URGENT: Lost 6 fish in 40 hours. I'm desperate.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the pictures I can tell that is Brook then. They look exactly like that.
Ok, that leaves two options in my mind. It is either Brook or a chemical irritant.
If it is Brook, you will need to set up a QT system and treat per the instructions in the link I posted above. I've never had to deal with Brook (thank goodness) but it's a tough one. If you can do a fresh water dip you can buy yourself time but I understand that catching them in a reef before they are very sick is challenging.

Brooks visible symptoms are due in part to excess mucus production that could also be caused by a chemical irritant. The itchy arms still make me think this is a possibility. If this were my system I would do a 50% water change and change out the carbon for some fresh stuff. I would even add some extra in a filter sock.

My reasoning is that even though Brook may be more likely, it is also going to be the bigger challenge to deal with and could take days to set up a solution. Since, in my mind, a chemical irritant is a possible cause and I could take immediate action to help correct it I would do that first.

Again, I'm so sorry you are going through this. It's a horrible situation to be in.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm making 50 Gallons of water to do a water change.

I hope that helps in some ways. The water is crystal clear but the fact that my arm is itching every time I soak in the tank is driving me crazy.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to large water change and fresh carbon running poly filters will help absorb any possible contaminants.. Setting up a quarantine tank ASAP so you can treat fish is probably going to be your best course of action to save the rest.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, that leaves two options in my mind. It is either Brook or a chemical irritant.
If it is Brook, you will need to set up a QT system and treat per the instructions in the link I posted above. I've never had to deal with Brook (thank goodness) but it's a tough one. If you can do a fresh water dip you can buy yourself time but I understand that catching them in a reef before they are very sick is challenging.

Brooks visible symptoms are due in part to excess mucus production that could also be caused by a chemical irritant. The itchy arms still make me think this is a possibility. If this were my system I would do a 50% water change and change out the carbon for some fresh stuff. I would even add some extra in a filter sock.

My reasoning is that even though Brook may be more likely, it is also going to be the bigger challenge to deal with and could take days to set up a solution. Since, in my mind, a chemical irritant is a possible cause and I could take immediate action to help correct it I would do that first.

Again, I'm so sorry you are going through this. It's a horrible situation to be in.

Thanks a lot @Brew12

When you say chemical irritant what that could be? I don't use anything in the tank, not even close to it.

I'm changing the carbon and doing a 50 Gallon water change.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say chemical irritant what that could be? I don't use anything in the tank, not even close to it.
I wish I could tell you. I've seen a tank almost completely taken out when a person petted a dog that had just been treated with flea and tick meds and immediately put their hands in the tank to change filter socks.

I'm trying to refresh myself on Brook (like I said, I've never had to deal with it). Came across this from Humblefish.
"I have a story to share: Years ago a friend of mine had a brook outbreak (2 clowns) in her nano reef. So, I advised her to give both clowns a formalin bath and go fallow for 6 weeks. Well, she gave them the formalin bath but put them right back into the infected DT afterwards. To my amazement, they never got reinfected with brook. :confused: Flash forward 2 years later and she moves the tank a couple of hours away. The clowns break out with brook again, but another formalin bath fixes the problem once again (without ever going fallow.) o_O"

Formalin can be hard to get on short notice but you may be able to knock this back without setting up a QT if it is Brook.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though possible, Im now thinking if it was a chemical contaminant your corals and invertebrates would also be exhibiting stress but from your pictures they look fine.
I don't disagree and this is the reason I think Brook is more likely. Compared to getting Formalin and catching every fish to do a dip, the corrective actions are just much easier. If corals and/or inverts were showing signs of distress we could rule out Brook.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't disagree and this is the reason I think Brook is more likely. Compared to getting Formalin and catching every fish to do a dip, the corrective actions are just much easier. If corals and/or inverts were showing signs of distress we could rule out Brook.

Corals are doing totally fine. Inverts to.

I wish I could tell you. I've seen a tank almost completely taken out when a person petted a dog that had just been treated with flea and tick meds and immediately put their hands in the tank to change filter socks.

I'm trying to refresh myself on Brook (like I said, I've never had to deal with it). Came across this from Humblefish.
"I have a story to share: Years ago a friend of mine had a brook outbreak (2 clowns) in her nano reef. So, I advised her to give both clowns a formalin bath and go fallow for 6 weeks. Well, she gave them the formalin bath but put them right back into the infected DT afterwards. To my amazement, they never got reinfected with brook. :confused: Flash forward 2 years later and she moves the tank a couple of hours away. The clowns break out with brook again, but another formalin bath fixes the problem once again (without ever going fallow.) o_O"

Formalin can be hard to get on short notice but you may be able to knock this back without setting up a QT if it is Brook.

My oldest clown had brook 1 Year ago when I had a nano. Never treated him with Formalin, just copper (which does not helps with brook) and he never showed signs of brook again. Migrated him to this new tank and the funny part tho is that he's the only one not showing any signs of illness. At least for now.

Not the corals are doing perfectly fine.

Where can I buy Formalin? I'm located in Orlando.

Maybe I'm gonna pay a visit to WWC.

