Turf Algae Nightmare

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I used it as a last resort and it saved my mixed reef. It really is magic in a a bottle. I have a thread on here called GHA has won tank tear down.
I'm not opposed to chemical bombs as a last resort (or knocking them), but IMHO removing the marine pure block and doing a little manual scrubbing on the rocks seems like a safer test. If urgent death is imminent then maybe drop the chemical bomb. I'm also disinclined to believe that magic is real and anyone saying that it is real must have a vested interest in perpetuating a myth.

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not opposed to chemical bombs as a last resort (or knocking them), but IMHO removing the marine pure block and doing a little manual scrubbing on the rocks seems like a safer test. If urgent death is imminent then maybe drop the chemical bomb. I'm also disinclined to believe that magic is real and anyone saying that it is real must have a vested interest in perpetuating a myth.
Roger that, as far as magic I can’t wait to see the anti gravity reactor lazar has been talking about

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger that, as far as magic I can’t wait to see the anti gravity reactor lazar has been talking about

LOL, this now sounds more like comments on Ars Technica. I'm OK with that, two of my favorite interwebs things combined.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question:

now that we have a way to rid this algae in about 48 hours work, is anyone still opting into keeping it, or is it all beaten from the tanks posting prior here

wanted to know/get updates on the psychological aspect of being invaded with turf algae, not the plant aspect. we have a way to will it gone, in May, its plant aspect has nothing to do with the invasion.

OP
OP
KevinsReef

KevinsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: On Sunday, 7/14, I removed all my live rock, scrubbed each piece with a stiff toothbrush, rinsed in a bucket of water from the tank, put 12% food grade hydrogen peroxide on each spot where the GHA had been, rinsed again in the same bucket, and then rinsed again in a clean bucket of tank water. I also removed the large marine pure block from the sump and did a 20% water change. The live sand is only 6 months old so I didn’t do anything to it.

My parameters after all this were:
NO3: 0.1
PO3: 0.06 (Hannah ULR)
Alk: 8.4
Calc: 420
Sg: 1.024

I am continuing to dose 2 Part ESV 7.5ml per day and 10ml NOPOX per day.

Here are some current pictures of the tank after the treatment:
37164a14af22a6f682d7b2eefcd5c986.jpg
33ec1d2f2eabd7c1783e34c3a63f8835.jpg
08eb8f5ffc2173c8e3570e72f6309b46.jpg

I plan to switch back to Red Sea Coral Pro salt. I had been using the blue bucket. I hope I can keep it at bay now.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow you took back all the ground, with a measured approach unique to your tank age/ scaping etc. I’ll use this for a long time as a work example on sheer control of turf algae.

Now is the time fluc can be used if even needed, as growback prevention. It has no mass to work on, you spot killed it in surgery. Whatever bits remain can now be suppressed from gaining mass, easier than find ld50 level/kill/wait to rot/become part of detritus cycle

I’m seeing a sparking clean non invaded reef in 48 hours using skip cycle biology and preserving your animals and sandbed aging, all precision work with pics. My goodness it’s so nice, why does anyone opt for the by October maybe method vs this

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: On Sunday, 7/14, I removed all my live rock, scrubbed each piece with a stiff toothbrush, rinsed in a bucket of water from the tank, put 12% food grade hydrogen peroxide on each spot where the GHA had been, rinsed again in the same bucket, and then rinsed again in a clean bucket of tank water. I also removed the large marine pure block from the sump and did a 20% water change. The live sand is only 6 months old so I didn’t do anything to it.

My parameters after all this were:
NO3: 0.1
PO3: 0.06 (Hannah ULR)
Alk: 8.4
Calc: 420
Sg: 1.024

I am continuing to dose 2 Part ESV 7.5ml per day and 10ml NOPOX per day.

Here are some current pictures of the tank after the treatment:
37164a14af22a6f682d7b2eefcd5c986.jpg
33ec1d2f2eabd7c1783e34c3a63f8835.jpg
08eb8f5ffc2173c8e3570e72f6309b46.jpg

I plan to switch back to Red Sea Coral Pro salt. I had been using the blue bucket. I hope I can keep it at bay now.
Any updates? I've tried peroxide myself and it definitely grows back.

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bringing up an old thread here. I had this same exact problem and read this same exact thread a few months ago and nothing on here worked. I tried manual removal, urchins, etc. Fish weren't an option for me as I have a fully stocked tank. I got a tip that a few hundred blue leg hermit crabs should do the trick, so I got them from Reeftopia and within 2 weeks my turf algae was 100% gone. I couldn't believe it. My tank is 165 gallons and it was covering most of the rock. They just plowed through the algae. I didn't need all the hermits so I brought about half to my LFS for donation.

Hopefully this helps someone else with this issue - blue leg hermits for the win.

-Scott

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back