Union thread to bulk head thread??

Mele__Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the process of designing a blueprint for my hard pvc plumbing on a SCA 50 gal. My question is, is it safe to connect a threaded union to my threaded bulkhead? Or should I cut a piece of pvc pipe and slip it in the bulkhead then connect the union to the pvc that sticks out from the bulkhead? What's the best way for this? Any advice is greatly appreciated thanks.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can connect anything you have room for, but typically bulk head outside threads aren't standard, so a threaded nipple would be required inbetween the bulkhead inside threads and threaded union. Just use Teflon tape between threaded connections and you'll be fine.

Personally I would connect a elbow to the bulkhead and then use the union going down so it doesn't stick out so much.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do NOT connect ANYTHING to the bulkhead outside threads! These are intended ONLY for the large plastic nut that secures the bulkhead to the tank. Use the slip fittings.

Any other threaded fittings tend to leak btw they are very hard to get not to leak. I suggest all slip fittings. I also suggest a short stub PVC slip piece coming out of your bulkhead and then into a PVC compression fitting on that. You'll love the convenience of a compression fitting. You can rotate the plumbing at will within that fitting and it doubles and a union.

OP
OP
Mele__Reef

Mele__Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @ReeferBob. So, is it safe to use pvc cement/glue for the slip piece coming out of the bulkhead? Or will dry fitting be enough? Thanks.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @ReeferBob. So, is it safe to use pvc cement/glue for the slip piece coming out of the bulkhead? Or will dry fitting be enough? Thanks.

On the outside of the tank (bulkhead down) you must use the PVC cement. But you should not use any PVC on the inside (overflow compartment), just set your drains into the bulkhead. It doesn't matter if they leak a little.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before we write off threaded completely, let's put a little nuances to the argument for or against.

I've replumbed my entire house in pvc, pex, copper, brass. Hundreds of feet, and probably a thousand fittings. Threaded fittings done right (with liberal Teflon tape) and the right level of force for the respective fitting is completely leak proof.

With that said my bulkhead fittings are glued because they're under the tank. If I had an overflow above or near water level I would have considered threaded.

Threaded leaks are dependent on the installation, and shouldn't be shied away from when there is an appropriate need. Glue/sweat joints are often foolproof, but you shouldn't treat them as infallible as I've had those fittings fail, but more often with unions you forget to put the nut on the bulkhead BEFORE you glue them to union and then have to buy all new fittings and start over.

OP
OP
Mele__Reef

Mele__Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it! Also my setup came with a 1" drain and a 1/2" for my return. Is it possible to upgrade the the return side to 3/4" do you recommend that? Or would the 1/2" maintain more pressure. I will be running a 2 valve manifold for a media reactor and algae scrubber. Thanks for helping me out here. I really appreciate it ! @ReeferBob

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it! Also my setup came with a 1" drain and a 1/2" for my return. Is it possible to upgrade the the return side to 3/4" do you recommend that? Or would the 1/2" maintain more pressure. I will be running a 2 valve manifold for a media reactor and algae scrubber. Thanks for helping me out here. I really appreciate it ! @ReeferBob

It isn't possible. The bottom of the tank is tempered after they drill the hole so you cannot re-drill it. If you have a standard 2 tube corner/back overflow compartment I suggest doing a Herbie style drain using both holes as drains and then going over the back for the return. You will get much higher flow than a Durso style with no noise. But, 1/2" will flow plenty of return water to feed your drain.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used both of these for my drain like reeferbob suggested, works great and is nearly silent. The only downside is Then you have a pipe and over the top which makes having a screen top difficult. But I felt that it was worth it.

OP
OP
Mele__Reef

Mele__Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great idea! @ReeferBob. What size pipe should I use for my return? Also, since my drain is 1" and my stock return is 1/2". Which one should I use for the emergency overflow? Thanks

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure
97b99f301760d7763daa306a79f9abf8.jpg
2f18013fbb8ed70d63d6f6d672a99635.jpg

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 3/4" pipe for the return, It fit most of the hose fittings fine. Technically the bigger the better, but at a certain point the flex tube is very stiff. You can see I also have a separate 3/4" tube for the uv sterilizer that I added later, and for my water changing station. Some is threaded, but the permanent stuff is glued.

It's not the cleanest, but it gets the job done.

OP
OP
Mele__Reef

Mele__Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great I'm definitely doin the herbie conversion. Going to draw up a diagram of what my plumbing is going to look like. I'm also going to run a 2 valve manifold for a media reactor and a algae scrubber. I'll post the diagram to show you what I came up with when I finish it. @Ocelaris.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly suggest a few things: gate valve on the main drain (ball valve is too coarse), a check valve on the manifold so that you don't siphon too much water back when you turn off the pump. My returns are below the water level so when I turn off the pump, if I didn't have a check valve it would raise the water level in the sump to almost over flowing, and definitely overflow the skimmer. Most of the cepex ball valves have unions on them already, so that saves you a part.

If you think you'll tinker with the manifold a lot, the cepex ball valves that brs sells are really awesome. Though they are really pricey. My home depot ones are about 1.5 years old and getting pretty hard to turn. But the ball valves take a lot of space. In the case of a manifold the threaded fittings can save you space somewhat if you use bushings and street fittings.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my manifold for reference. The gate valve on the return has proven to be useless.
859c23b75d6f01755a23b40e3b2ccc0e.jpg

546d978be87be55ac252709a595ef51b.jpg

OP
OP
Mele__Reef

Mele__Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tips thanks. Where on the manifold should I install the check valve? In between the first valve and the T ?

OP
OP
Mele__Reef

Mele__Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha! Just saw your pic as soon as I posted. Thanks this is great @celaris

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back