Unknown “burrowing” pest?

Acrochunks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings - wondering if anyone has seen anything like these on their sps?
Would love an I’d and eradication if possible?
did some macro work and stumbled on them by accident. Coral rx Dipping does not seem to clear whatever it is. At eye view they look like small black “pitting”.

0B119888-F993-4D93-A82B-A278468CD364.jpeg
41875947-394B-43D1-A246-92D3CE23B36D.jpeg

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question is are they moving, or are more like spots on the coral there?
Is it mass like flatworm or something like medusae ?
Really can't see much from the photos, but it look like part of the coral to me that way. I was think it's damaged spots from pest, but looking more I have the feeling I see the pest there. is it possible for you (like I understand you have good macro skills) try to take but of the flesh with that thing on it, or just peel off one fo them and make macro to can be seen properly separated from the coral.
The other think I can advice to get Seachem iodine dip and to use the maximum strength on the coral for the maximum time from the label(instructions).

Upvote 0

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is difficult to say for certain but if I were a betting man I'd say those are budding sites for new corallites. I recommend picking a few and take daily photos to see how they morph over time.

Upvote 1

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like new budding sites to me as well. I've never tried chemical dips but I have done freshwater dips when I had a flatworm invasion and it was like magic
it don't look that much like FW to me, can be bites by something, but the OP have to answer few questions 1st I think, to can ve get better understanding about what he show us on the coral. Not sure at all is it pest there at the moment, or it's bitten by pest (that can be marks), or it's something slug like over it, or something is inside (if that are holes)

Upvote 0

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I think a bit more, I member some of the France members (I was reading about), who use some growth hormone, and them corals was forced to grow, some of them had budding sites for new corallites very close to each other.
OP What's the growth speed of your corals usually? And what do you dose to the tank to support the growth rate ?

Upvote 0

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it don't look that much like FW to me, can be bites by something, but the OP have to answer few questions 1st I think, to can ve get better understanding about what he show us on the coral. Not sure at all is it pest there at the moment, or it's bitten by pest (that can be marks), or it's something slug like over it, or something is inside (if that are holes)
Oh no I wasn’t thinking this was flatworms. I was just saying how well the freshwater dip worked when I had a flatworms problem. Sometimes going back to the basics is the best. But I agree, it looks more like budding sites

Upvote 1

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think posts #2 and #5 give you the best advice.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Acrochunks

Acrochunks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question is are they moving, or are more like spots on the coral there?
Is it mass like flatworm or something like medusae ?
Really can't see much from the photos, but it look like part of the coral to me that way. I was think it's damaged spots from pest, but looking more I have the feeling I see the pest there. is it possible for you (like I understand you have good macro skills) try to take but of the flesh with that thing on it, or just peel off one fo them and make macro to can be seen properly separated from the coral.
The other think I can advice to get Seachem iodine dip and to use the maximum strength on the coral for the maximum time from the label(instructions).
Sorry about my very very late replies - I appreciate the feedback and response.
They do not seem to move, though they seem to have sweepers - as you can see in the photo. The contrast of color/shape of the other new corallites seem to differ.
I have had flatworms before and agree that these are not the same - I wish I could get a better macro. Its almost like a black spider web that's burrowed in the small holes.
I guess the wishful thinking would say its micro corallites.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Acrochunks

Acrochunks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I think a bit more, I member some of the France members (I was reading about), who use some growth hormone, and them corals was forced to grow, some of them had budding sites for new corallites very close to each other.
OP What's the growth speed of your corals usually? And what do you dose to the tank to support the growth rate ?
They are decently fast growers for SPS. I use ESV 2-Part and right around 150ml of each per day. Additionally, benepets and polyp lab colors..
75A91FF1-0E5F-4957-B4F5-771BC45B1392_1_201_a.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Acrochunks

Acrochunks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got some better shots. 15 min concentrate Rx dip does nothin

Attachments

• C5BF2EA2-F345-4372-8FF9-A54E6DF0A599.jpeg
    C5BF2EA2-F345-4372-8FF9-A54E6DF0A599.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 626CE3B3-471C-47FE-A063-9B2912700BCD.jpeg
    626CE3B3-471C-47FE-A063-9B2912700BCD.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 41
Upvote 0

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got some better shots. 15 min concentrate Rx dip does nothin
look like bites to me, are there coming more or still the same? [probably it's been post on it (if they don't go bigger and don't have new), which is gone already]

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back