OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sarah I cannot imagine the pain you must be in. I cannot believe you even posted. Please heal well and know we are all just glad to have you still with us. You are strong and I know you can adapt to whatever life throws at you.

Thanks to all, (generally I am able to respond to each one (because they deserve the courtesy, but it would take me to next week to type them out with the wrong hand:(. It’s very difficult rely solely on my right when I am mainly left. @NY_Caveman thanks, and about posting, ahh good question. Well let’s see I could try and use better explanation or better thought but it takes a while to type and just hard. As much as I enjoy co workers family etc, (parents not sooo much but still), I have always been very shy. When they come in they want to give hugs etc, which I definitely want but it hurts soooo bad and when like five or more show up it’s stressful and painful. Plus with nurses always in and out every 15-30 min I never get to stay under a blanket and hospital gowns just make one feel well naked. So I had to do a do not disturb just till I can at least stay n a blanket. Posting on here, well most of my friends are on here (yes we may not have met, but always caring means more). I have had 7 surgeries and (memory isn’t great I believe 4 were life threatening). It wouldn’t be okay for those who have been kind to wonder, why I stopped etc. as much as my parents cringed and begged me not to I even did a dnr (do not resuscitate). Even now it’s unknown and hoping the worst is past but one doesn’t know. Recovery will be hard and honestly two things I love I probably won’t get to do any more. It’s gonna be very difficult to even keep a tank, specially being immobile for I’d say 6-12 months but it depends on how I heal. Secondly I have put life on hold to have a career in this field and for the first time i don’t know how it will turn out. I have a ton of vacation sick and comp time but this is gonna be long term. It’s up in the air and work has been supportive, but I have to finish residency etc, with this now I may have to totally start over etc. so yeah it’s time to think long term. Even my home is all stairs, and all bedrooms are up stairs. My parents are and have been helping a lot and they said the same we will cross that bridge when needed. Of course leave it to my older brother to stay hey no worries just use the force like darth Vader. Hmmm.

(this post may be out of sync wrote some then stopped, wrote some more stopped then went back and added then erased then yeah) thanks for the thoughts and prayers definitely not looking forward to dying, but the pain sure makes me wish

Well the pain is bad in different ways. Since I have an epidural anything below my waist I can’t feel, but my toes still wiggle. As some may or may not know hospitals have aka pain machines or dispensers per say, make this easier to write. So I have a pick line (huge iv and goes in an artery (in my left arm), so any thing in need goes in there, (which let’s hope it doesn’t get clogged up), they csm at times. Then on my left arm I have a butterfly iv which is hooked to the pain machine so every 15 min I can push a button and it administers it. But for example there different types of pain, broken bone pain, then nerve pain then like internal med pain etc. so for the broken ribs sternum etc the Dilaudid helps with that more than nerve pain internally. They give me some tramadol as well, but for for nerve they are using gabepentin (Im on more meds than what a pharmacy carries). But sometimes 15 min feels like 15 hours and waiting to push that button which is nice because when through iv it works almost instantly.

The staples above my stomach and internal stitches hurt special when eating. Even liquid diet I tried cream of wheat really watered down (so gross), but food, and it’s always the feeling the staples will rip out. Which is normal but hurts really bad and triggers more pain. It’s been tempting to just have the liquid aka banana drip (gives one daily nutrients and calories) but I thought our hospital food was bad (it’s really bad here).

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to put this in but it didn’t work and sorta had to type it again oh well, not like I can go any where.

Seeing both sides provider and patient, it’s been interesting. Most of the doctors bedside manners are terrible right up until they realize I work at the other truama center when they ask me what I do for work. Now most of the nurses and Cna are well (hard for me to criticize because I literally have to rely on them), are not caring and some seriously lack qualifications. Some nurses I had to correct and they like to argue. Till they realize I can explain the process better. But this is the 4 time one of the cna leaned over and literally pressed on my legs. Some are pretty careless and pressing the call light is frustrating when it takes them 20 min to come in and I’m literally right in front of the nurses station. But they have now caught on since staff from work have come in to see me. Some still don’t care and just don’t well care, but some nurses a more careful on how or what they tell me. But funny thing is when some of the surgeons tried explaining to me like dr to dr I had to stop and say pretend I’m 6. Because I have been so drugged I can’t tell the difference between Bert and Ernie from seasame street. But I nkw first hand see what patients say and feel when I went on my morning checks. It was something I would have not learned from school or other people sadly but to be in this position.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear.jpg

