Urchin/acclimation question

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been looking into getting an urchin. I'm thinking tuxedo for the size as I have a Fluval evo. (don't mind returning it when/if gets too big) I'm just curious if a small tuxedo urchin can knock over rock work structures that can be "wiggled" by human hand but even when wiggled seem to be centered and wanting to sit centered. Will a smaller tuxedo knock over a full rock structure or only smaller substrate "zoa/xenia island" rocks.

Follow up is I've acclimated everything from my clown to shrimp to snails but everything is saying double your urchin acclimation. My problem is I use ehiem heaters. Is there a tip or trick reefers use to keep the acclimation container warm? A flat heater or something for smaller creatures acclimation etc?

I've never had trouble with deaths even though sometimes the acclimation temp gets a Lil low especially when drip acclimating for a long period.

Any insight would be helpful!

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do is to drip acclimate for an hour first. Then float the bag in the tank for 15 minutes to equalize temp. Them into the tank it goes.

They can move quite a bit but I wouldn't worry about a large rock. Just small frags.

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do is to drip acclimate for an hour first. Then float the bag in the tank for 15 minutes to equalize temp. Them into the tank it goes.

They can move quite a bit but I wouldn't worry about a large rock. Just small frags.
OK that makes sense. So do most people acclimate inside the bag? I would usually dump the lfs water and creature into a Lil Tupperware and do stuff from there.

If my lfs is like 30 to 45 mins away should I temp acclimate for 30 then drip then temp again and in?

Also to make sure I'm on the same page it's dump some of the lfs water out,
Drip in once it doubles remove half, do it again then good to go?

I know urchins are sensitive and don't wanna kill it from something as basic as acclimation

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually acclimate in the bag. Yes remove about half, fill remove half fill again. I have one lfs that's about 30 away, and I still just acclimate first then float the bag for 15 to equalize the temp. You're adding the water slowly enough that the temp will only change at a slow rate.
Most people will say float the bag first then drip. But i.m.o. if you have a long acclimation the temp will go down.

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually acclimate in the bag. Yes remove about half, fill remove half fill again. I have one lfs that's about 30 away, and I still just acclimate first then float the bag for 15 to equalize the temp. You're adding the water slowly enough that the temp will only change at a slow rate.
Most people will say float the bag first then drip. But i.m.o. if you have a long acclimation the temp will go down.
I agree with that last part which is what lead me to asking that question. I will def try this! It will save me from going out and finding a small flat heater and then calibrating and I'm all good with that haha.

Also may be an irrational fear, but should I be worried about the spines of the urchin peircing the bag on the way home? Again looking at tuxedos or pincushions for the small size. I usually bring a styrofoam mini cooler for transporting and keeping temp. So just wanna make sure I don't open the cooler at home to a dry urchin. Ty for your time and responses BigLew!!!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the urchin and water into a plastic cup and float on top of aquarium. Replace 1/5 of cup water with tank water every 20 minutes for 2 hours

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the urchin and water into a plastic cup and float on top of aquarium. Replace 1/5 of cup water with tank water every 20 minutes for 2 hours
Oh wow so simple I love this idea. Never thought of a cup. I figured you'd wanna drip but I do get my water from my lfs so our parameters are about the same so I'd be open to this

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back