Two or three?

SalinFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 80gal with measurements of 48x24x16. I already have a Radion on my other tank and know first-hand the growth I get, so I'm going to stick with what I know works. The question is two XR15w G4 Pros or three? I'm looking to eventually keep acros, montis, etc, and eventually a clam when my tank matures a bit more.

Thoughts?

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of bracing does the tank have? What kind of livestock are you looking to keep?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How hard core are you going to be? Some of the hardcore acro heads will use a XR30 every foot, but some less. The really successful acropora tanks lit by Radions have a bunch of units up way high and turned up nearly all the way.

I guess that this is a long-winded way to say, that it depends and is totally up to you.

OP
OP
SalinFL

SalinFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How hard core are you going to be? Some of the hardcore acro heads will use a XR30 every foot, but some less. The really successful acropora tanks lit by Radions have a bunch of units up way high and turned up nearly all the way.

I guess that this is a long-winded way to say, that it depends and is totally up to you.

lol... yes that is very true... I guess I'm looking for that magic dust/fail safe answer. I'm trying to eliminate dead spots and am just not sure how much the light will degrade as it spreads out. The specs say it has a 24" spread, but how weak is the light around the 20 to 24" mark? Is there sufficient light there for adequate growth or would three 15's give better coverage? I was hoping someone who has Radion's would see this because I know my question is so brand specific.

@pluikens - there is no bracing on my tank. It's an Innovative Marine 80 gallon - I would buy the mountable arms for each lighting box and hang them on the back wall. For livestock, I'm looking to keep acros, montis, etc, and eventually a clam when my tank matures a bit more. My tank is too young at the moment for any of them, but I've got the funds for lights right now.

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thought is to use 2 lights and then add Orphek led bars which could eliminate any shading. They are great lights.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back