OP
Coronus

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With the setup I have I run 85psi into the first then just let the pressure run the other 2. I produce 5 gallons of 0tds water in about 35min with less than 3 gallon waste. It just so happens that my girlfriend has a 3 gallon water can for her flowers lol. After 3 membranes that's very good water for her plants and goldfish
I thought with 3 membranes and a booster pump the set up would produce water much faster. If its 5 gal in 35 minutes thats 7min a gallon. I was for some reason thinking you would be in the 3-4 minute range per gallon. 7 min is great though. If I am doing 10:45 seconds per gal right now, (tested just now) I thought adding another membrane would double production to roughly 5 min a gallon. Was I wrong?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought with 3 membranes and a booster pump the set up would produce water much faster. If its 5 gal in 35 minutes thats 7min a gallon. I was for some reason thinking you would be in the 3-4 minute range per gallon. 7 min is great though. If I am doing 10:45 seconds per gal right now, (tested just now) I thought adding another membrane would double production to roughly 5 min a gallon. Was I wrong?

The massive decrease in pressure is what kills the production rate of the 2nd and 3rd membranes which makes them MUCH less efficient than the first one in line... if your membranes have low pressure they are producing MUCH more waste than a membrane that has appropriate pressure. They are also not performing the way they should rejection wise which will increase your DI Resin consumption drastically...

Last edited:

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally did it with 2 membranes and it was fast I would say 5 gal in about 1hr give or take. But I added the third to make it not only faster but it uses A LOT less water. I'm under 1 to 1 waste water. Like I said i make 5 gal good to 3 gal dirty. That was my main reason the speed was just a plus

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did the second membrane it made it faster but not that much.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something isn't adding up here. You have 240 TDS water running through a 5 stage RODI systems with no booster pump and you're able to consistently achieve max output of 90gpd? How long do the .5 micron sediment and carbon filters last? Do you notice that the output slows down when the filters need to be replaced?

What do you use to test your TDS?

Back