Upgrading from two 30 cubes to a 120

wingnrotor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. This is my first post!
I have been in the hobby for exactly 1 year. I got started on this obsession/addiction by watching the clean up crew of another person's tank. I couldn't get over how those hermits and snails just absolutely mesmerized me. So I dipped my toe in the water with a 30 gal bio cube. Then I quickly added a second and then a 20 long. I quickly realized I made a mistake by starting not just three tanks but three nano tanks. After numerous water quality issues, a terrible hair algae out break, and a years worth of twice weekly trips to the LFS for water I decided to upgrade. Another factor in my decision to upgrade was my extreme desire to own a Blue Hippo Tang. What I am hoping to achieve with the bigger tank is simply more stability in my water parameters. Unfortunately, I have a somewhat demanding job that often only lets me get home long enough to sleep. I need to be able to turn my back on the tank for a day or two and not have my parameters take a nose dive. I have also enlisted my wife to help when I have several busy days in a row. So, hopefully with the increased tank volume (120 + 40 in the sump), better skimmer, better lights, some help from my wife, and some great and helpful feedback from the community I will achieve the reef tank that I really want.

Now on to the build!

I will list all of my equipment here in a few days.
The first part of my build is going to be my RODI system. I got a 50 gal pd Neptune RODI system. I installed it using my clothes washer hookups and drains and will have an open head 50gal drum with auto shutoff. (see Pics)
IMG_0695.JPG
IMG_0696.JPG

Once I get the rest of my parts and pieces I will post more and more pictures. I just really wanted to get this thread started and use as a way to cool my jets and think before I do something.

Thanks for reading!

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would invest in a apex system and have it connected to the internet. This would allow you to monitor your tank while your away and also control things as well. Don't forget about the ATO and other dosing needs as well.

OP
OP
wingnrotor

wingnrotor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Apex system is definitely on my list of things to get. Unfortunately, I have blown through my budget and it will have to wait a while. As for an ATO I am still up in the air on this. On one hand I really want to use one but on the other hand they scare me. I was thinking of calculating my average evaporation and setting up a gravity drip system with that amount and let it replenish through out the day. Not sure how feasible this is but in my twisted brain this seems like it would work.

OP
OP
wingnrotor

wingnrotor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was finally able to pick up my tank and stand and get them placed where they will go. Below is my equipment list, and just a note on my choices. I chose my light, sump, skimmer, and gyre because the LFS has several display tanks and live stock tanks setup using this equipment and I have been very impressed with their results. The pumps and the fuge and the way I have them configured was recommended by the LFS owner based on me telling him I wanted a sump/fuge that I could enjoy spending as much time staring at it as I would the display tank, and of course based on my budget.

So far, I have installed my work lighting under the cabinet and my temporary power bars until I can get a controller. For the work lighting I used three LED puck lights ($25 at Lowes). They are connected to a standard light switch on the wall. I like them, they give off just enough light to let you see what your doing. However, I am concerned about how they will stand up to corrosion. Also, one feature I am not happy with is the front access under the stand. I can get the fuge out ok but to remove the sump in the future I will have to drain the tank down to pull the stand away from the wall and take it out the back side. I may be able to enlarge the opening in the front just enough to get it out. I will have to play with it a bit.

As always I appreciate any advice or recommendations from this great group of reefers!

Equipment list

Maxspect R420R light
Maxspect Gyre XF150
2x Rio 2500 return pumps
Tsunami 125-150 sump
Eshopps 2nd gen model 100 refugium
Marineland 120gal H with corner overflows
Marineland stand
Reef octopus xs 160 skimmer

Keep in mind that the equipment sump and skimmer and stuff in these pics are just there for storage at the moment.
IMG_0735.JPG
IMG_0736.JPG
IMG_0737.JPG
IMG_0738.JPG
IMG_0740.JPG

OP
OP
wingnrotor

wingnrotor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finally to the point where I can add sand and water. I had to wait till I could take vacation to finish this tank up plus I ran into an issue with my RO/DI unit. I also had to rethink how I was going to plumb everything because of how small the inside of this stand is. I really wish I would have built a custom stand for the tank but I just don't have the time or really the skill to do that. Tomorrow I will add 120lbs of the Carib Sea Hawaiian Black sand and about 50 gallons of water from my current tanks. Then on Friday I will move the rock and inhabitants from my old tanks into this one and of course the rest of the water. Im hoping to go Saturday and buy another big piece of Live rock and increase my CUC.

More updates this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_0806.JPG
    IMG_0806.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0807.JPG
    IMG_0807.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0808.JPG
    IMG_0808.JPG
    1,020.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0809.JPG
    IMG_0809.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0811.JPG
    IMG_0811.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0812.JPG
    IMG_0812.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0813.JPG
    IMG_0813.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0814.JPG
    IMG_0814.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0815.JPG
    IMG_0815.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0816.JPG
    IMG_0816.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 130
OP
OP
wingnrotor

wingnrotor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank upgrade is finally done. Only lost one Chromis in the move. Only real big surprise from this whole deal was the fact that this tank runs cold. Im in Florida and have been chasing hi temps in my other tanks. I had to run out and buy a heater for the sump. All in all I am super happy with how it has turned out.

Attachments

• IMG_0825.JPG
    IMG_0825.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0826.JPG
    IMG_0826.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0831.JPG
    IMG_0831.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0832.JPG
    IMG_0832.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0833 (1).JPG
    IMG_0833 (1).JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 126
OP
OP
wingnrotor

wingnrotor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Angel seems to love the new tank!

Attachments

• IMG_0860.JPG
    IMG_0860.JPG
    264.3 KB · Views: 79
OP
OP
wingnrotor

wingnrotor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the R420R over that tank! I plan to put a pair of the 120W ones over my 120G (4'x2').
I am really impressed with these lights. I sat and watched them for hours as they went through their program cycle and the transition from 0% white and 1% blue to 50% and 45% . The transition was very gradual and natural. I'm also still debating on whether or not I should hang the light.

OP
OP
wingnrotor

wingnrotor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like mine hung, I have one over a smaller tank now. Sitting on top of the tank is a bit in the way and you can't adjust the light spread.
Yeah I have noticed that I don't have as much light on the ends of the tank. I am worried that if I hang it my cat will think I did that just for his enjoyment.

OP
OP
wingnrotor

wingnrotor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while so I thought I would add some current pictures. All in all Im pretty happy with my tank. I have had some good growth and have added some nice fish and corals. However, I am struggling with a little nuisance algae and a low PH issue that I have narrowed down to air exchange in my bed room. Whenever I open the window and put the box fan in the window the PH rises. Thanks for looking!

IMG_1946.JPG

IMG_1947.JPG

IMG_1948.JPG

IMG_1949.JPG

IMG_1950.JPG

IMG_1952.JPG

IMG_1954.JPG

IMG_1955.JPG

IMG_1956.JPG

IMG_1957 (1).JPG

IMG_1957.JPG

IMG_1958.JPG

IMG_1960.JPG

OP
OP
wingnrotor

wingnrotor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some more that I took with my DSLR a few weeks ago. Still learning how to do this fish tank photography!

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0033.JPG

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 104 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 80 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back