Up Grade Spectrapure RODI

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,
I have a Spectrapure Max Cap 90 GPD RODI set up. I want to increase the water production. I have good water pressure at around 65-70psi. It takes me 10 min to make 1 gallon of product water. (too long IMO)
I was going to get a piggy back membrane which I believe will turn this set up into a roughly 180GPD set up. But was also thinking of getting a booster pump as well. Just not sure if I should with the PSI I am currently getting at 65-70. I understand I may not need one but I would like to make water much faster.
Looking for suggestions to upgrade this unit up.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a Spectrapure Max Cap 90 GPD RODI set up. I want to increase the water production. I have good water pressure at around 65-70psi. It takes me 10 min to make 1 gallon of product water. (too long IMO)
I was going to get a piggy back membrane which I believe will turn this set up into a roughly 180GPD set up. But was also thinking of getting a booster pump as well. Just not sure if I should with the PSI I am currently getting at 65-70. I understand I may not need one but I would like to make water much faster.

Get a booster pump. I have the exact setup you are looking to put together with 95-100 PSI going into my first membrane and only 45 going into the second which is just barely acceptable for membrane performance. With your PSI your second membrane will definitely not be getting enough pressure unless you run them in parallel but then your not saving any water. It will double your production if that's your sole goal however and don't mind producing twice the waste.

OP
OP
Coronus

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Get a booster pump. I have the exact setup you are looking to put together with 95-100 PSI going into my first membrane and only 45 going into the second which is just barely acceptable for membrane performance. With your PSI your second membrane will definitely not be getting enough pressure unless you run them in parallel but then your not saving any water. It will double your production if that's your sole goal however and don't mind producing twice the waste.
I didnt consider the fact with out a booster pump I might not have enough pressure for the 2nd membrane. Isent 90-100 really high and possibly detrimental?

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt consider the fact with out a booster pump I might not have enough pressure for the 2nd membrane. Isent 90-100 really high and possibly detrimental?

Not really detrimental, just the fittings aren't rated for anything much higher lol it usually sits around 97 PSI and without it I'm honestly not sure I'd run a second membrane. I've even toyed around with the idea of adding a booster between the two membranes but haven't gotten around to it yet.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes. You should be producing a nice stream of rodi water like the way #1 flows when you use the restroom after a long movie and a large soda. How long does it take you to fill a 5 gallon bucket w RODI?

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Coronus If my math is correct you are already producing 144 Gallons Per Day on a 90GPD Membrane, that's not fast enough?

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the setup I have I run 85psi into the first then just let the pressure run the other 2. I produce 5 gallons of 0tds water in about 35min with less than 3 gallon waste. It just so happens that my girlfriend has a 3 gallon water can for her flowers lol. After 3 membranes that's very good water for her plants and goldfish

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the setup I have I run 85psi into the first then just let the pressure run the other 2. I produce 5 gallons of 0tds water in about 35min with less than 3 gallon waste. It just so happens that my girlfriend has a 3 gallon water can for her flowers lol. After 3 membranes that's very good water for her plants and goldfish

Have you checked the pressure and TDS after each membrane?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really detrimental, just the fittings aren't rated for anything much higher lol it usually sits around 97 PSI and without it I'm honestly not sure I'd run a second membrane. I've even toyed around with the idea of adding a booster between the two membranes but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I thought I had read that the john guest fittings were only good up to 80psi. I just checked the john guest site and they say they are rated up to 160psi.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I had read that the john guest fittings were only good up to 80psi. I just checked the john guest site and they say they are rated up to 160psi.

I think the Murlok fittings are rated for less and I'm not sure about the actual membrane and filter housings though.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Just realize you are pushing all the bad stuff the first membrane rejected to the second membrane. This will shorten the life of the second membrane. By how much, who knows. It may be a few months or a few years.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back