Tunze nano 640 stopped working after cleaning?

  • Thread starter Thread starter joec
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

joec

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 29, 2016
Messages
784
Reaction score
485
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about 3 years old or so. I installed it after cleaning it last night and it was working. This morning it was off and I could not get it to work. The lights on the control were on but no spinning. I removed it to fiddle with it, removed/ reseated the impeller, etc, when I plugged it would try to start here and there but mostly not. I was able to get it going for a few seconds and then right after that everything went dead, no more lights on the controller no power.

When I originally re-installed it, I did drop the power supply on a wood floor from about two feet accidentally. But it worked right after that.

Is the power supply bad? please help?
 
It could be, the power supplies have some safety components inside, a fuse and a thermal contact that can break from a hard drop, but two feet isn't that big a deal usually. Do you have a voltmeter, or another 6040, 3155, 3152, 8811, 8821, 8831, these all use the same power supply and could be used to troubleshoot the power supply.
 
No I do not have another compatible power supply. And I would also be surprised if a 2' drop would damage it.


I may be able to use a voltmeter, how should I use that and what number/ reading should I be looking for to confirm?
 
Thanks. So of that checks out at 12V, I assume that the control/pump is bad?
 
Yes, and it does have a 2 year warranty, do make sure the propeller pulls out easily and leaves a metal shaft behind centered in the motor, the most common issue is a seized impeller, it will seize to the shaft that it should spin on.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 21.9%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new