Uh oh it's Nuisance Algae Man! How often does he terrorize you?

How often do you have some type of algae issue?

• Constantly Something

Votes: 291 43.4%
  • Every Month

Votes: 38 5.7%
  • Every Few Months

Votes: 88 13.1%
  • A Few Times A Year

Votes: 93 13.9%
  • Once A Year Or So

Votes: 65 9.7%
  • Every Few years

Votes: 30 4.5%
  • Never.....(are you lying?)

Votes: 42 6.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 24 3.6%

• Total voters

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how much of a CUC do you have in your tank? We have a 40 gal with 2 urchins, 2 emerald crabs, 1 blue leg hermit, newly added halloween hermits, easy 10 nassarius snails and a yellow tang that loves to pick - but with all this the algae still exists.

In the 50g I have 1 Mexican Turbo Snail, 1 Tiger Sand Conch, 1 Blue Tuxedo Urchin, 3 Blue Leg Hermit Crabs, 2 Trochus Snails, 7 Astraea Snails, and 9 Nassarius vibex snails. I think all I'd like to add are some cerith snails to get into all the places the bigger guys can't reach.

My 10g has 3 Astraea snails and at least a million (pretty sure it's a million) bristleworms. Almost no algae to be seen.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have so much GHA and Aptasia that I am ready to take out all the rock, cook it and start over unless someone can help me find a solution to get rid of it all.

16010550710087120997996260550699.jpg
I would buy about 10 Berghia Nudibranches and put them in your tank at night, I would try Floconazole for the hair algae. I would not take down the tank, white out will not kill the aptasia.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E-V-E-R-Y-D-A-Y!...OMG! Turf algae is a real pain!
I think I have this, does it grow like carpet on the sand and cover the rocks? can you blow it off with a turkey baster and it grows back in 4 days?

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after 2+ years of the tank setup the only algae issue I've ever had was keeping it growing in my algae scrubber. have never had any issues in the DT.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. How often do you have some type of algae issue? Never

What types of algae seem to be the most problem for you? N.A.

3. How long do you think it's possible to go without an algae problem? Never had an algae problem personally, but I've had a wicked case of athletes foot once.

giphy.gif

Sorry, I may have Miss Red the question?

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see hair algae from time to time, but never in sufficient quantities to worry about it. Same with cyano. I see more of it in my frag tank than I do anywhere else, I just changed my flow in that tank to try to discourage detritus build-up which I think may help. I am careful with my nutrient levels, have good export systems and just enough CUC.

Trueblue17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been running for 5 years and in the first three years it's seen them all. For the last two years it's been on cruise control with no major algae problems. Now the only one that pops up once and a while is a little Cyano. If I don't do anything it will eventually go away on it's own, usually within a month or so. In lieu of waiting I run some Chemiclean and it's gone in a couple of days. Running an ATS and a good CUC has helped immensely in keeping my tank algae free.
For me the algae that was really a pain to get rid of was turf algae. Eventually I needed to do a back to back treatment of Flucanozole to rid the tank of that.
yes me too with the turf algae and dinos in my new tank that got trasfered on a frag plug from the old system , i just started to try dino-x , on dose 4 now and seems to be working wonders , both dinos and red turf algae are just about gone already.

Neil Fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with wild harvested rock that was well cured. I had some bryopsis a little while back but very limited. Regular CUC and two tangs keep it down, plus my sump has a bunch of Pond Matrix in it that keeps nitrates down. Just started a fuge to try to get some pods going. Also have a bunch of Colts and Leathers constantly growing. I find if green is growing the Dino's won't come. I feed a bunch to try and grow macro algae.
20200904_141045.jpg

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put never because to me a little algae here and there isn’t an issue. It’s normal and natural. If your lights are strong enough and nutrients are adequate for rapid coral growth, algae can grow as well. I tend to believe algae “issues” or plague problems are more a result of a young, biologically immature tank and/or inadequate herbivores.

NewGoby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't had any issues since I merged my 1st smaller tank was 3 months old (almost 3yrs ago now).
Have a few different CUC members - a tang, couple of shrimp, couple of snails, hermit crabs & an urchin.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes me too with the turf algae and dinos in my new tank that got trasfered on a frag plug from the old system , i just started to try dino-x , on dose 4 now and seems to be working wonders , both dinos and red turf algae are just about gone already.
Glad to hear you're almost free of them. Yeah, when my tank had dinos I thought I was in for a long battle. But I had them under control within a month using a UV. The turf algae on the other hand took me longer and was a real nuisance. Manual removal and two back to back treatments of Flucanozole finally took care of them.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had an issue with dinos for the first time in 20+ years but I can't recall ever having an algae issue. I take that back, I did have some racemosa get in a tank around 2012 that was a pain in the butt to deal with.

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have minor issues with green hair algae, but for the most part algae is under control in my system. A combo of a large refugium, a large CuC and a hungry tang keep nuisance algae mostly at bay in the DT.

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my tank (and me as a reefer) "matured" at ~ 2 years I've had no nuisance algae of any concern in my DT. I guess that I attribute that to my legion of Pincushion Urchins, my refugium, and that afore-mentioned "maturity". And the Urchins help keep the layers of coraline algae under control. I have bubble algae in areas of the sump where I get leakage from the refugium light, but it does not take hold in my DT.

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since moving to my current location, I have had a lot of trouble with GHA. It caused me to just give up eventually. But I think that may have been due to my use of treated tap water; this city water supply I believe has higher levels of phosphate than my previous location. So therefore for the current setup I have acquired a 5-stage RO/DI system.

Brandy R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do manual removal. I completely remove the rock from my tank for bubble algae. Frags haven't attached yet, except one. Just had some red slime algae. It usually pops up every few months. I over feed though. I usually battle bubble algae about every month and half.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
625G been running since 11/1/19 and so far no algae issues. It helps to have a bunch of tangs and angels that are grazing all the time. Also found in the past and again now that running a refrugium helps. The 3 amigos9Gem, YT, & PT) along with blondie (Blonde naso) and hippo enjoy the “rock salad” which I supplement with nori and chaeto treats. Achilles starts QT on 9/29 so hopefully he will join the festivities in 30 days or so!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back