Tunze osmolator problems

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. The water level in the sump was lower than the water level in the reservoir. So after the pump turned off it would continue to siphon water into sump.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just moved the outlet tube up to the tank. Fixed the problem.

Terriblesam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it somehow getting turned on and off a lot? I have never had a problem but do hate how every time it gets turned off and on it drops a cup of water no matter what
Is that right? No wonder I get it I dialed in when the water starts it doesnt stop even when I submerge the sensor all the way. Im trying to use this on my cadlight 35g AIO so I stopped using it

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time it is powered up the pump runs for 15-20 seconds. This is done to prime the pump and so the installer can verify the pump is running. On every Osmolator made since 2012 you can set the pump speed inside the controller, on tanks under 50 gallons, this should generally be set to nano and only about 1 cup will be added during this start up run if the pump was fully primed. The osmolator is meant to run stand alone and always be powered up so this should only be an issue on first install, about the only time you would need to turn it off is a water change, the alarm can also be set inside the controller and can be disabled, the safety would still work, but their is no audible alarm.

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<Sigh> having the same exact issue. My sump has a RO/DI top off tank in the sump and all I was trying to do is pump it from the far left compartment to the far right compartment to the return area... Let me running the hose to return\ over flow drain section of my main tank and see if the issue is fixed. I was really hoping to keep everything in the area below the tank.

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nope... Thing just pumped another gallon of water into my tank making it 3 gallons thus far since installing it this afternoon. Going to take a break and try to contact Tunze tomorrow.

Last edited:

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried cleaning the optical sensor?

I'm given to understand that can help - something about bubbles adhering to it when it's brand spanky-new. (Mine pumped four gallons into the tank when I installed it early this week, but evaporation has now taken that out, and it's seemed to work well throughout today - the sensor's been under water for a few days, so I'm sure any new-bubbles issue is cleared up. We'll see how she goes down the line!)

~Bruce

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried cleaning the optical sensor?

I'm given to understand that can help - something about bubbles adhering to it when it's brand spanky-new. (Mine pumped four gallons into the tank when I installed it early this week, but evaporation has now taken that out, and it's seemed to work well throughout today - the sensor's been under water for a few days, so I'm sure any new-bubbles issue is cleared up. We'll see how she goes down the line!)

~Bruce

Bruce,
Thanks for your response. I will pull it out and try cleaning it well with vinegar then submerge it for a few days (allow for evaporation) before plugging back taking care to look for bubbles. I will report back.

Wy8tt_Earp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue under my tank as well. I raised the height of the return line under the tank, put a loose loop in the line, and secured the loop to a point higher than the water being pumped. Works like a champ.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A loop will not permanently solve a siphon and is not a recommended solution, an air gap is a possible solution, i.e. end the hose at an open top pipe that serves as a gutter to drain the water into the sump.

Scriptmonkey, if you email me more details I have a troubleshooting sheet I can send. I agree this is likely due to bubbles, the sensor only detects air vs water and is a bubble magnet for a few days, a hot soapy water rinse can help, reinstall it in a calm bubble free area, after a few days a bacterial film will greatly reduce the attraction of bubbles.

Siphon-Situations-688x459.png

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A loop will not permanently solve a siphon and is not a recommended solution, an air gap is a possible solution, i.e. end the hose at an open top pipe that serves as a gutter to drain the water into the sump.

Scriptmonkey, if you email me more details I have a troubleshooting sheet I can send. I agree this is likely due to bubbles, the sensor only detects air vs water and is a bubble magnet for a few days, a hot soapy water rinse can help, reinstall it in a calm bubble free area, after a few days a bacterial film will greatly reduce the attraction of bubbles.

Siphon-Situations-688x459.png
I'm having similar issues. I purchased a tunze osmolator 3154 from brs. I installed it and ive noticed that the ATO will periodically start filling my sump even though the optical sensor is completely submerged. I dont let it get to the point where the backup valve gets triggered but its so far pumped 3 gallons in my sump in half a day when it usually takes a week to fill 3 gallons. Ive moved the optical sensor multiple spots in my return portion of the sump to no avail. ive unplugged it cause i dont want it to keep filling. when the optical sensor is completely submerged and i plug it back on, it doesnthe cupnand stops but then about an hour later, itnstarts filling again. I did notice some bubbles around the sensor. Should I just wait a few days until the sensor to attractnless bubbles? Thanks.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jet, I replied to your email earlier.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am having the same issue with the ato overfilling my sump even when the sensor is completely under water.

I will clean it tonight with vinegar and hot water to see if that does anything.

My ato line is above my sump water so there is no way it is siphoning anything and also my reserve water is will below the sump, so if anything it would siphon water out of the sump and not into it. I am just confused on why the pump turns on every so often after it is above the sensor and then just keeps turning on and off.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is new, the usual cause is the bubbles being attracted to the new plastic, the best solution is just to wait a few days for a biofilm to form on the optic sensor. Also, place the sensor away from sources of bubbles and this especially includes the top off hose which can go anywhere and should not be near the sensor. If you catch it in the act and wipe your finger under the sensor and the fill stops in 5 seconds, it is definitely due to bubbles.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If it is new, the usual cause is the bubbles being attracted to the new plastic, the best solution is just to wait a few days for a biofilm to form on the optic sensor. Also, place the sensor away from sources of bubbles and this especially includes the top off hose which can go anywhere and should not be near the sensor. If you catch it in the act and wipe your finger under the sensor and the fill stops in 5 seconds, it is definitely due to bubbles.

It isnt old, I have had it for well over a year but I will look out for bubbles

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it continues doing this and it is about a year old, I would try cleaning the sensor in vinegar for a couple hours, just soak and wipe off with a soft towel, if it still continues, it could be the sensor is either failing or the sensor has drifted a little and needs to be recalibrated.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If it continues doing this and it is about a year old, I would try cleaning the sensor in vinegar for a couple hours, just soak and wipe off with a soft towel, if it still continues, it could be the sensor is either failing or the sensor has drifted a little and needs to be recalibrated.

so I cleaned it with vinegar overnight last night and wipe it all clean and it is still doing this.

It will not turn off even when the water level is way above the sensor, I even tried moving the sensor up with my finger and it still would not stop.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back