Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mkay, got the stand assembled and some of the skin cut. Also got the rerun pump and skimmer ordered and they should be here mid week some time

20170910_182147.jpg
20170910_182830.jpg
20170917_181142.jpg

Productive weekend

Setting up in front of the window?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So finally got water up to the overflow

I was all like :) but then the elbow on the overflow piping started to leak

20180423_212513.jpg

So now I'm all like :mad:;Blackeye;Drowning and have to figure out a way to fix the leak

20180423_205307.jpg

Hate it when everything is going perfectly, and then...

OP
OP
jason.kennedy.98478

jason.kennedy.98478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always understood that set up in front of a window wasn't ideal. Do you plan on blacking out the window in some way?

My current nano is in front of a window with sun light all day in addition to the light on the tank, no issues with it

And no, no check valve. Sump has more than enough room for the extra water, also one less thing that can fail

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to put some vents in your canopy.

The sunlight thing on the tank is no big deal in my opinion. Lots of folks think it's a terrible idea, yet we spend thousands of dollars to put artificial light into our tanks to mimic the sun. As long as you cover up that clear return line with something to limit algae growth, you'll be fine.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sunlight thing on the tank is no big deal in my opinion. Lots of folks think it's a terrible idea, yet we spend thousands of dollars to put artificial light into our tanks to mimic the sun.

Fair point.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there's an argument about the spectrum of the sunlight verses tank lights that can be fine tuned, but if your tank consumes algae food sources the way it should, i think it's fine. My tank is between two big windows and haven't noticed a thing. Maybe I have to scrape the glass on one side more than the other but big deal

OP
OP
jason.kennedy.98478

jason.kennedy.98478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to put some vents in your canopy.

The sunlight thing on the tank is no big deal in my opinion. Lots of folks think it's a terrible idea, yet we spend thousands of dollars to put artificial light into our tanks to mimic the sun. As long as you cover up that clear return line with something to limit algae growth, you'll be fine.

The back is open half way down due to my sea swirl and I'm gonna put 2 inch vents above my lights when I install them. Haven't decided if i will put actively vented chimneys for those vents yet.

The return tubing that is currently clear will be blacked out

Last edited:
OP
OP
jason.kennedy.98478

jason.kennedy.98478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if you get the smart ato, save your self some money and get the nano version. Wish I had known this before but the only difference between the two models is the size of the sensor. Same pump, same power supply. So unless the firmware let's the bigger one pump longer before it gives an error, yeah save yourself like $60 and get the nano version

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back