Uglies or something worse?

nlastner

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 28, 2025
Messages
197
Reaction score
186
Location
Pasadena
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!


So this tank has been up and running for about two months now.


Everything was going smoothly at first, but then my auto feeder accidentally dumped more food than it should have—and I didn’t catch it right away. Next thing I knew, I had a bloom in the tank. I added a UV sterilizer and some Chemi-Pure to help bring the phosphates down.


Now I’m dealing with a ton of green algae. It’s not hair algae, and it doesn’t look brown enough to be diatoms. It might be green cyano, but honestly, I’m not 100% sure.


Here are my current parameters:


  • Nitrate: 0.53
  • Phosphate: 0.08

Last night, I removed all the Chemi-Pure and carbon filtration to try increasing nutrient levels, just in case that’s contributing to the issue.


I’ve attached a video of the tank—any help identifying this stuff and figuring out what to do next would be super appreciated. Thanks!

 
Its normal progression of the rocks. Micro algae's are growing, rocks won't stay white. When you start seeing more algae, start increasing the number of algae grazers
 
Its normal progression of the rocks. Micro algae's are growing, rocks won't stay white. When you start seeing more algae, start increasing the number of algae grazers


Since turning off my uvs last night. It had turned into what looks like gha
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 27 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 6.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new