Upgrades People. Upgrades!

CryptoNautical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is my first post on R2R. I've been on for a bit but I'd like to share my journey.

So I started with a 30 bow front.
I started with dry rock and live sand. I've kept many reef tanks before but this is where we'll begin.

Screenshot_20210601-111859_Gallery.jpg

This was about 3 months in, the cycle was complete and from here it was smooth sailing. Well so far I have
2 Ai prime 16s,
with a 75gallon HOB filter
a tunze ATO system.
And 2 Hygger mini DC power heads

Screenshot_20210601-111921_Gallery.jpg

As Time went on the tank developed and then all of a sudden

Screenshot_20210601-111956_Gallery.jpg

This algea came and it just kept going. Eating practically the hole tank. The ugly faze began.

Screenshot_20210601-113315_Snapchat.jpg

The first thing I did was try to identify it. I feared it was diatoms but you can see it was algea.

Sadly I don't have many photos after the huge algea spike. My test looked good but the algea just kept coming back relentlessly. I got to the point where I was scrubbing portions of the rock work to help my cleanup crew get in there and help out. But it was only temporary.

This is what spurred me to look for methods to help me tackle this issue. The skimmer was working okay but I wanted a refugium and I was going to get a HOB refugium but at that point I made up my mind and decided to get a bigger tank and a sump. And now the adventure really begins.

I settled with a 40 gallon breeder and a 20 gallon long for my sump. Now I was sick of the HOB stuff so I decided to drill the tank. Which I've never done before.
Screenshot_20210601-110528_Gallery.jpg

I used aquarium safe silicone to install the baffles in the 20 and then went onto the next step of drilling. I practiced drilling some glass holes with the Homedepot "glass cutting" drill bit which was a huge bust. I cracked every single hole. So I ordered from BRS and got the real deal.
Screenshot_20210601-110014_Gallery.jpg

As yall can see it was a mess. I completely destroyed this 10 gallon just trying. And after the BRS bit. I got a perfect hole on the side lol.

I used my RODI system to keep constant water flow across the drill bit.

On to the 40
Screenshot_20210601-110104_Snapchat.jpg

The main thing I immediately notice with
the 40 was the much thicker glass than the 10 making glass drilling so much easier. Just had to be patient and let the drill do the work.
Screenshot_20210601-104609_Gallery.jpg

The holes were drilled and the bulkheads were in. I planned on using a 1in tubing for overflow and a 3/4 for the return. This later changed to 3/4 return and the same return. The 1in was just a little too large for my liking.

Now it's on to the Freshwater test.
Screenshot_20210601-110130_Snapchat.jpg

So far so good. Everything is going to plan. After multiple trips to Homedepot for plumbing. This was about 3 1/2 weeks in from the decision of moving to the 40gal.

I hooked up the sump and moved the tank inside. Now it's time to start the transition. I filled the 40 and sump to about 80% full of fresh and mixed the salt directly into tank to match my 30 gallon and matched the temp. It was time.

After a stressful 4 hours of cleaning rock transporting corals and moving sand we come to the finished product of 4 weeks
Screenshot_20210601-110202_Snapchat.jpg

It's not perfect or completely done but I'm proud of my work. My refugium starter is on order. My ATO is in and I've had it running for about 5 days now. Im glad I settled for upgrading to the 40gal, this'll give my clownfish plenty of space and more stability for the tank.

I hope yall enjoyed my work and I can't wait to read about yalls experience.

DapperCuttlefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is my first post on R2R. I've been on for a bit but I'd like to share my journey.

So I started with a 30 bow front.
I started with dry rock and live sand. I've kept many reef tanks before but this is where we'll begin.

Screenshot_20210601-111859_Gallery.jpg

This was about 3 months in, the cycle was complete and from here it was smooth sailing. Well so far I have
2 Ai prime 16s,
with a 75gallon HOB filter
a tunze ATO system.
And 2 Hygger mini DC power heads

Screenshot_20210601-111921_Gallery.jpg

As Time went on the tank developed and then all of a sudden

Screenshot_20210601-111956_Gallery.jpg

This algea came and it just kept going. Eating practically the hole tank. The ugly faze began.

