Urgh seriously.

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

After being on some serious antiviral meds I’m finally done and not throwing up or much of anything. I have slept a lot and it has helped me get my immune system back and was able to go home and that was very nice. My older brother was kind enough to care for my tank while I was gone, and well at least he tried. Between the lfs and him things did okay.

On a less serious note lol my brother thinks I need a career change. I kind of gawked at him, and was curious what he had in mind. Well he said with all my saltwater lights I could be a weed farmer lol. I have no idea what that takes, (nor would I do it), but lol coming up with names for it was fun. You know just the basic stuff we just make it simple weed lol, something more potent, out of your mind, then we have the strongest, jfk’s head. In the rough times I have had the last two months, it was a pretty good laugh. It made being home feel really good and it was nice to just have fun.

professionally speaking ( I would not recommend the use of this substance for any reason, and it will never enter my body), I can’t speak for others. But it was fun coming up with names for different levels of it.

You’re obviously not from Colorado. It’s practically mandatory here. BTW, CBD oil is excellent for managing seizures.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So it’s been a little over 2 months since I decided to rearrange my bone structure lol. The positive is well I can walk again, not very well at this point, but more stable than before. The scars are healing as expected, well better than I had expected. Here are some after pics 60 ish days from when I had to have surgery. Granted lol my mum had to help me take these because I’m not stable enough to well be on one leg yet, but shows how fascinating the body is and can heal. Yes lol I have lots more scars from the accident (surgery ones lol (not including emotional), however I’m just comfy showing my knees :).

My bones are healing, just taking longer which is normal. Getting muscle strength back is helping but it’s still small baby steps. Still have to use braces on right leg and left sometimes. It’s my goal to use the walker and time with out it to get comfortable again. It’s pretty tricky when you hear sounds in your legs when you apply weight and pressure. I have days where I think I’m made out of legos.

9AA9A6FE-FE1A-4C28-93DD-8624171E366A.png 67B90746-26ED-4D41-9CBB-4D1E68D845E6.png 84D5CAE4-72B9-4242-BA7B-F64F9323290C.png 47D78036-7F47-4D0F-B4AA-B6FE976A82E4.png
Wow Sarah, that is healing up nicely!

If you are made up of Lego's, does that mean you are Swedish? ;Wideyed That might explain why you love living in the cold weather!

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that's healing up great especially the knee. You seem to be progressing quick especially after your bout with sickness.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

So it’s been a little over 2 months since I decided to rearrange my bone structure lol. The positive is well I can walk again, not very well at this point, but more stable than before. The scars are healing as expected, well better than I had expected. Here are some after pics 60 ish days from when I had to have surgery. Granted lol my mum had to help me take these because I’m not stable enough to well be on one leg yet, but shows how fascinating the body is and can heal. Yes lol I have lots more scars from the accident (surgery ones lol (not including emotional), however I’m just comfy showing my knees :).

My bones are healing, just taking longer which is normal. Getting muscle strength back is helping but it’s still small baby steps. Still have to use braces on right leg and left sometimes. It’s my goal to use the walker and time with out it to get comfortable again. It’s pretty tricky when you hear sounds in your legs when you apply weight and pressure. I have days where I think I’m made out of legos.

9AA9A6FE-FE1A-4C28-93DD-8624171E366A.png 67B90746-26ED-4D41-9CBB-4D1E68D845E6.png 84D5CAE4-72B9-4242-BA7B-F64F9323290C.png 47D78036-7F47-4D0F-B4AA-B6FE976A82E4.png
Healing Very nicely !!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,

It looks like a few little goby kisses. I knew you'd heal beautifully!

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was watching some videos about like carbon dosing, phosphates etc and trace elements as well as keeping and growing sps. It’s been very interesting to see and read different theories and processes. For example I had a small issue with gha, and after watching a video they mentioned that if this is growing it’s a red flag and the corals are missing a vital nutrient. Didn’t know that. With that said, I did scrub some rocks and found my mag was low. After slowly raising it I have noticed other sections of gha die off. Most assume it’s because we have too much phosphates and nitrates. That isn’t always true it could be other missing items, including trace elements.

What’s more interesting is after all these years I always thought if I was under .25 phosphate I was in the sweet zone. According to some studies, it’s actually around .04 to.09 roughly. Yet there is also the claim that since corals need nitrates to feed but more importantly need phosphates, we can establish certain bacteria, that will consume the po4 but then the corals consume the bacteria (hence getting the beloved po4 they need. It’s interesting as well that good coral growth also is the same requirements for the nasties aka gha. It’s not uncommon in nature to see them side by side it’s just we want the perfect reef.

