, about $8.50 for 2-3 day service. Include a note with your contact and return info, I have never had a unit damaged shipped this way and it is the best value.

Tunze USA
2121 Cole Springs Rd
Buda TX 78610

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefStash

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just send in the controller, I only need part 5017.000, controller with sensors, my personal preference is to send this part, no magnets, nothing else, in a small flat rate Priority mail box, about $8.50 for 2-3 day service. Include a note with your contact and return info, I have never had a unit damaged shipped this way and it is the best value.

Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin, TX 78753
Thank you for the support.

Tony Galdikas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin, TX 78753
Hi RVitko,

I have the same problem with my 3155. The unit fills for 20 seconds when first plugged in, the high water float makes the alarm sound off when it is raised, but the 3155 won't start the pump when the water drops below the sensor. The sensor appears to be completely clean but I soaked it in citric acid just to be sure. There are no scratches or any haze/film on the sensor and it is in a dark area of my sump without any lights. It simply stopped working this weekend for no apparent reason.

My 3155 is about 2.5 years old but I think it just needs a new sensor. Is it possible to buy one? I wasn't able to find these for sale anywhere. I should note that I opened up the 3155 and verified the connectors were all attached. I can replace the sensor myself if I can buy one. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

OP
OP
ReefStash

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin, TX 78753
Just packaged it up and UPS will pick up Mon. Thanks, Roger. -Rob Bernhardt

bryanh16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin, TX 78753
I am having the exact same problem. Can I send it to you for a repair as well? Thanks! Bryan.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I am running out of optic sensors, more will arrive in about 10-14 days, but it is possible I will have a delay in such a repair until parts arrive.

ks525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I am running out of optic sensors, more will arrive in about 10-14 days, but it is possible I will have a delay in such a repair until parts arrive.
Interesting. I’m having the same problem. My osmolator is about 4 hrs old. The pump just went out so I ordered a replacement. When it came in and I hooked everything back up, I had this problem with the optical sensor, which had worked flawlessly until then.

I wouldn’t think an optical sensor could go bad. There are no moving parts. Does the physical composition of the sensor actually breakdown?

An additional question, are all optical sensors similar? could I swap this one out with one I had from an old ato system?

ks525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I’m having the same problem. My osmolator is about 4 hrs old. The pump just went out so I ordered a replacement. When it came in and I hooked everything back up, I had this problem with the optical sensor, which had worked flawlessly until then.

I wouldn’t think an optical sensor could go bad. There are no moving parts. Does the physical composition of the sensor actually breakdown?

An additional question, are all optical sensors similar? could I swap this one out with one I had from an old ato system?
Sorry, 4 yrs old, not hrs.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They use an infrared LED and infrared receiver, these parts do fail with age, they are on 24/7. While they are "the same" provided they are made after 2015, they vary slightly in voltage signal and for this reason when a sensor is replaced, the circuit board needs to be calibrated to the new sensor. We do have sensors back in stock, they are $29.49 installed.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 61 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back