Screenshot_20210601-113315_Snapchat.jpg

The first thing I did was try to identify it. I feared it was diatoms but you can see it was algea.

Sadly I don't have many photos after the huge algea spike. My test looked good but the algea just kept coming back relentlessly. I got to the point where I was scrubbing portions of the rock work to help my cleanup crew get in there and help out. But it was only temporary.

This is what spurred me to look for methods to help me tackle this issue. The skimmer was working okay but I wanted a refugium and I was going to get a HOB refugium but at that point I made up my mind and decided to get a bigger tank and a sump. And now the adventure really begins.

I settled with a 40 gallon breeder and a 20 gallon long for my sump. Now I was sick of the HOB stuff so I decided to drill the tank. Which I've never done before.
Screenshot_20210601-110528_Gallery.jpg

I used aquarium safe silicone to install the baffles in the 20 and then went onto the next step of drilling. I practiced drilling some glass holes with the Homedepot "glass cutting" drill bit which was a huge bust. I cracked every single hole. So I ordered from BRS and got the real deal.
Screenshot_20210601-110014_Gallery.jpg

As yall can see it was a mess. I completely destroyed this 10 gallon just trying. And after the BRS bit. I got a perfect hole on the side lol.

I used my RODI system to keep constant water flow across the drill bit.

On to the 40
Screenshot_20210601-110104_Snapchat.jpg

The main thing I immediately notice with
the 40 was the much thicker glass than the 10 making glass drilling so much easier. Just had to be patient and let the drill do the work.
Screenshot_20210601-104609_Gallery.jpg

The holes were drilled and the bulkheads were in. I planned on using a 1in tubing for overflow and a 3/4 for the return. This later changed to 3/4 return and the same return. The 1in was just a little too large for my liking.

Now it's on to the Freshwater test.
Screenshot_20210601-110130_Snapchat.jpg

So far so good. Everything is going to plan. After multiple trips to Homedepot for plumbing. This was about 3 1/2 weeks in from the decision of moving to the 40gal.

I hooked up the sump and moved the tank inside. Now it's time to start the transition. I filled the 40 and sump to about 80% full of fresh and mixed the salt directly into tank to match my 30 gallon and matched the temp. It was time.

After a stressful 4 hours of cleaning rock transporting corals and moving sand we come to the finished product of 4 weeks
Screenshot_20210601-110202_Snapchat.jpg

It's not perfect or completely done but I'm proud of my work. My refugium starter is on order. My ATO is in and I've had it running for about 5 days now. Im glad I settled for upgrading to the 40gal, this'll give my clownfish plenty of space and more stability for the tank.

I hope yall enjoyed my work and I can't wait to read about yalls experience.
Great job and thanks for sharing with us! Look forward to seeing the tank grow and flourish.

OP
OP
CryptoNautical

CryptoNautical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for just coming and checking out the build I really appreciate it.

I'll be posting a update here shortly. The tank is at a uncertain point due to my own actions.
Long story short the sea lettuce in my refugium was out competed by a brown slime algae (for about 2 months) and ended up killing the macro, so I cleaned it out. And resulted in a large white bacterial bloom (current)

I was aware of the amount of nutrients that would be released, so I did my best to clean and get as much crud out. Yet it wasn't enough.

On the plus note, I have plenty of aeration and all the coral and fish are doing well, even as the bloom is occurring.

I will post pictures. I'm just... well I'm embarrassed due to the state of the reef.

OP
OP
CryptoNautical

CryptoNautical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been quite some time since my last update. I've had a pretty rough September. Had a large cyno and bacterial bloom
Screenshot_20211022-142305_Gallery.jpg

I purchased a green killing machine

Screenshot_20211022-142258_Gallery.jpg

And it cleared it all up. I've recently added some new dry rock and added 3 small chromis to the tank. They've been a great addition :)

Screenshot_20211022-145126_Gallery.jpg

Back to hopefully smooth sailing, for now lol.
The tank is still young

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back