Two New Firefish in a 10 g Nano tank

bigR2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased two Firefish from my local shop. I am unsure if they are a mated pair - from what I have noticed thus far (they have been in the tank for about a day or so) they are very shy, which I expected, and have been slightly aggressive toward one another. However, the back of my tank is an open area and a good ¨bolt-spot¨, and the two have been hovering there.

I am under the impression that Firefish are relatively docile but are very good at killing one another. Do I just cross my fingers and pray they become buddies? Is this aggravated behavior normal for new fish?

This is my first marine tank and I am curious about what other Firefish keepers feed their Firefish as well.

Thank you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigR2

bigR2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
p.s.

My tank currently holds:
  • 6 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs
  • 5 Margarita Snails
  • 2 Firefish
  • A green mushroom
  • A Duncan frag

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, 10 gallons is too small for two firefish that aren't a pair. Unless they are actually a m/f pair, the aggression will only get worse as the fish get settled. In which case, you're likely going to have to remove one or you risk losing the weaker of the two.

As for feeding, firefish aren't picky eaters, so a mix of frozen & dry (micro pellets & flake) should be good. Even for reliable eaters, I like to have several different kinds of foods that I rotate feeding.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 40.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back