Victor Bowman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a electrical Engineer, so my first thought (naturally) is to get your hands on a meter and stick the red probe in the tank water and the black probe in the ground of the nearest outlet. See if you measure any stray voltage. This would cause the itchy skin as well as explain the fish losses. If you measure anything higher than 2 Millivolts (noise) then start unplugging electrical items one at a time that have cords in the water until the voltage drops to normal. I hope this is your problem. I have had heaters do this in the past.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My oldest clown had brook 1 Year ago when I had a nano. Never treated him with Formalin, just copper (which does not helps with brook) and he never showed signs of brook again. Migrated him to this new tank and the funny part tho is that he's the only one not showing any signs of illness. At least for now.
That makes sense. He is likely an immune carrier that infected the other fish. I'd say that pretty much confirms Brook. Just doesn't explain the itchy arms. :(

Where can I buy Formalin? I'm located in Orlando.
Fritz Quick Cure has it https://www.amazon.com/Fritz-Mardel...65&sr=8-1&keywords=quick+cure#customerReviews

A product with Acriflavine would work, too. Acriflavine-MS would be great if you can find it. Otherwise Ruby Reef Rally will work. These may be easier to find locally than Quick Cure.

Maybe I'm gonna pay a visit to WWC.
Not sure what WWC would have in stock, but definitely worth calling and see. Just make sure if you go the Formalin route that you get 37%. Some products have under 5% and may not be effective.

Victor Bowman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please read my post and let us know what voltage you measure with the meter as I am very curious. Saltwater is a good conductor. Ever stick your tongue on a 9V battery?

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a electrical Engineer, so my first thought (naturally) is to get your hands on a meter and stick the red probe in the tank water and the black probe in the ground of the nearest outlet. See if you measure any stray voltage. This would cause the itchy skin as well as explain the fish losses. If you measure anything higher than 2 Millivolts (noise) then start unplugging electrical items one at a time that have cords in the water until the voltage drops to normal. I hope this is your problem. I have had heaters do this in the past.

Victor I'm on my way to home depot but I might need more information on how to use this device the correct way since I've never done it.

That makes sense. He is likely an immune carrier that infected the other fish. I'd say that pretty much confirms Brook. Just doesn't explain the itchy arms. :(

Fritz Quick Cure has it https://www.amazon.com/Fritz-Mardel...65&sr=8-1&keywords=quick+cure#customerReviews

A product with Acriflavine would work, too. Acriflavine-MS would be great if you can find it. Otherwise Ruby Reef Rally will work. These may be easier to find locally than Quick Cure.

Not sure what WWC would have in stock, but definitely worth calling and see. Just make sure if you go the Formalin route that you get 37%. Some products have under 5% and may not be effective.

I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for everything Guys from the bottom of my heart.

Please read my post and let us know what voltage you measure with the meter as I am very curious. Saltwater is a good conductor. Ever stick your tongue on a 9V battery?

I know the tongue method to check the remaining "juice" in a 9v battery. I'll let you know for sure.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you measure anything higher than 2 Millivolts (noise) then start unplugging electrical items one at a time that have cords in the water until the voltage drops to normal. I hope this is your problem. I have had heaters do this in the past.
Just as an FYI, induced voltages are very common in a salt water tank for people who don't run a ground probe and/or a grounded titanium heater. It isn't by itself indicative of a problem. For instance, if I unplug my heaters (grounded titanium) my tank will read around 32VAC to ground.
The only reason I don't suspect this to be a problem is that I've never heard of a voltage issue causing excess mucus generation on a fish as he is seeing. Contaminants from failed electrical components seem to take out corals and inverts before taking out fish.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some chemicals that at certain concentrations will effect fish but not inverts.

Ie australian funnel web spider venom will kill a chimp at .1ml but not a dog of equal weight bc the toxin is more acute in primates.

Bad analogy but same holds true with chemicals.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an FYI, induced voltages are very common in a salt water tank for people who don't run a ground probe and/or a grounded titanium heater. It isn't by itself indicative of a problem. For instance, if I unplug my heaters (grounded titanium) my tank will read around 32VAC to ground.
The only reason I don't suspect this to be a problem is that I've never heard of a voltage issue causing excess mucus generation on a fish as he is seeing. Contaminants from failed electrical components seem to take out corals and inverts before taking out fish.

Just to make sure a have two of these...

0C616960-F7B9-4E07-A22D-BCE452AE56B5.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to make sure a have two of these...

0C616960-F7B9-4E07-A22D-BCE452AE56B5.jpeg
I believe these are ungrounded. If it has a 2 prong plug it will be ungrounded. If the plug has 3 prongs it "likely" is grounded to the titanium housing.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe these are ungrounded. If it has a 2 prong plug it will be ungrounded. If the plug has 3 prongs it "likely" is grounded to the titanium housing.

Yes you are correct it has 3 plugs.

One thing @Brew12 I just went downstairs to see how the tank was doing and bro my fox face is breathing soooo fast =(

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you are correct it has 3 plugs.

One thing @Brew12 I just went downstairs to see how the tank was doing and bro my fox face is breathing soooo fast =(
If you can catch him a fresh water dip may provide some temporary relief.

Victor Bowman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, but still I would check. It only takes a minute to do, and who knows how you would react if you (or a fish) were swimming around in water with a 32 volt charge. Your arms might even tingle from the current dissipating as the water evaporates.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back