Urgh seriously.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Yeah it’s just wee bit nippy here in Boise. The cold does wake me up but really hate the fact the hospital still turns the air conditioning on right now. So I freeze outside and inside lovely.

@saltyfilmfolks you know lol it’s amazing what one can learn. With my degree (undergraduate) I probably should have known this but just goes to show ya. I had no idea that corals or even poison dart frogs would lose their toxins. I’m curious if the blue ringed octopus does as well. Soooo want one badly but he needs his own tank.

Well that just means lol I get to do surgery with out supervison lol
Funny i would have pegged you for a cuttlefish girl.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Lol @saltyfilmfolks well your pretty darn close lol. Love things with big brains and are smart. But some of them sure are not very cute. At least the blue ringed octopus as some fashion statements he can strut.

But they have always facinated me specially how they can problem solve and communicate i think 7 different ways (pretty sure). But octopuses I strongly believe have even better problem solving skills than humans and quite honestly they are probably much smarter. They can cordinate 8 things at once could you imagine a human trying to cordinate 8 things at once.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

lol @Fin I only wish those were of me but nope. In that post I said they were some of my fav pics of Natalie Merchant. Love her thought process and simplicity. She is one of the few that I listen to daily.

Been a fan of her's (10,000 Maniacs) for about 35 years. (Kind of just dated myself!) I knew that was her in the pics, old pics too, and was going to ask why you were posting pics of her. You already answered the question though. You have a good taste in hobbies and music!
Also, happy to hear you're dropping the hammer at work. It will give you time to set up the "big" tank! :)

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Sorry friends became super busy and wow lol anyway learned some things from my coral. Realized I was not dosing enough even though I dosed every day. I have now moved to about 1 table spoon to 1.5 just to keep my alk at 8.

However the corals had an amazing response to this and so far have really opened up more. I also have been feeding marine snow about three times a week. Any suggestions on changes for that?

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test, then adjust your dosing to the trends you see from the results. What products are you dosing? Not sure many people dose Marine Snow. I did use KZ Coral Snow in conjunction with KZ CyanoClean for a time (as recommended on the CyanoClean bottle), but not something I dose regularly.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

@Fin as you have suggested I have been testing the alk daily and adjusting to that. The marine snow is a coral food that feeds the sps corals and well any really. I just have seen some positives from feeding them like twice a week.

The tank is definitely consuming alk and daily which is a good thing. Maybe the tank is finally at another growth spurt?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test, then adjust your dosing to the trends you see from the results. What products are you dosing? Not sure many people dose Marine Snow. I did use KZ Coral Snow in conjunction with KZ CyanoClean for a time (as recommended on the CyanoClean bottle), but not something I dose regularly.
Marine snow is a kinda phyto plankton and has a bit of an organic carbon component. Vitamin c. So it smells like lemon sorta.
The coral snow is a chalk. A calcium derivative like baking soda , So it binds organics to Ben mechanicals removed.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

@saltyfilmfolks so if I cut it should I change my phosphate reactor to carbon Instead prior? I also dose redsea no3, won’t running carbon change that? And can I just use a scalpel and cut what I don’t want? Maybe frag for my lfs, but it won’t affect my clam next to it, well anything else I hope as well? Just fragged a lot of corals and now have about 200 in store credit yippie.

Hate when I don’t get notifications on my own thread lol makes it hard to catch up. I have now had almost two days off wow there is life out there lol.

If you are still having issue with the notifications from your thread. Turn off the watch thread and turn it back on. I happens from time to time to all of us:)

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

@jsker I ummm sadly have no idea how to even do that my dear friend. I’m literally kinda computer or smart phone dumb. (It’s not my strong point hence why I stay away from 99% social media :).

So my next question is this and Disclaimer lol (I’m definitely not against anyone who does and or loves this or want to change their minds etc so lol) has anyone else ever had to work 24 hours shifts? Mostly though, my shifts have me running around like chicken in a hen house with 30 foxes, and no exits. But lately work has been sooooo slow, I can watch mold grow on the floor. Is it just me but, does listening to country music just put one to sleep or are there not enough songs lol? They play the same songs every hour, it’s all about beer some kind of truck and a bar lol. Some of the older country like maybe John Denver (he was really good, more folk also) or Garth brooks maybe even gritty something band. But this new stuff is sooo repetitive and it drives me nuts listening to it for 24 hours lol. (Yes I like Taylor Swift).

