Unique Fluorescent Lamp From Italy

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back from the Pets Festival in Italy. Saw these lamps - I'm trying to get one to test, and if results are favorable they might be available in the U.S. Available in four spectra - 6500, 10,000, 14,000 and 20,000K (advertised - probably much bluer than that) and in wattages up to 150.
r2rlight.jpg

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back from the Pets Festival in Italy. Saw these lamps - I'm trying to get one to test, and if results are favorable they might be available in the U.S. Available in four spectra - 6500, 10,000, 14,000 and 20,000K (advertised - probably much bluer than that) and in wattages up to 150.
r2rlight.jpg
Woah are those rings on either end of the lamp transformers or does the lamp have conventional high voltage contact connection to a ballast?? Not sure if I see any advantage over T5HO save for small cube tank form factors, but am curious to know more!

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, what would be the advantages over traditional t5 bulbs?

induction tubes.. No electrodes to burn out..
The internal electrodeless lamp or induction lamp is a gas discharge lamp in which an electric or magnetic field transfers the power required to generate light from outside the lamp envelope to the gas inside. This is in contrast to a typical gas discharge lamp that uses internal electrodes connected to the power supply by conductors that pass through the lamp envelope. Eliminating the internal electrodes provides two advantages:

Extended lamp life (internal electrodes are the most limiting factor in lamp life)[citation needed]
Ability to use higher-efficiency light-generating substances that would react with internal metal electrodes in conventional fluorescent lamps[citation needed]

Two systems are common: plasma lamps, in which electrostatic induction energizes a bulb filled with sulfur vapor or metal halides, and fluorescent induction lamps, which are like a conventional fluorescent lamp bulb that induces current with an external coil of wire via electrodynamic induction.
http://www.inductionlighting.com/icetron_induction_info.html
icetron_how_it_works_graphic.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vendor told me the lamps' lifespan could be measured in years (not months as in 'regular' fluorescent lamps) with spectral depreciation of about 1-2% per year. I didn't take a PAR meter with me - darn it - but they were plenty bright and dimmable. Let me catch on my chores here, recover from jet lag and I'll contact the vendor. Might have a Christmas gift a little early!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty cool Dana, they might have just the right improvements to make fluorescent bulbs to make a comeback.

But they will struggle to be as slim and modern looking as the current crop of led fixtures out there. And they keep getting more features and still manage to lower the cost somewhat.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should note that these bulbs are about 4" x 8" (best guess, poor memory.) The vendor said the efficacy is up to 70 lumens per watt. Since there are no internal electrodes to 'sputter' every time the lamp strikes, these lamps' longevity could be that of a LED, plus operating temperature is very low (the lamps/housing were barely warm to the touch.) They operate on the same principle as a standard fluorescent lamp in respect to internal UV radiation excites phosphors, hence any spectrum found in a T5 lamp could be replicated. Initial purchase price is relatively high, but longevity/number of units required should be an offset. Thank you Mr. Tesla!

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I just might bite on something like that, though I wonder how difficult it will be to form efficient reflectors with the bulb shape.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Dana Riddle - It's hard to tell from the photo - what would you guess is the diameter of those bulbs in the longer dimension (i.e. where the induction coils are). Is it more like a T8 or a T5? I bet you could make a decent reflector that was shaped similar to a Luminarc and that the bulb itself would not block too much of the reflected light...

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Dana Riddle - It's hard to tell from the photo - what would you guess is the diameter of those bulbs in the longer dimension (i.e. where the induction coils are). Is it more like a T8 or a T5? I bet you could make a decent reflector that was shaped similar to a Luminarc and that the bulb itself would not block too much of the reflected light...
I should have taken some measurements... but I guessing 2 inches at the coil, so it would be a T-16.

Picci

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluorescent light from CHINA.

Very commonly used in China for large buildings and covered spaces... industries, gyms, public swimming pools.

They last long, very long... that'all.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluorescent light from CHINA.

Very commonly used in China for large buildings and covered spaces... industries, gyms, public swimming pools.

They last long, very long... that'all.
Let's be honest, it was probably Italy's IP first....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back