Urgh seriously.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Sorry I had to catch up on sleep as I was simply exhausted. So still trying to figure out how I can like my tank again (i love it but you guys know what we mean by that.) it’s kinda like that neat spot or view in finding Nemo, that’s how I am with my tank.

I had my first fish loss yesterday as well my golden goby is mia. He was there when I started to move rocks around. I tried to work in my tank on the opposite side where my fish were. After being bit several times from my clown fish I caught him and stuck him in the sump. Lol he is history, trade him for another clown that doesn’t bite every time I try and help the tank. Although I did Ruin their reef and home and etc. but I tried to put it back. It just turned out way different. Doing the same rock scape is super hard even w pictures.
And that is why I haven't owned a clownfish in about 30 years. :)

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that is why I haven't owned a clownfish in about 30 years. :)

Hello,

Yeah ahhh they were nice and had great personalities and then suddenly lol demon fish. I still have him but wanna check and see if it will negatively affect my frog spawn since they host each other.

I was really expecting the move to go much better but now not so sure. With the corals being in buckets over night I turned my house up to 78 but water was cold. I dumped some out and used pitchers of tank water to try and reaccilmate them. They did not like the change from cold to warm and they were in there for about an hour.

Lol I’m curious does this mean I get a build thread badge now and moved to member tanks since I’m literally re doing my tank :) (trying to be positive lol).

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Yeah ahhh they were nice and had great personalities and then suddenly lol demon fish. I still have him but wanna check and see if it will negatively affect my frog spawn since they host each other.

I was really expecting the move to go much better but now not so sure. With the corals being in buckets over night I turned my house up to 78 but water was cold. I dumped some out and used pitchers of tank water to try and reaccilmate them. They did not like the change from cold to warm and they were in there for about an hour.

Lol I’m curious does this mean I get a build thread badge now and moved to member tanks since I’m literally re doing my tank :) (trying to be positive lol).
Users give themself that badge. Just follow the steps lol.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should start a build thread for the rebirth of the 240 and keep your tank stuff there. Then you can have this thread in the sump, where you can post whatever you want. If they move this thread into Member Tanks, someone may decide to complain about there being too much off-topic stuff in your thread. Just my opinion. Then you would have two threads to keep up with. :)

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

As much as starting a new thread sounds lol I just atm couldn’t manage two to be honest, I’m doing everything I can just to keep as much of my old 240 alive atm .

So coral loss is hitting hard, specially sps and chalices some lps are struggling so I’m holding hope. Pretty sure three acros frog skin miagye fort and purple stag are done, alien eye is done, reverse prism is done green slimer, and probably ten no names are done. Some are hanging on and some havnt been phased.

Here are some pics of the current new rock setup. To
Be honest I really hate it, but was in a time crunch to get everything back in. Odd thing is tested water parameters had to dose alk and calcium, yet we used 80 gallons new salt water, and even more odd is I went to literally no phosphates or nitrates, so I gave it seed and some reef roids and will feed a tad more.

The good news is the two chromies and golden goby didn’t pass on. They were just mad and hid from me forever even during feeding. So that’s a positive that I moved the tank and no fish loss. That’s a huge positive, but still sad losing corals left and right and there isn’t anything I can do. Changing anything would only stress things more.

With that said I will let this rock setup stay for a few months then maybe change it. Right now trying to slow the coral death. With that said, I have to be honest paying 340 dollars to move my tank and it costs me about 1,000 in coral death isn’t high on my list. I’m tempted to ask why they didn’t follow my advice. I think keeping them in a bucket over night was theeee worst advice ever and really want followers and or readers to make sure if you move your tank, and need help. Your not like me who is shy and quiet and way to trusting. Be the boss and direct traffic it’s your ocean. As hurtful as this is, it’s nkt in my nature to confront or bring issues with the lfs. It’s the one I even trust the most and just reslly was a major set back.

I can assure you if one moves a tank do not set it back up throw sand in first then fill it. Once filled blindly place coral in the front and some base rock randomly. Separate your rock (you will know trust me), set all base rock in first then sand, then fill it with water to that rock line. Then finish placing top rock corals and top tank off etc.

Sadly for the first time here are pics of my tank redo but honestly it’s horrible and nothing like I just had 2 days ago.

32BCEDB1-1BB7-444D-A0BB-4AAC4DD5C1C3.jpeg AB633CE4-CFD2-4A46-BA86-D67E820975F9.jpeg 00445056-63F9-4667-A805-586AB92C51F9.jpeg

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’m curious if @Brew12 has moved a tank or anyone really. If so curious as to how did they not shock the corals and usually how many did one lose. I have lost most of my sps now three remain out of about 25. Half of my chalices have died my brain corals are doing. The pink ******* is trying but losing. Some lps corals are not happy and yesterday my clam was super happy. Now he is pretty mad and doesn’t even open close to what it should be. It’s at the same level and on its own rock. That’s where my confusion comes in, most of the time my older version never had this many problems. @Lasse (curious if you have moved a tank and the outcome).