It’s nothjng against the genre but wow whatevs happened to classic rock or like normal music? Even other music now a days makes me wonder. It’s sad when (and I don’t like them) back street boys have more hits than today’s musicians. But lol please know maybe a normal shift would
Be okay because I only have to hear the same song 8 times, but 24 times in one day I’m starting to make words up to them lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Okay soooo some awesome updates so grab some milk, cookies and a blankie :). First well, they are all good to me at least so let’s start there. @Erica-Renee did you accidentally build your self into a wall? Haven’t seen you around so missing the same with @Brew12 (have been following your thread catching up still) also @Fin yes working on yours just still lost on what you need to make it wet (I honest mean that sooo nice maybe I can help make it happen).

So the 425 ships according to my voice mail lol on Jan 22nd lol and they are sure proud of the shipping price :). Estimated to be here on my birthday of feb 5th. So lol that will be sooooooo neat. Still have sadly back burned it for a few reasons. Mainly I simply don’t have time, and haven’t finsihed my research on what I’m doing yet. I wanna do something similar to @120reefkeeper (how did that turn out by the way). But wanna use stax rocks and (already asked permission from him) to make something like it.

But ran into some overly complex problems , one that is a chunk of rock which is fine but good lord I’m gonna empty a rock quarry (poor fred flintstone). 2.) I have to silicon these rocks in which is fine, but i can’t silicon live wet rock. 3.) which leads me to the issue of rock leaching in my mainly sps tank. Which that is not good at all. I also have 8 of the current 2100 gph I want to build into the rock work and conceal them. I have concerns they won’t suck in enough water (with out making them obvious they are wave makers.

The other problem is cleaning and well if they break replacing them. Would need to make sure cable Is accessible and pump can be removed. The other issue is I kinda wanna test the flow before set in stone lol literally. Yes In theory my math works but what about real life?. The flow equations im
Using from physics is giving me different numbers.

My other issue is as I do the back wall which (has a ghost overflow so yay), and half of the sides, I wanna build rock work out to make shelter coves (and drop offs, and issuing 4 dimension spatial concept but with using live rock. But, on my first tank I used half dead rock and half live. I had serious issues with annoying hair alage. I have used all live rock and live sand on the 240
And no algae issues (tiny tiny amounts). But the tangs eat the alage and (is it because of the live rock, or that I run a uv sterilizer). Speaking of which I am about to (wait I’ll save that). But the new one will have one and I need to figure out plumbing and sump and placement. I wanna move my entertainment center and put the 425 like corner wise (so looks like one).

So @120reefkeeper did you have any issues with doing straight dry rock. Yes many apologies that I haven’t followed your thread, barely have time to update mine.

So exciting times for sure coming lol. Now updates on my 240, and should ask definitely to anyone who can help. So @saltyfilmfolks @NY_Caveman #reefsquad, I’m going to re add my third orbit pro. Last time it was not such a great idea and I cried as I fried some precious corals. However, (my par meter I loaned out (Yes that was a stupid move stupid, stupid move). Anyway running the cool whites at 51% atm tried 30% which the sps loved, the Maximus clam hated. At 51% 24 inches down he is just happy as heck. I haven’t bleached any sps, but I see changes not for the better. So when I add the third one again, I wanna make it blues only. Would this help with corals growth, overall health?

No I don’t wanna mass produce, or have the omg the best color in the world. But last time I decreased each light by 33% for all three and wow did it royally upset the tank. (Suggestions why, parameters were normal alk 8 cal 440-460, nitrates 2-5 and phosphates I think .025 or the first color on the sheet. Anyway dosing redsea no3 about 7ml (not much) but keeps things down.

So next change is I’m adding a second uv light. Suggestions on placing in water column or sump? Also would this be too much, (each is rated for 150 gallons (has own flow rate and powerhead. Not sure where to place for best effect for the tank.

Next item is I’m using filter socks and 2 sets every three days plugged and washed. I don’t bleach them, but washed at 180 degrees. Pretty sure it’s killing the nasties, but my sump is well nice terms lame. I have a micro filter pad under the return pumps, then another one between the baffles. (Only one) then phosphate pad that’s against the baffle with the microfilter pads. Soo I’m gonna Have to science the heck out of this. I can’t take the sump out, so making do, so can I drain the sump and had another plexiglass and silicon it In before the skimmer?

