Upgrading my tank

nottookul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I'm upgrading from my old school and very pitiful 55 gal to a nice 90 gal and my question is should I use the same sand I have now or should I get new sand? If I do need to get new sand what kind of sand should I get?

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy new sand. Your old sand has a bunch of crap mixed I to it and when you stir it up it will release everything which means your iterates are going to go they the roof. I would just keep a couple of cups full of your old sand to seed you new.

OP
OP
N

nottookul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of sand should I get? I just baught the live sand from the lfs. Is there a cheaper or at least better sand?

jtgordon20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the caribsea special reef grade sand. The more coarse sand. Helps with it not stirring up from flow.
The live sand bag that has water in it can be used faster because the dry sand bag needs to be washed vigorously several several times.

For the pump. Depends on how much your overflow can handle.

OP
OP
N

nottookul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks on the advice with the sand. That sounds exactly like what I am looking for. As for what the overflow can handle, I'm not really sure. It's a stock corner drilled 90 gal. I'm not sure the size of the bulk heads either. I won't pick it up until next week

jtgordon20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go and guess its 1" bulkhead drain and 3/4" for return. You could use both as a drain and set it up like the herbie method (1" about half height of overflow, as a full siphon with a gate valve for tuning and the 3/4" being the back up, making it as tall as the overflow but below the tanks rim) or you could do a durso with the 1" or one of the other ones.

OP
OP
N

nottookul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS I would like to say this forum is the best. I've gotten the best andwers from here.

Anyways, the next big question is what kind of fish would y'all suggest for a 90 gal reef? I'm basically starting over with fish and so all that is coming with me from my old tank is my sailfin tang and my pink spotted watchmen goby. What are some cool, reef safe, fish that would look awesome in my tank?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would fill that baby with some nice flasher wrasse. :)

Back