OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He definitely loves hanging out under his rock. Every now and then I see him move up to the top shelf and hide out under those rocks, and I've caught him hanging out of one of Smiley's eyes a few times, but most of his time is spent in the bottom.

20190215_152541.jpg

Ember thinks that is just fine because it leaves all the small crevasses for her to tuck into. Oddly enough, I haven't seen her go into the barnacle cluster yet. I think the opening may be too large and she doesn't feel as safe. In any case I like how it fits into the scape and maybe a future fish will call it home.

20190215_175730.jpg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first of the new goodies came in yesterday. First day off night shift and I was really exhausted so I didn't update.

IM Wavelink powerheads and inTank media basket. The power heads are REALLY strong and almost completely silent. They got a lot more quiet as they broke in over the course of yeaterday, so I'm expecting them to be silent by the end of today. The inTank basket was a tiny bit too tall, so I trimmed about an 1/8" off the bottom. This is supposedly normal because the tanks aren't exactly the same or something. Easy fix with the Dremel.

20190225_164836.jpg
20190225_165028.jpg
20190225_165256.jpg
20190225_165300.jpg

Sadly, I didnt take any pictures of them in the tank... I'll have to do that when I get home this evening.

20190225_165241.jpg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those pumps look exactly like the Coralbox ones I got from reef breeders, different controller though.
I thought the same thing. They look like a Jebao/Coralbox pump with a fancy controller. Hopefully they hold up.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't believe I missed this build, I knew you were a fellow golden dwarf lover. Glad to see he is doing well, I must say in the nano it will be easier to find him come feeding time. In my 90 some time I spend 10 min hunting him down so I can feed him. Stitch has a couple of spots he likes but will throw me for a loop sometimes. I think he does that to get away from the serpent star that seems to follow him wherever he goes. I was feeding my silver sides because that's all he would respond to. A great thing happen though, a friend makes home made food and I buy some from him. Stitch loves it and eats as much as I feed the rest of the tank. It's gotten easier since I can read his body language and tell when he's hungry.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTS uglies... full blown diatom phase, and I think we're trying to grow some algae also. Time to get some clean up crew. Oh you can see the Wavelinks, also. They are dead silent now after break in.

20190227_193525.jpg
20190227_215620.jpg

Every now and then, the Google home randomly has a good picture... I would love to be able to load apps for controllers on this thing, but it doesnt have that capability. Instead I'll use it like a digital photo album. Once I figure out how to use it, that is.

20190227_214807.jpg

Oh, and we added our first coral! It's a ricordea florida. I got this from a friend as a pencil eraser sized baby. It's about half open right now because I moved it. It's been in my 90, and when full it touches the sand and spreads halfway across the flat part of that frag rock.

20190227_214850.jpg

My plan is to cover the bottom part of the tank in ricordea. Lots and lots of ricordea. The top part is still undecided.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turtle's toys came in. Clips to hold the Red Sea lid in place, Innovative Marine Mightyjet desktop return pump and an Autoaqua Smart AWC+ATO.

First up is the screen top. I've had the frame built for a little while, I was just waiting on clips to hold it on the rim of the glass. We installed them then Turtle put the net in. It sits perfectly flush with the rim and looks great.

20190228_183612.jpg
20190228_183620.jpg

Yep, T5 is still sitting on the rim. It has a glass splash guard and doesn't get that hot. I'm not going to bother with a mount when it's only temporary.

Next, Innovative Marine Mightyjet! This thing is QUIET. I cannot hear the thing running. At all. I guess if I could get my ear inside the return chamber I might hear something... it fits very well in the back and I used some new 1/2" hose to hook it up.

20190228_181020.jpg
20190228_181027.jpg
20190228_181108.jpg
20190228_181143.jpg
20190228_182139.jpg

20190228_181033.jpg

Last but not least (especially by cost) is the Autoaqua Smart AWC+ATO. I'm not going to hook it up quite yet. I have some cable and controller management that needs to be done. I'm going to build a false back for the cabinet and mount my controllers to it with the cables neatly tucked behind it. After that I'll get the ATO part hooked up for now. I'll have to work on figuring out AWC containers and pump placement in the tank.

20190228_184656.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added two snails from my 90. We needed it, before things got out of hand.

This is an astrea that I've had from my very first CUC purchase ever, two years ago. He is the last of the Mohicans. All the others I got in that order have perished in some form or the other. They do work on algae, but unfortunately act like Turtle if they get on their back. Check out the clean spots... I set him down below where he is now last night. He cleaned out a trail going around that little nub of a branch rock and up the front of it to where he is on the top.

20190228_173048.jpg

The other snail is a nerite... about useless if you ask me, but I added it because I didnt have another astrea. Here is where I found him this afternoon. On the glass, in the corner, sitting at the top of the water. What they always do in the Fairy Tale. I moved him to the rocks again, hopefully he will figure out what his job is before he gets fired.

20190228_173101.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't believe I missed this build, I knew you were a fellow golden dwarf lover. Glad to see he is doing well, I must say in the nano it will be easier to find him come feeding time. In my 90 some time I spend 10 min hunting him down so I can feed him. Stitch has a couple of spots he likes but will throw me for a loop sometimes. I think he does that to get away from the serpent star that seems to follow him wherever he goes. I was feeding my silver sides because that's all he would respond to. A great thing happen though, a friend makes home made food and I buy some from him. Stitch loves it and eats as much as I feed the rest of the tank. It's gotten easier since I can read his body language and tell when he's hungry.

Sorry in all that I forgot to tell you the tank looks great, I do love those tanks. Scape looks nice and it's a great home for your little guy.

I feel horrible, I'm just now seeing these comments. :(

Welcome aboard, grab a beer and pull up a chair.

I felt the same way about adding him to my 90, it would be really hard to get food to him before the other fish demolished his food. I've been feeding mostly the LRS Chunky, which is a nice mix of meaty foods. The clowns, tomini tang and melanarus wrasse would have it picked clean by the time I got to the bottom of a 24" tank that is 5' tall. The calamari tentacles are tougher and would last the trip, but I like giving a good variety in their diet.

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 54 74.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back