After as much as my tank has grown getting things apart on top is soooo hard and it’s very fragile. The base rock was super easy just wish I had a few more so I could have had the same land scape

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’m curious if @Brew12 has moved a tank or anyone really. If so curious as to how did they not shock the corals and usually how many did one lose. I have lost most of my sps now three remain out of about 25. Half of my chalices have died my brain corals are doing. The pink ******* is trying but losing. Some lps corals are not happy and yesterday my clam was super happy. Now he is pretty mad and doesn’t even open close to what it should be. It’s at the same level and on its own rock. That’s where my confusion comes in, most of the time my older version never had this many problems. @Lasse (curious if you have moved a tank and the outcome).

After as much as my tank has grown getting things apart on top is soooo hard and it’s very fragile. The base rock was super easy just wish I had a few more so I could have had the same land scape
I moved my first tank to this place before I set up my 90gal. It was about 10 miles away. I just drained the tank, put rocks in a bucket, coral in a separate bucket that I plugged a small powerhead and a heater up to while I set the tank back up. I didn’t lose any coral. You had water movement when the coral was in the buckets right? I’m at a loss to why you are losing so many. Sorry for your troubles :(

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved my first tank to this place before I set up my 90gal. It was about 10 miles away. I just drained the tank, put rocks in a bucket, coral in a separate bucket that I plugged a small powerhead and a heater up to while I set the tank back up. I didn’t lose any coral. You had water movement when the coral was in the buckets right? I’m at a loss to why you are losing so many. Sorry for your troubles :(

Hello,

Well I was super dumb and hired my lfs to
Move the tank. They were suppose to show
Up at 8, and didn’t show up till 2. So when they moved it I told them so many times to put base rock in first then the sand and fill up to the water line. Then finish ththe top section. They didn’t do any of that.

Instead I paid 340 for the move and they ran out of time but left all my corals in huge buckets and turned my heat to 78 in the house. They did not use heaters or flow just in a bucket with tank water for 24 hours. I had to work at 8 that night a 24 hour shift so that didn’t help me any. Other reasons is they blind placed corals in the front and randomly placed rocks. It’s also how I lost maybe ten. Instead of being face up they were face down but I couldn’t see them because of how much sand was in the water. This has been a night mare

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved tanks with few lost. It is very difficult to sit here on the other side of the Atlantic and try to give you advises and understand whats happen. But I think you are in the right track when you state this

I think keeping them in a bucket over night was theeee worst advice ever and really want followers and or readers to make sure if you move your tank, and need help.

@Hemmdog question about circulation is critical - if the buckets get anoxic or anaerobic during night - it killed your corals. Photosynthetic corals do produce oxygen during light hours but consume (as nearly all living organism) oxygen during darkness. with lot of corals, bacteria in the stones - there is a risk that your buckets get oxygen free during night.

But the way you handle this mess with moving, fixing for your aquarium, working impress me. You will manage this too. as they say in Germany "Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker".

When things like this happens me - I close my door to my study, take the 19th nervous breakdown, turn the speakers on max - playing this

wait a minute - play this

walk out from the study and start fighting again :)

Sincerely Lasse

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You will be surprised how many things will be fine in 6 weeks. Give things time. When I swapped tanks, I was told to expect 25% loss of all livestock. I'd move things that you see need moving, and tweak the rest slowly. This is an excellent opportunity to move things around. Maybe even resolve some spots that flow was an issue.

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I haven't moved a tank, but I did do tear down my old tank and put all my corals in containers. I used large totes to keep my fish and coral with plenty of flow.

edit: And I'm sorry I haven't more time to offer advice.... I've been workign 14+ hour days for the last week supervising maintenance in my substation.
1568548040507.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Today I was off and was a the verge of being insane so I kinda said to he beck with it. I ended up driving to Mccall (about 94 miles ) and just enjoyed the woods and walking by the lake and sail boats. Lol I have to be moved in a week and honestly just need to have some kind of life. The corals are still crashing and there is no way to stop it or slow it but I have all my fish still.

But going up to the woods and just being alone (which I am most of the time other than work) had its benefits.

6F225FEA-F9EB-421C-A430-EE04F7B17781.jpeg 22D36066-68EF-4865-B85E-8C361FD1A920.jpeg 29886713-DDCA-4A12-B8DE-6DDAD92CE1F4.jpeg 5237971B-A8AE-490E-9D98-F8D76566C80D.jpeg 246A6880-74FC-402E-BE7C-713C19861E78.jpeg BB29BEBA-1FE9-44A9-8FE6-0A1093B1D410.jpeg 797FF55F-FFA5-4791-98B7-ABA0DD9EB1F8.jpeg 835EB105-3674-4B76-B30A-F60A4CE66442.jpeg 678A016C-3E7A-4F25-9FB6-697C55485823.jpeg D200C77A-8DFE-41D5-8B0E-56F5239423C5.jpeg 0C146495-C363-47A9-AC56-F1A948AB3250.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you stop at Shore Lodge and look at their reef tank?

Hello,

I really tried but they are closed on Sundays. I was a little sad they went and made most of the beach and piers private. When I was in hs and heck college you could go anywhere. Sadly it’s turned into a super rich only town. I mean lol I looked at a house that was similar to what I owned in Boise and it was almost 1 million. I saw a brand new house for 27 million close to the shore. It doesn’t even look that amazing lol.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back