Uhhhh... My nassarius snail keeps laying eggs

taylorn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooo, I purchased 2 nassarius snails and 2 nerites for my 20g tank after the first sight of diatoms (my tank is barely 2 months old). The first time I saw the eggs was probably a week ago. Wasn’t really completely sure what they were (eggs did not even come to mind). I knew they were from my nassarius snail but I just thought it was sand that was stuck to my glass from being on the snail’s foot (if that’s the proper term). I wiped it away using an algae scraper and that was that. Probably a few days ago, I caught my nassarius snail in the act and thought nothing of it. I was admiring my tank and clownfish this evening and it finally clicked in my head that they could be eggs. I did a quick search of what nassarius snail eggs looked like and bingo, they’re snail eggs! I have no inclination to keep them because I cannot sustain that amount of hungry nassarius’s in my tank. I tried researching how to kill/remove them but I’ve come up blank. Not sure if they’ll even hatch, but I’d like to limit the possibilities. If anybody has experience with this problem please help. Thanks in advance!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confident they are from the nerites. Those guys lay eggs like crazy but I don't think they will survive in the reef

OP
OP
taylorn13

taylorn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confident they are from the nerites. Those guys lay eggs like crazy but I don't think they will survive in the reef
That’s what I thought at first but I literally caught my nassarius snail doing the act. I know they’re very hard to breed but I have seen both of my nassarius snails “bump” each other. I’ve also dealt woth nerite eggs in freshwater aquariums and they look completely different (eggs could also look different though given they’re freshwater nerites). Anyways I’m pretty confident they’re from my nassarius.

OP
OP
taylorn13

taylorn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this helps anything, I do plan on getting 1 or 2 sexy sheimp as soon as my lfs has them in stock again. Was also debating on a fire shrimp instead of the sexy shrimp if that makes any difference.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My trochus in my lagoon recently started spawning and the fish have loved it LOL

FREE FOOD!
giphy.gif

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I thought at first but I literally caught my nassarius snail doing the act. I know they’re very hard to breed but I have seen both of my nassarius snails “bump” each other. I’ve also dealt woth nerite eggs in freshwater aquariums and they look completely different (eggs could also look different though given they’re freshwater nerites). Anyways I’m pretty confident they’re from my nassarius.

Ah ok. I think that they will not survive either way.

OP
OP
taylorn13

taylorn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok. I think that they will not survive either way.
Hoping its that way. The 2nd batch of eggs have been there for maybe 3-4 days and I think the eggs hatch in 3-5 days so fingers crossed I dont have hundreds of little baby nassariuses crawling around my tank and sandbed

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Free food - just leave them. If they manage to survive- free snails, cleaner tank !!

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this rather than starting a new thread -

I have one nassarius snail in my tank. It's been in there for 3 weeks and has laid eggs on the glass and the back wall 3 times. I thought it may be one of my trochus snails, but I caught the nassarius in the act this morning. I have zero expectation that these will be anything other than fish food, but I'm curious as to how my one snail is repeatedly laying eggs?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back