Urgh seriously.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello,

I think my Lt tang has some internal parasite so with that said can I use prazipro in my tank? I can’t catch him to put in a separate tank which is the main issue.
PraziPro is deemed reef safe. Use 80% of recommended dosage

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Soo lol that’s my problem the writing is soo small I cant
See the instructions so I know I have to take out my carbon. But do I need to stop the skimmer, and water volume is 200 gallons roughly, any suggestions? It’s only that one and he eats them spits it back out but then grazes. Never seen this before

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello,

Soo lol that’s my problem the writing is soo small I cant
See the instructions so I know I have to take out my carbon. But do I need to stop the skimmer, and water volume is 200 gallons roughly, any suggestions? It’s only that one and he eats them spits it back out but then grazes. Never seen this before
Grazing is good sign - showing interest in food. Try adding garlic to the food? May entice it to eat.
Yes pull carbon but save it as you can place it back in after treatment

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Well since I have been home I put some nori in and I know for certain he is the only one who eats it. Which at the moment that’s all he has been doing is eating the nori so bonus. But he is not spitting it out but I pulled the carbon and should I still treat with praizpro? The fact I can leave nori sheets in just for him to eat and eat eat is good. I always use garlic guard I use it daily. He stopped liking frozen shrimp brine and mysis, and would only eat small amounts.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So have everything ready to treat just not sure if I need to not skim. I removed my carbon and turned uv off. But I thought I had to keep my skimmer going no matter what for oxygen.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Well I took my skimmer cup off and uv off line and carbon out. I have about 200 gallons of water so I dosed 50ml of prazipro (crosses fingers let’s hope I didn’t just make a huge mistake). Here are some pics and again he eats good (small bites but he is getting thin, has to be some parasite internally). He swims and is very active and stays on the nori pretty good which I’ll leave in there. But like before he would shrewd a whole sheet of nori in minutes and it’s not like that now, but hey he is eating it. If I can keep food in him, and this prazipro kills what ever he has he may make it. Here are some pics granted they kinda suck, but it’s an iPhone and he moves a lot. He is the only one and every other fish is super fat and eats like crazy. The Lt tang usually swims non stop more aggressive at feeding, now he waits but I feed one side then when he swims away I’ll feed him and give him a head start.

94768E66-1BA6-43BD-AED8-60ECD8141552.jpeg 125EAF8A-16B5-4C60-B3AA-7342FE326128.jpeg A70861E3-8A9E-464A-BFF0-6946043FE10A.jpeg C4C36C8C-7CA2-45FA-8770-4041C3E2F02D.jpeg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Wow, this guy is thin. Definitely needs to eat . . .LOL

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this guy is thin. Definitely needs to eat . . .LOL

Hello,

That’s what’s making me go crazy he eats every day and again he has been on the nori since I put it in and eats every day. It’s not like before where he would be a pig but he still tries to be. I have noticed he will eat but smaller pieces. Not sure if he has some internal parasite or (i glued some frags but thought he had some on his mouth but doesn’t). Maybe he swallowed some reef glue, or he has one heck of a parasite feeding off of him.
The pics of his face look just like that, but pics of his body in real view his body looks better. You can barely see his main spine, and it always looks like his stomach is full. I will try and get better pics tomorrow when main lights are back on and he has been swimming.

I am just not sure I dosed the prazipro properly and or if he needs something else. I don’t think he has flukes, he has no outside markings and is very active. He was super fat and healthy about a week and half ago. But he has been eating every night. All other fish are super fat and healthy specially the fangs and angel and chromies are really kinda well fat. I have no idea what the problem is and I have actually increased feeding and made it where he doesn’t have to compete. But Every time he eats instead of a big piece of mysis it’s small ones and he always grazes. When I added nori today he was the only one nipping at it. Which is good but he use to shread those in minutes and this is taking him awhile to do.

Here is a pic takin oct 6 and if you zoom in he was much fatter then. The second pic was 2 days before the move which was end of August.