Issue is the skimmer is so big, I have to take it complete apart to even get it out and that’s not always possible. Other thought is a nice canister filter linked into the sump (100 gallons plus) with carbon and micro pads only. Should I place it in the sump or display behind.

I was able to slow the returns down to 25% but since kicked up to 75% to increase flow and each is at 3200 gph. As of the moment sadly my math says I have severe lacking flow in my tank. If I have four 2100 gph wave makers two 3200 return pumps (dedicated one per overflow) at 75% then a gyre at 100%. All wave makers are at 100% on pulse mode. When I do stream it Rips the sps flesh off so that’s a no.

Possibly add two smaller ones in the far back wall facing the front glass. So 4x2100 is 8400 plus 3000 is 11400 plus say 3200x2 is 6400 at 75% which is 4816 and total of 16,236 then by water in tank sump so roughly 220 gallons 240 tank 40 breaded is 280 minus displacement so roughly 220. (Sorry my brain is on mars). But that comes to 74 times the flow correct.

I may add another 3000 gyre but now I’m running out of electrical sockets and it’s kinda of a nightmare. So may have an electrician give advice.

Other big news lol well I hate my neighbors and the stupid design how they placed all homes less than 8 feet across. So looking actively looking for a new house. So far nothing really fits my tank sizes, w/o major mods. I would prefer a
Separate room or even do heated garage for the sump tank.

Because the 240 does so well on its own, it was deemed earlier keeping them separate (do we all agree lolz). Will have my lfs just move the tank 240 and set it back up the same day. Issues people see with this, please tell me now.
I would love to have the 425 placed on the main wall and the 240 at a 90 degree angel. Where I have enough room to walk behind them maintence etc.

The separate water room I’m liking a lot because less smell and then easy access. Which means two sumps etc so pros and cons on that. Major concern is being able to silicon the staxx rocks if they are live. I won’t have enough time before they die so @120reefkeeper how did that work for you?

On my 425 I was going to run three of the 3200 gph current usa returns, 8 wave makers from them at 2100 and two icecap 3k gyres. Would this even by enough flow, getting a massive deal through current usa :). Can’t remember the flow equation to save my skin.

Sorry for the long post and also tri color sps can’t remember if they want super high light and lots of flow or medium and average flow. Currently getting about 450-500 and average flow. (Too much maybe).

Thanks my dear friends didn’t mean to write a book.

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t seen you around so missing the same with @Brew12 (have been following your thread catching up still)
Hey Sarah. As you know from my build thread, I've been busy. Spent a week at Disney, a few days in the Florida Keys, and then going to get our son from Parris Island boot camp all in the last 30 days. Throw the holidays in between the trips and I'm doing nothing but playing catch up!

2.) I have to silicon these rocks in which is fine, but i can’t silicon live wet rock. 3.) which leads me to the issue of rock leaching in my mainly sps tank.
I don't see any reason not to use dry rock. If you want to soak it in a tub for a few weeks to help pull any phosphates out you can, then let it dry. If you really want to add some live rock for the benefits it provides, put a bunch in the sump so it can seed the tank from there. No reason to not set up the display how you want it.

The other issue is I kinda wanna test the flow before set in stone lol literally. Yes In theory my math works but what about real life?. The flow equations im
Make sure you keep your flow options flexible. What you need on a new tank will be different from what you need once the corals start filling in. Make sure you leave yourself options to be able to move and adjust pumps.

So when I add the third one again, I wanna make it blues only. Would this help with corals growth, overall health?

No I don’t wanna mass produce, or have the omg the best color in the world. But last time I decreased each light by 33% for all three and wow did it royally upset the tank. (Suggestions why, parameters were normal alk 8 cal 440-460, nitrates 2-5 and phosphates I think .025 or the first color on the sheet. Anyway dosing redsea no3 about 7ml (not much) but keeps things down.
Blues only will likely give you the same issues. I would wait until you get that PAR meter back (if you haven't already) and use it to help you make adjustments. Water and light intensity interact in interesting ways that change with wavelength. The only way to come close is to use a PAR meter at what you consider the critical areas.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my next question is this and Disclaimer lol (I’m definitely not against anyone who does and or loves this or want to change their minds etc so lol) has anyone else ever had to work 24 hours shifts? Mostly though, my shifts have me running around like chicken in a hen house with 30 foxes, and no exits. But lately work has been sooooo slow, I can watch mold grow on the floor. Is it just me but, does listening to country music just put one to sleep or are there not enough songs lol? They play the same songs every hour, it’s all about beer some kind of truck and a bar lol. Some of the older country like maybe John Denver (he was really good, more folk also) or Garth brooks maybe even gritty something band. But this new stuff is sooo repetitive and it drives me nuts listening to it for 24 hours lol. (Yes I like Taylor Swift).