So sad to read such terrible news, especially after all you've been through lately. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear.jpg

So sad to read such terrible news, especially after all you've been through lately. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

In the most caring way ahh do you happen to have pic like that but with both legs in a cast :). I sure wish I was her with just that.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have never known you are on so many meds :D Same ole Sara and that's a relief .
Do you mind sharing what Hospital you are in? So we could send in a pizza and Buffalo Wings.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just googled "girl with broken leg cartoon" and found this. I'll look for one for you though. Yeah, hate to say it but you're going to have a looooong recovery time. But, like what they say, "What doesn't kill you..... well it still hurts like the dickens. For now just recover so we can look forward to more of your funny posts.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have never known you are on so many meds :D Same ole Sara and that's a relief .
Do you mind sharing what Hospital you are in? So we could send in a pizza and Buffalo Wings.

I’m in st Luke’s meridian icu but I’m on a liquid diet only but I’d eat that over hospital food. Do too work co workers I did a do not disturb I will have to take it off.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh hi,

So it’s been awhile and I have no idea how the house or tank are. I was in a severe accident Tuesday morning and still in icu. It’s not been a fun time as it’s taking me so long to type this. But I was told I was hit head on by another driver at 55 mph. I have broken both of my femur bones and had to have reconstruction surgery on both legs, and a lot more stuff. But it’s why I’m quiet because it’s super pain full (and I have an epidural still in). has I heal and recover I will be open to show more what happens when hit head on.

069C6094-D4EA-4962-9F11-B01EDFF0471A.jpeg
Praying for you Sarah.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

It’s odd when one is hospitalized what things they miss like milk and normal food. But do to the fact that I can’t move and these rooms are sooo bland. That’s well problem number one but problem number 2 is out of 120 stations that I can watch there are only 2 that make any sense to watch, Cartoon Network, and at times discovery channel. But for the remaining 118 channels 95% are shopping channels lol. Like I’m going to go on a shopping spree from my hospital bed. I’m curious if I can press the call button and ask the nurse or aid if they will wheel me across town in my bed to pick up some new shoes or some odd thing? I’m guessing but heavily relying on the notion of no way! Not to mention the have qvc same channel in 7 different languages and one is Spanish, another is French, pretty sure Chinese or Japanese or both and let’s through in Korean. The others I have no idea wonder if the nurses know?
Now granted I have been sleeping more than normal, (it’s because they are medicating me senseless). But what does one exactly do when we are here for 24/7 possibly longer? As funny as it may be my older brother was suggesting he get me a huge Lego set (like over 4,000 pieces), and see if I can put it together with one hand. Even as a professional it would be kinda funny if a patient pressed their call button to find a brick or two and stick them together. I must admit there are not too many things one can do while being stuck literally in bed and only having one hand and five fingers. I complained I kept seeing 7 fingers on my hand and they said they would adjust the dosage, (ya think lol).
But sadly no new updates and they gave me the option of either being put to sleep or watching as they put screws into it. Nope I know how it is done, please use a horse tranquilizer and make sure I’m really out. If not granted I won’t feel it but it makes me cringe.
Today not sure why I can focus more but that’s about the only thing so far, (well nothing has gone to worse so that’s good. I finally found my room number lol it finally wasn’t blocked by medical files.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

