Urgent - Anemone help

hoist14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning!

My anemone seems to not be doing so well this morning. I've had the tank for about 7 months and the parameters are
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
0 nitrate
35.1 salinity
running 2 hydra 52 HD
at about a medium/low flow.

The thing that threw me off was the black discharge from its mouth?

anemone.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it is a LTA, M. doreensis. How long have you had him in the tank? Consider him as a sick anemone and consider treat him with antibiotic per my thread in the sticky thread above.

OP
OP
H

hoist14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it is a LTA, M. doreensis. How long have you had him in the tank? Consider him as a sick anemone and consider treat him with antibiotic per my thread in the sticky thread above.
I've had him in the tank for...I'd say about 2 months, maybe closer to 1.5. It's a black widow.

OP
OP
H

hoist14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need nitrates in your tank, corals starve without it. At least 5 nitrate minimum... Also, what is your current phos readings?
I don't have corals, so I don't take phos readings either. I've now lost 3 fish that I can see. (Fairy wrasse, Coral Beauty, purple firefish) wondering if i just need to take him out

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A BTA. I would watch and see. He is pooping. Sometimes they also look bad before they divide.
I never intentional provide my anemone with phos or nitrate. I would prefer to get these close to 0 and feed them instead.

OP
OP
H

hoist14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A BTA. I would watch and see. He is pooping. Sometimes they also look bad before they divide.
I never intentional provide my anemone with phos or nitrate. I would prefer to get these close to 0 and feed them instead.
The concern I have is I've now watched 3 fish die, (they were fine when i fed them this morning.) If the anemone is dying and released poison, I know I need to fix it now. I have the anemone isolated right now but don't know what to look for. Anemones were always intimidating for me. Wife won that conversation though

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An anemone wont release its "poison" until it decays, This nem is not decaying. Not yet at least. A 7 month old tank is rather young for a nem, especially a pricey one. It does look like it is pooping, but if you are having fish losses the nem probably stands no chance. Nems are no where near as hardy as fish are.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA are not fish eater, and they don't release "poison" to the water. Strong stinger like Magnifica or carpets will kill fish if it gets chew up by PH and release the stingers into the water and sting the gills of the fish (other than clownfish)

If you fish died in the last few days, then I worry that there is problem with the condition of your tank that kill the fish and will kill the anemone. It is the tank and water that kill the living animals in it. Maybe a tank crash going on.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 77 86.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back