It’s nothjng against the genre but wow whatevs happened to classic rock or like normal music? Even other music now a days makes me wonder. It’s sad when (and I don’t like them) back street boys have more hits than today’s musicians. But lol please know maybe a normal shift would
Be okay because I only have to hear the same song 8 times, but 24 times in one day I’m starting to make words up to them lol.

Popular country music and popular pop music are both the same thing. Corporate driven monotony that can barely be called music. They are a vehicle for corporate radio ad sales.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

@jsker I ummm sadly have no idea how to even do that my dear friend. I’m literally kinda computer or smart phone dumb. (It’s not my strong point hence why I stay away from 99% social media :).

to watch thread look for this on the top right of the screen and click
Watch thread.png

To acknowledge click either. I would not suggest by email, or you phone will be going off all the time

Watch tread box yes.png

To unwatch this will be in the same place as watch thread
Unwatch thread.png

Click unwatch thread
Unwatch thread box.png

has anyone else ever had to work 24 hours shifts?
Yes, and I still do sometimes.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It sounds like you are doing a great job doing the right thing. Not sure what being a medical professional has to do with that. Seems to me that most of your problems are related to other people not doing the right thing. Wouldn't the world be a much better place if we all did a better job doing the right thing?

The right thing is to not post her bail. Just like kicking your brother out was the right thing. There is a difference between right and easy. Tough love is still love. If you are always fixing their problems they will have little motivation to improve. As a parent, I can say that watching a child fail is one of the toughest things to do. It is also important. We learn more from failing than we do from succeeding.

I suspect that your brother will eventually come back. As a loving sister, I think you should prepare for his return and what is hopefully limited interactions with his kids. I would prepare for this eventuality by making Halloween costumes for him and his kids. You can dress the kids up like fish and make an aquarium sump costume for him. ;)

This is so true.
Sometime enabling people does not work and they need to hit bottom.

It can be hard when it is family. Being a caring responsible person can be hard.

AquaDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Okay soooo some awesome updates so grab some milk, cookies and a blankie :). First well, they are all good to me at least so let’s start there. @Erica-Renee did you accidentally build your self into a wall? Haven’t seen you around so missing the same with @Brew12 (have been following your thread catching up still) also @Fin yes working on yours just still lost on what you need to make it wet (I honest mean that sooo nice maybe I can help make it happen).

So the 425 ships according to my voice mail lol on Jan 22nd lol and they are sure proud of the shipping price :). Estimated to be here on my birthday of feb 5th. So lol that will be sooooooo neat. Still have sadly back burned it for a few reasons. Mainly I simply don’t have time, and haven’t finsihed my research on what I’m doing yet. I wanna do something similar to @120reefkeeper (how did that turn out by the way). But wanna use stax rocks and (already asked permission from him) to make something like it.

But ran into some overly complex problems , one that is a chunk of rock which is fine but good lord I’m gonna empty a rock quarry (poor fred flintstone). 2.) I have to silicon these rocks in which is fine, but i can’t silicon live wet rock. 3.) which leads me to the issue of rock leaching in my mainly sps tank. Which that is not good at all. I also have 8 of the current 2100 gph I want to build into the rock work and conceal them. I have concerns they won’t suck in enough water (with out making them obvious they are wave makers.

The other problem is cleaning and well if they break replacing them. Would need to make sure cable Is accessible and pump can be removed. The other issue is I kinda wanna test the flow before set in stone lol literally. Yes In theory my math works but what about real life?. The flow equations im

My other issue is as I do the back wall which (has a ghost overflow so yay), and half of the sides, I wanna build rock work out to make shelter coves (and drop offs, and issuing 4 dimension spatial concept but with using live rock. But, on my first tank I used half dead rock and half live. I had serious issues with annoying hair alage. I have used all live rock and live sand on the 240
And no algae issues (tiny tiny amounts). But the tangs eat the alage and (is it because of the live rock, or that I run a uv sterilizer). Speaking of which I am about to (wait I’ll save that). But the new one will have one and I need to figure out plumbing and sump and placement. I wanna move my entertainment center and put the 425 like corner wise (so looks like one).

