Two pairs of clownfish

Linoss17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 20 gallon tank I purchased a clownfish and a diamond goby as my first fish. I was recently gifted two more clownfish and now I have an uneven number of clownfish. Is it possible if I purchase one more small clownfish two keep 2 pairs in the tank?

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it likely won’t work with three or four clowns. 3 clowns is a fighting triangle and four clowns is a 2v2. I would say rehome the least favourite of the 3

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 20 gallon tank I purchased a clownfish and a diamond goby as my first fish. I was recently gifted two more clownfish and now I have an uneven number of clownfish. Is it possible if I purchase one more small clownfish two keep 2 pairs in the tank?

No is short answer - tank is too small to house 2 pairs of clownfish.

You don't say SIZE aka sex(es) of your clownfish - IF very small which equates to very young, perhaps you can have those original 3 sort out who will be female, who will be male and who will be forced to remain juvenile ... so if the female ever finds male lacking for any reason, she will kill him and allow the juvenile to grow into male

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a small tank like that (and in all reef tank that is not enormous) you should just have 1 female clown. Some species just one pair while other species you can keep one female, one male and other unsexed juveniles.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 3 may get along for a while. Ultimately it will probably turn into a royal rumble.

I like the way you word 'royal rumble' lol

No is short answer - tank is too small to house 2 pairs of clownfish.

You don't say SIZE aka sex(es) of your clownfish - IF very small which equates to very young, perhaps you can have those original 3 sort out who will be female, who will be male and who will be forced to remain juvenile ... so if the female ever finds male lacking for any reason, she will kill him and allow the juvenile to grow into male

If my post isn't clear, if female finds male lacking for ANY reason, she will kill him - even if there is no juvenile waiting in the wings... Species behavior doesn't change when they are in an aquarium. The last one standing/swimming (female) also doesn't realize after a hobbyist witnesses that harassment until death we are unlikely to put another clownfish in aquarium...

On the bright side, single clownfish does well on its own.

Guess its like koalas - everyone thinks clownfish look cute - but they are NOT funny (or nice)! Sure are cute though!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If my post isn't clear, if female finds male lacking for ANY reason, she will kill him - even if there is no juvenile waiting in the wings... Species behavior doesn't change when they are in an aquarium. The last one standing/swimming (female) also doesn't realize after a hobbyist witnesses that harassment until death we are unlikely to put another clownfish in aquarium...

Guess its like koalas - everyone thinks clownfish look cute - but they are NOT funny (or nice)! Sure are cute though!

and a little more backstory on your fish and your aquarium:

I came across your other thread. I am guessing it is same aquarium and two of the three clownfish above post references. It looks like back on 12/12 you were advised of fish aggression with two clownfish as the root cause of shredded tail fins ... really don't see why you would want to add more fuel to your clownfish fight

Last edited:
OP
OP
Linoss17

Linoss17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and a little more backstory on your fish and your aquarium:

I came across your other thread. I am guessing it is same aquarium and two of the three clownfish above post references. It looks like back on 12/12 you were advised of fish aggression with two clownfish as the root cause of shredded tail fins ... really don't see why you would want to add more fuel to your clownfish fight
I have a small clownfish he’s about an inch maybe less and I was gifted these two new clownfish and they’re about double his size he looks tiny compared to them. I had two clownfish to begin with but one had shredded fins the day I purchased him I just didn’t notice it until I left my lfs. My smaller clownfish of the three hasn’t shown any aggression but the other two bigger sized one twitch when they get near each other

OP
OP
Linoss17

Linoss17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These are the fish and their sizes one is about an inch the other two are about two inches

Attachments

• IMG_6297.MOV
    21.4 MB

Vagabond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
This is an interesting,I have a 1reefer 170 and currently only have 3 clowns.A mating pair and another male.They all get along,the pair currently have eggs that they’re taking care of but no fighting among them.Maybe the size of the DT being 35g .

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small clownfish he’s about an inch maybe less and I was gifted these two new clownfish and they’re about double his size he looks tiny compared to them. I had two clownfish to begin with but one had shredded fins the day I purchased him I just didn’t notice it until I left my lfs. My smaller clownfish of the three hasn’t shown any aggression but the other two bigger sized one twitch when they get near each other
These are the fish and their sizes one is about an inch the other two are about two inches
This is an interesting,I have a 1reefer 170 and currently only have 3 clowns.A mating pair and another male.They all get along,the pair currently have eggs that they’re taking care of but no fighting among them.Maybe the size of the DT being 35g .

In this hobby, everything is always fine right up until it isn't...

Glad it is working for you, but have a plan B in case it changes.

Good luck to you both!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocellaris and Percula are docile. You can keep a few in the tank together, but only 1 female. The juveniles will get beat up by the mature pairs once in a while, missing scales and torn fins here and there, and not able to get into the host anemone during the day, but they will allow them in the host at night.
I often keep trio but expect the smaller one often with wound(s), like the one you have. That is the extended of the damage. I always have anemone for them. I don't think you tank can support an anemone. If I am you I woul djust keep the three or even return the smallest one to the LFS.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back