Type of growth?

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So shortly after buying a sand sifting star, two dottybacks and a goniporoa, my BTA started to stay closed more. He even moved a little from where he was. I thought at the time that it was possibly because the Goni was close. Then I thought the dottybacks were messing with him. I read somewhere that someone was mixing Reef Roids and Red Seas A+B to feed their corals so started to do this too, since he was a little fella. It did more harm than good and he retreated more. I decided I’d move him closer to the lights (where he can still get in the shade) and in a box away from the fish just in case. He has been trying to come back some. I shone my flashlight on him this morning and he peeked up nicely. I’ve turned the whites off since I’m battling cyano still, but he’s very close to the blues so he should be getting plenty of light. Anyhow, I noticed that his foot looks like there is something on it. I’m not sure if it’s a growth, a parasite, pest or perhaps he moved into a verminted snail. I have a ton of those. I also have hopes he will move to the larger rock, but he’s staying put on his spot and I’m not forcing him off. Anyhow, here’s some pics of him. He looks bad, but responds to light and is stuck nicely so I’m hopeful. This photo was taken with no blues, just all whites. He’s pretty pale too. Any ideas what this could be on his foot? Course of action? I have $70.00 and was wanting to find a test kit( mine is gone) and get some ro filters since they are due but if I have to buy him some meds he will take precedence.

4A5F4BC7-639D-4FCB-9A23-870E41B71A77.jpeg 5038FC7E-D5B9-45CA-B602-F07A8DD905F1.jpeg

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can try to get a better angle maybe.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh hold up, what is this?! It’s moving. (Little black thing on him.

3E8E1CC1-702E-4602-9213-D4FD8AA997E1.jpeg F37E5E91-D77F-4F60-80A4-3BBD0BC6BD8A.jpeg C8D66A7C-4CEC-435E-8AFE-8894149336A3.jpeg EF05032B-56B5-4860-A180-DCD4E51AA57A.jpeg

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost looks like the column got damaged.
Yes it does but how? Would the fish do it? Since placing him in the tank months ago, I haven’t touched him. He’s barely moved any. He was on a barnacle but moved down to this super tiny rock and stayed put. Then the growth started to get larger. I have noticed the orchid dottyback get kinda close but I didn’t see any of them actually try to eat him.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just based on how bleached your BTA is, the problem may not be associated with the tank inhabitants but more to do with your set up and tank conditions. Can you provide us with your tank specs -- size, age, type of lighting, and flow?

My initial reaction is that you probably don't have enough light, and that you may have excess nutrients (which causes the algae I see in the photos as well as the cyano that you're battling). Once you get those two things sorted out, I think the nem can fully recover.

I typically don't worry about foot damage with BTAs, as long as it's not the very bottom where it attaches. They're very resilient and can get past injuries as long as they're somewhat healthy.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a Waterbox 70. 2. The system as a whole is a couple years old (rocks and sand) but the actual tank is about 13 months old. When I started I used tap water, as at the time I was told it’s ok for cycling. Then I started to use the bottled water from Walmart. Since start my phosphates have been really high. I was told to ride them out and limit my white light, and get an algae blenny to eat the hair algae in the mean time. She was murdered by my clowns some time back, though. (I watched the female pick at her , but was too late on moving her) I don’t have my levels right now, I don’t have a test kit. (As mentioned earlier I have the money now but have to wait for shipping) Tank inhabitants are: 2 ocelleris clownfish, two dottybacks; a black neon(still a juvie) and an orchid, a watchman goby and pistol shrimp. I usually do water changes about every two to three weeks, 12 gallons each time. It’s due one now but again, waiting on filters to come. (Long story, had planned both sooner, things didn’t work out like it should have) my lights are the Current USA Dual Loop, with an Orbit Marine to supplement them. On PAR with the three I’m not exactly sure, but the nem had been doing perfectly fine under them until the addition of the dottys and Goni. The Goni would reach out and could almost touch the nem when was when it started to retract. The nem itself is small, it’s about as big around as a dime. He had been about 8” under the lights but now he’s a lot closer since he’s in the box.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh for water movement I have two current USA Eflux powerheads, the 660s. One on each side. And the return flow nozzle (could do with an upgrade, It’s a cheap aquaneat)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back