So @120reefkeeper did you have any issues with doing straight dry rock. Yes many apologies that I haven’t followed your thread, barely have time to update mine.

So exciting times for sure coming lol. Now updates on my 240, and should ask definitely to anyone who can help. So @saltyfilmfolks @NY_Caveman #reefsquad, I’m going to re add my third orbit pro. Last time it was not such a great idea and I cried as I fried some precious corals. However, (my par meter I loaned out (Yes that was a stupid move stupid, stupid move). Anyway running the cool whites at 51% atm tried 30% which the sps loved, the Maximus clam hated. At 51% 24 inches down he is just happy as heck. I haven’t bleached any sps, but I see changes not for the better. So when I add the third one again, I wanna make it blues only. Would this help with corals growth, overall health?

So next change is I’m adding a second uv light. Suggestions on placing in water column or sump? Also would this be too much, (each is rated for 150 gallons (has own flow rate and powerhead. Not sure where to place for best effect for the tank.

Next item is I’m using filter socks and 2 sets every three days plugged and washed. I don’t bleach them, but washed at 180 degrees. Pretty sure it’s killing the nasties, but my sump is well nice terms lame. I have a micro filter pad under the return pumps, then another one between the baffles. (Only one) then phosphate pad that’s against the baffle with the microfilter pads. Soo I’m gonna Have to science the heck out of this. I can’t take the sump out, so making do, so can I drain the sump and had another plexiglass and silicon it In before the skimmer?

Issue is the skimmer is so big, I have to take it complete apart to even get it out and that’s not always possible. Other thought is a nice canister filter linked into the sump (100 gallons plus) with carbon and micro pads only. Should I place it in the sump or display behind.

I was able to slow the returns down to 25% but since kicked up to 75% to increase flow and each is at 3200 gph. As of the moment sadly my math says I have severe lacking flow in my tank. If I have four 2100 gph wave makers two 3200 return pumps (dedicated one per overflow) at 75% then a gyre at 100%. All wave makers are at 100% on pulse mode. When I do stream it Rips the sps flesh off so that’s a no.

Possibly add two smaller ones in the far back wall facing the front glass. So 4x2100 is 8400 plus 3000 is 11400 plus say 3200x2 is 6400 at 75% which is 4816 and total of 16,236 then by water in tank sump so roughly 220 gallons 240 tank 40 breaded is 280 minus displacement so roughly 220. (Sorry my brain is on mars). But that comes to 74 times the flow correct.

I may add another 3000 gyre but now I’m running out of electrical sockets and it’s kinda of a nightmare. So may have an electrician give advice.

Other big news lol well I hate my neighbors and the stupid design how they placed all homes less than 8 feet across. So looking actively looking for a new house. So far nothing really fits my tank sizes, w/o major mods. I would prefer a
Separate room or even do heated garage for the sump tank.

Because the 240 does so well on its own, it was deemed earlier keeping them separate (do we all agree lolz). Will have my lfs just move the tank 240 and set it back up the same day. Issues people see with this, please tell me now.
I would love to have the 425 placed on the main wall and the 240 at a 90 degree angel. Where I have enough room to walk behind them maintence etc.

The separate water room I’m liking a lot because less smell and then easy access. Which means two sumps etc so pros and cons on that. Major concern is being able to silicon the staxx rocks if they are live. I won’t have enough time before they die so @120reefkeeper how did that work for you?

On my 425 I was going to run three of the 3200 gph current usa returns, 8 wave makers from them at 2100 and two icecap 3k gyres. Would this even by enough flow, getting a massive deal through current usa :). Can’t remember the flow equation to save my skin.

Sorry for the long post and also tri color sps can’t remember if they want super high light and lots of flow or medium and average flow. Currently getting about 450-500 and average flow. (Too much maybe).

Thanks my dear friends didn’t mean to write a book.
I'm jumping in late in the conversation, but instead of silicone on the rocks, have you considered hydraulic cement? That can be done wet and dried super fast. I would have to read if it can go in the tank right away. My understanding is it should soak a while.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Popular country music and popular pop music are both the same thing. Corporate driven monotony that can barely be called music. They are a vehicle for corporate radio ad sales.
And to reinforce what @NY_Caveman is saying... This is SIX country songs mashed together that are indistinguishable from one another. Listen to this...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back