It’s odd when one is hospitalized what things they miss like milk and normal food. But do to the fact that I can’t move and these rooms are sooo bland. That’s well problem number one but problem number 2 is out of 120 stations that I can watch there are only 2 that make any sense to watch, Cartoon Network, and at times discovery channel. But for the remaining 118 channels 95% are shopping channels lol. Like I’m going to go on a shopping spree from my hospital bed. I’m curious if I can press the call button and ask the nurse or aid if they will wheel me across town in my bed to pick up some new shoes or some odd thing? I’m guessing but heavily relying on the notion of no way! Not to mention the have qvc same channel in 7 different languages and one is Spanish, another is French, pretty sure Chinese or Japanese or both and let’s through in Korean. The others I have no idea wonder if the nurses know?
Now granted I have been sleeping more than normal, (it’s because they are medicating me senseless). But what does one exactly do when we are here for 24/7 possibly longer? As funny as it may be my older brother was suggesting he get me a huge Lego set (like over 4,000 pieces), and see if I can put it together with one hand. Even as a professional it would be kinda funny if a patient pressed their call button to find a brick or two and stick them together. I must admit there are not too many things one can do while being stuck literally in bed and only having one hand and five fingers. I complained I kept seeing 7 fingers on my hand and they said they would adjust the dosage, (ya think lol).
But sadly no new updates and they gave me the option of either being put to sleep or watching as they put screws into it. Nope I know how it is done, please use a horse tranquilizer and make sure I’m really out. If not granted I won’t feel it but it makes me cringe.
Today not sure why I can focus more but that’s about the only thing so far, (well nothing has gone to worse so that’s good. I finally found my room number lol it finally wasn’t blocked by medical files.
Amazing you are still cracking us up as a crumpled up human being. Dilaudid is quite a drug (pharmaceutical heroin basically). When your vision clears up you can start drawing or doodling. Another good one handed activity is the ever classic ball in a cup.
E8A779F7-19BD-4EC7-B9E4-C7A4BC01DB71.gif

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing you are still cracking us up as a crumpled up human being. Dilaudid is quite a drug (pharmaceutical heroin basically). When your vision clears up you can start drawing or doodling. Another good one handed activity is the ever classic ball in a cup.
E8A779F7-19BD-4EC7-B9E4-C7A4BC01DB71.gif

Hello,

I have been really trying to be in better spirits but it is hard. The Lego idea would be kinda fun to try (for the first time lol), I mean have like the new Star Wars star destroyer that’s like 5,000 pieces. Have them bring it in open with all these bags and instructions, and then hit the call light. They walk (yes can I help you?), umm can I get a hand here, I only have one that works at the moment do you mind? Would be neat to see the reaction :).

So family is doing there best to keep me well in good spirits. Was not thrilled when insurance adjuster called me to just say, we have concluded your jeep is totaled. Really, they only basically cut it in half to extract me. I thought we could just you know super glue it back together. Needless to say I handed my phone to my dad and he left the room etc. but I promised I would try to be in good spirits but some things just don’t bounce back as fast as we hope. To be honest not sure I want to drive again, but I know I don’t have to worry about a car for quite awhile.

@Katrina71 thanks and it’s been hard and painful and emotionally exhausting. I am very lucky for the angel that I have because, I don’t think I would be writing this if I hadn’t. Today has been better I can focus a little more but still usually after about 1.5 hours I’m super exhausted and sleep even it’s super awkward.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG, Sarah! I am so sorry to hear this. Just found out this evening. So happy you are still with us and that your sense of humor is unscathed. Hang on to that. It will important in the weeks and months to come. One day at a time. Hang in there! We are all pulling for you!

Last edited:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sarah, I've been through my share, not as bad as you at the moment, but plenty in my 56 years of life.

So, here's some stories.......

I broke my leg at a BMX race In Tulsa Oklahoma when I was young. Broke my tibia on my left leg in four places. Hey, if your going to break it, break it real good, right!? When they were transporting me to the hospital, the pain was terrible and they gave me a shot. I instantly felt better and was hungry. I asked the emt's if we could go through the drive thru at Burger King so I could get a Whopper before we got to the emergency room. They laughed and said "we are hungry too, but no, not a good idea"! Oh well, I tried! Lol

Next, last year I was diagnosed with heart failure. Don't worry, I've improved since. It's the meds and my "Never surrender" attitude! (And "God's not done with me" which is probably the reason) was at 10% now I'm at 40% and improving. Don't need to see my cardiologist but once a year now!

They made a decision to put a implant pacemaker/defibrillator on me back then. Went into surgery and while under I woke up! Everyone yelling "Don, don't move! We are in your heart right now!" I said "Okay, but I can feel everything, can you put me back under?", They say "Nope, can do that!"

I stayed awake during the rest of the surgery, 1 and a half hours, talking to the surgical team about keeping a reef tank and the hobby! Oh, and my wife, kids and grandkids! Lol I got high fives from all the team for doing so well! Hey like I was going anywhere at the time! Lol

You may feel down at times, I know. it's normal, but kiddo, never surrender! You are young and have so much life to live! So many around you that love you and you have so many stores to tell your grandkids one day!

Hang in there and rest, heal and keep your head up! All of us are praying for you! God hears our prayers!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back