1E702CF2-75AD-4B1E-BDA0-297787D591EF.jpeg 5E5AA05A-6FEE-4D20-8957-8BA80985890F.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Speaking with @Humblefish I am wondering if this is hlle. I have never ran carbon in my tank before until 2 weeks ago and he was fine then as the pics show. I have removed the carbon, because I dosed prazipro so we shall see. I hope he is right and that by adding nori and anything else will help him recover.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Speaking with @Humblefish I am wondering if this is hlle. I have never ran carbon in my tank before until 2 weeks ago and he was fine then as the pics show. I have removed the carbon, because I dosed prazipro so we shall see. I hope he is right and that by adding nori and anything else will help him recover.
If you can put him in QT, API's General Cure treats HLLE

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can put him in QT, API's General Cure treats HLLE

Hello,

That’s something I have kinda wanted to do, but catching him in my reef is very hard. Generally i probably would make an effort to move corals and rock etc, however I just moved my tank and it was pretty hard on it. I don’t like losing anything but I really avoid mass losses. If he doesn’t improve in two days with what I have treated and done I may not have any choice but to do that. What’s odd is does this affect all fish or just weak immune ones?

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So since his stomach is nice and fat, I’m pretty sure he has hlle. Now I have to find away to treat it in my tank. Tried to catch fish even with food n the tank and they scatter. Good sign he just keeps on the nori and as soon as it’s gone I put another one on. I will start mixing other food with vitamins to help with slime coat and immune system. Kinda mad at myself for not noticing this a little faster. Definitely made me look at other fish and I so no signs but sadly the one affected is the only tang in the tank that will eat nori. Even before my move it was always the Naso and Lt tang who ate nori. My hippo would once in a while but not others. I just have no idea how he caught it.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I definitely think this is hlle, and maybe possibly some parasite internally. After almost running the prazipro he is eating more, but I also removed the carbon from my tank.
Which means ahh soo much for using flatworm exit since I have to run carbon for two weeks. Of course my lfs carries nothing for vitamins for fish. One would think they would, hmmm keep forgetting I live in Boise and we are kinda behind. So I’m restricted to local super market for vitamins. @jsker do you have any suggestions for dosage of vitamins for tangs and fish also @Brew12 ? Feeding the nori has definitely been a positive and he is eating that non stop so that’s good because it has vitamins he needs.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I definitely think this is hlle, and maybe possibly some parasite internally. After almost running the prazipro he is eating more, but I also removed the carbon from my tank.
Which means ahh soo much for using flatworm exit since I have to run carbon for two weeks. Of course my lfs carries nothing for vitamins for fish. One would think they would, hmmm keep forgetting I live in Boise and we are kinda behind. So I’m restricted to local super market for vitamins. @jsker do you have any suggestions for dosage of vitamins for tangs and fish also @Brew12 ? Feeding the nori has definitely been a positive and he is eating that non stop so that’s good because it has vitamins he needs.
Vitamin C and B-12. grind the tabs up, mix with food and feed. 500 mg of C a 1 1000 mcg mixed with a weeks worth of Frozen food. If you just feed daily divide and feed :D

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vitamin C and B-12. grind the tabs up, mix with food and feed. 500 mg of C a 1 1000 mcg mixed with a weeks worth of Frozen food. If you just feed daily divide and feed :D

Hello,

So let me see if I read your post right, use 500mg of
Vitamin c daily? I feed daily and never keep food, I make it daily. Since I do this do you mean 100mg of vitamin c and is it the same for b12?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm going to defer to @jsker on this one. I have never added vitamins to any of my fish food.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So let me see if I read your post right, use 500mg of
Vitamin c daily? I feed daily and never keep food, I make it daily. Since I do this do you mean 100mg of vitamin c and is it the same for b12?
That would be correct.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a little seachem focus to bind the vitamins with the food so that the fish ingest the vitamins.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 77.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.7%
Back