Unable to quarantine, how to proceed?

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am setting up a 75 gal reef and I wont be able to setup a proper quarantine. I dont need to purchase at a local fish store I can order online. Is DRReefs, TSM etc a viable option? There is a new local store that says they are doing a week minimum quarantine and then have certain fish that are quarantined with copper for a month minimum. I dont know if I trust it 100% but just looking to set myself up for as much success as possible.

Fish I am looking for is

Scopas tang
Pink streak wrasse
2 black Clowns of some sort
midas blenny (or something else)

Standard inverts with maybe a cleaner shrimp.

I think thats more than enough in a 75g but with tangs being so succeptable to disease it scares me a bit.

Thanks for the help!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am setting up a 75 gal reef and I wont be able to setup a proper quarantine. I dont need to purchase at a local fish store I can order online. Is DRReefs, TSM etc a viable option? There is a new local store that says they are doing a week minimum quarantine and then have certain fish that are quarantined with copper for a month minimum. I dont know if I trust it 100% but just looking to set myself up for as much success as possible.

Fish I am looking for is

Scopas tang
Pink streak wrasse
2 black Clowns of some sort
midas blenny (or something else)

Standard inverts with maybe a cleaner shrimp.

I think thats more than enough in a 75g but with tangs being so succeptable to disease it scares me a bit.

Thanks for the help!
I would suggest you make a deal with your fish store, i.e. lengthen the time they hold/QT the fish for you - and observe the fish carefully - that they are Well fed, etc. Try to match the parameters as closely as possible to the LFS.

I tend to buy fish from an LFS that does QT - and keep their fish at 1.025/6 SG. There are also places online that sell Quarantied fish. I would tend to try with your LFS - because you can observe the fish yourself before making the final purchase

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my humble opinion, if you want to succeed in this hobby, you need to master the art of QT. I know it’s a pain, but as with everything, it becomes easier with practice. Look at all the money you are spending on your display tank. Now take a fraction of that and invest in a QT.

I’ve heard TSM does a very nice job of quarantine but I’ve never used them myself.

One thing that I don’t understand with stores that quarantine-every time you add a new fish, shouldn’t the quarantine cycle for ALL the fish in that system start all over again? Unless the systems are all separated?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my humble opinion, if you want to succeed in this hobby, you need to master the art of QT. I know it’s a pain, but as with everything, it becomes easier with practice. Look at all the money you are spending on your display tank. Now take a fraction of that and invest in a QT.

I’ve heard TSM does a very nice job of quarantine but I’ve never used them myself.

One thing that I don’t understand with stores that quarantine-every time you add a new fish, shouldn’t the quarantine cycle for ALL the fish in that system start all over again? Unless the systems are all separated?
At my LFS they are separated. And there are dates and times listed on all of the tanks of what and when they received. IMHO the thing people need to master is not going for the cheapest fish - and not making impulse buys (like - yeah - that fish looks sick - but I want it). Its all part of experience.

OP
OP
slythy

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I do QT for my freshwater fish but am able to do so with a 10g aquarium with high success but I'm sure the added stress of being in a 10G aquarium with minimal filtering is less than Ideal. I do not have the space to add any other aquarium or any added equipment. My FW QT is going to be torn down / remade to accommodate the fish i have in my 70g thats getting converted to my reef.

I think in the future when I have more space or eventually turn my 180 into a reef aquarium then I will do a proper QT inhouse but I think at this point I am unable to give the fish the QT that someone who does it all the time can.

FEED ME ZOAS

Eater of Zoas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've yet to order from Dr. Reef but I've been in contact with him to work out some details and hes been very communicative and transparent when I've asked questions. I'm certainly going to order from him soon.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Online QT is fine. Live Aquaria Diver's den is one I have ordered from, but there are plenty of others.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back