!!!UNCLE ADAM HAS A WATER PICKLE!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am absolutely positive I'm not the only one who’s had some kind of light hearted experience with kids around the tank. There's just no way. Well it took me a few seconds, but when my 4 year nephew casually referenced, the “water pickle” at my sons B-day party this week I actually laughed out loud, for real. I mean it makes perfect sense right. Hear me out, it will I promise. A few hours earlier the kids were all wrapped around my little display in utter amazement at a big old black slug looking thing, sucking in sand at one end, and very hilariously “pooping” out a pile of perfectly formed sand pellets out the other. This guy stole the show completely. So I explained to them what it was, and went on to further explain exactly what he was doing and why.

If you hadn’t guessed it yet, this creature that had captivated them to no end, was of course a Black “sea cucumber”.

But in his mind, "sea" became “water” and "cucumber" naturally, became “pickle”. And I was utterly amused by this. So you see, Uncle Adam’s got a “water pickle”. And this got me thinking, I bet there’s a lot of funny stuff we have experienced with our kids and our tanks over the years. I'd love to hear some stories, even the ones bad ones if you care to share. #reef80 I’m kind of talking to you here. I remember the pics.

Let's have it. Anyone else have a “sea pickle” moment they feel like sharing?

Last edited:

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely amazing !!! Rofl ..

UNCLE ADAM , me and the rest of R2R would love to see the WATER PICKLE and more importantly the WATER BOX it's kept in along with the COLORFUL PENCILS that it swims among .

Often it's referred as the REEF TANK by adults .

Please uncle !!!

Test led

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not near as funny as yours, Uncle Adam. Since my son was two, every cleaner shrimp I have had in my tanks has been a "cleaner pimp" to him. He is now six and when his friends are over and he is showing them the new tank he has to always point out the "cleaner pimp" to them.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not near as funny as yours, Uncle Adam. Since my son was two, every cleaner shrimp I have had in my tanks has been a "cleaner pimp" to him. He is now six and when his friends are over and he is showing them the new tank he has to always point out the "cleaner pimp" to them.

Classic! I love it man thanks for sharing!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My granddaughter labeled my black sea cucumber "The Thing", and it was her favorite in the tank.
We had several pictures she did at school hanging on the fridge door back then.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My granddaughter labeled my black sea cucumber "The Thing", and it was her favorite in the tank.
We had several pictures she did at school hanging on the fridge door back then.

Nice one! "Thing" is pretty appropriate.

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any stories that come to mind but I had to comment that this is by far the funniest and thought provoking thread title I've ever seen!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't have any stories that come to mind but I had to comment that this is by far the funniest and thought provoking thread title I've ever seen!

Ha yeah I agree the mind can go a lot of directions with that one lol!

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 3&4 year old boys call my Bangaii Cardinal the 'police fish' I have no idea why, other than the black and white stripes like their toy cars :) and of course both clownfish are 'nemo'

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My 3&4 year old boys call my Bangaii Cardinal the 'police fish' I have no idea why, other than the black and white stripes like their toy cars :) and of course both clownfish are 'nemo'

lol that makes sense to me:)

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kids continue to insist that the hermit crabs are lobsters! Its a minor thing, but it makes me chuckle because of how many times we have stopped and looked at the real lobsters at the grocery store for sale.

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well, in my display all the fish are named after a corresponding member of the family, along with a few members of the extended family (i.e. Mommy fish, Daddy fish, Henry fish, Papa fish, etc.), and now there's enough that the last one is named "Bitey" because he is a starry blenny that bites the heck out of me whenever I stick my hand in the tank.

Well "Helen fish" happened to be a female Melanurus wrasse, which has since progressed like they do and become a big fancy male. Real Helen was not too keen on this for quite some time, and would consistently ask every time she looked at the tank "Am I a boy fish now?!!" Luckily she is an adaptable 3 year old and just rolls with it now, with no lost affinity for her name-sharing wrasse friend.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal Grandma is what my nephew called it. Water Pickle sounds like a good name for a green colored Acro... hint....hint.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, in my display all the fish are named after a corresponding member of the family, along with a few members of the extended family (i.e. Mommy fish, Daddy fish, Henry fish, Papa fish, etc.), and now there's enough that the last one is named "Bitey" because he is a starry blenny that bites the heck out of me whenever I stick my hand in the tank.

Well "Helen fish" happened to be a female Melanurus wrasse, which has since progressed like they do and become a big fancy male. Real Helen was not too keen on this for quite some time, and would consistently ask every time she looked at the tank "Am I a boy fish now?!!" Luckily she is an adaptable 3 year old and just rolls with it now, with no lost affinity for her name-sharing wrasse friend.

Outstanding, Bitey! man I love that

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a slightly less light hearted story about my 3 year old daughter. So Colonel Mustard is the yellow tang I've had for a few years. My witty foreign mother-in-law who loves cliches thought it funny to name him after the "clue" character. Anyways, so he's been through the tank change about 3 years ago and had some rough times; chloroquine phosphate works wonders for fish. Anyways, so he's in a 250 gallon with about 6 other tangs, and the old guy had seen better days, so I decided to move him to the quarantine tank. Unfortunately he was too far gone, and the meds didn't help. So I had to break the news to my 5 year old son, who lovingly promised to buy me a new one (he gets $5 a week allowance). I told him that Colonel Mustard was special, and I wasn't really ready for a new pet, but thank you. So my daughter comes in, and I tell her the same story as she looks at the quarantine tank. The first thing out of her mouth is "where's his bones"? They've seen one too many cartoons with the bones of cattle in the old west, that she assumed his bones would be floating around. It was cute, sweet, and terribly sad. My daughter made it up to me by giving me a Dory sticker for the tank.

Dory.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back