Urea and ammonium dosing

I found in a paper somewhere that in marine fish, nitrogen excretion occurs for 10-20% in the form of urea and 80-90% ammonium.

So, I figured I match that in my DIY nitrogen additive.
I use Randy's ammonium bicarbonate recipe and add some urea to make the nitrogen content 90% ammonium and 10% urea. Therefore, I add 0.84 grams of urea to each 20 grams of ammonium bicarbonate.

I have never used anything else than this mixture as an N-source. So I can not compare it to anything else. Nor can I say what the effect of the added urea is. Realistically I don't think it makes a difference. It just seemed logical to mimic the nitrogen excretion from fish.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 34 32.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new