Most of all, maybe one of the reasons I don’t have explosive growth, is may be I’m lacking bacteria, or some other nutrient. my tank has always been a mixed reef so tad harder to maintain. But as much as we think about trace elements and water changes, it’s been shown for example if you do a 10% water change on 100 gallon system, where calcium is 420, and it’s now at 380. Even Fresh salt water is only going to add 4% nutrients so we go up to 388. Which is why I have to dose daily and usually not water changes. But they do handle exports really well though. Another key thing item I learned is some corals will explode with color and growth if saturated with trace elements. The down fall is the little critters inside can’t supply the zooxanthel Properly and they die. Which is interesting point; since I always thought water changes replenished trace elements,
Which’ in reality it does very little and on larger tanks needs to be added in. But I have not finished all the videos yet or Info on how to keep sps long term when parameters are good. There are some interesting discussions going on. I’m definitely eager to try some and I think it’s time to finally order the phosphate and nitrate digital Hannah checkers. When I use my api, I always seem to be hovering around the .25 mark but not by much. Which means lol I’m way high, which seems to also give me gha and now I know my corals are lacking a vital supplement.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
[QUOTE="Sarah24!, post: 6948391
Hello,

I was watching some videos about like carbon dosing, phosphates etc and trace elements as well as keeping and growing sps. It’s been very interesting to see and read different theories and processes. For example I had a small issue with gha, and after watching a video they mentioned that if this is growing it’s a red flag and the corals are missing a vital nutrient. Didn’t know that. With that said, I did scrub some rocks and found my mag was low. After slowly raising it I have noticed other sections of gha die off. Most assume it’s because we have too much phosphates and nitrates. That isn’t always true it could be other missing items, including trace elements.

What’s more interesting is after all these years I always thought if I was under .25 phosphate I was in the sweet zone. According to some studies, it’s actually around .04 to.09 roughly. Yet there is also the claim that since corals need nitrates to feed but more importantly need phosphates, we can establish certain bacteria, that will consume the po4 but then the corals consume the bacteria (hence getting the beloved po4 they need. It’s interesting as well that good coral growth also is the same requirements for the nasties aka gha. It’s not uncommon in nature to see them side by side it’s just we want the perfect reef.

Most of all, maybe one of the reasons I don’t have explosive growth, is may be I’m lacking bacteria, or some other nutrient. my tank has always been a mixed reef so tad harder to maintain. But as much as we think about trace elements and water changes, it’s been shown for example if you do a 10% water change on 100 gallon system, where calcium is 420, and it’s now at 380. Even Fresh salt water is only going to add 4% nutrients so we go up to 388. Which is why I have to dose daily and usually not water changes. But they do handle exports really well though. Another key thing item I learned is some corals will explode with color and growth if saturated with trace elements. The down fall is the little critters inside can’t supply the zooxanthel Properly and they die. Which is interesting point; since I always thought water changes replenished trace elements,
Which’ in reality it does very little and on larger tanks needs to be added in. But I have not finished all the videos yet or Info on how to keep sps long term when parameters are good. There are some interesting discussions going on. I’m definitely eager to try some and I think it’s time to finally order the phosphate and nitrate digital Hannah checkers. When I use my api, I always seem to be hovering around the .25 mark but not by much. Which means lol I’m way high, which seems to also give me gha and now I know my corals are lacking a vital supplement.
[/QUOTE]

water plays a huge importance in all aspects

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Goodness I went to write a post and kept adding and adding, then realized I didn’t hit the post reply button. Now reading it again, I think I have even confused Myself, which I’m gonna re write it. I can say that raise my mag has slowed the gha down, but not totally. I’m only seeing one coral that’s having issues with this. I need to post pics and maybe ask, cause I’ll admit I’m lost.

They have a new person from the lfs doing the maintenance on my tank, and I’m trying to teach him what to look for. But on a high note I walked 40 feet with out my walker.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Goodness I went to write a post and kept adding and adding, then realized I didn’t hit the post reply button. Now reading it again, I think I have even confused Myself, which I’m gonna re write it. I can say that raise my mag has slowed the gha down, but not totally. I’m only seeing one coral that’s having issues with this. I need to post pics and maybe ask, cause I’ll admit I’m lost.

They have a new person from the lfs doing the maintenance on my tank, and I’m trying to teach him what to look for. But on a high note I walked 40 feet with out my walker.
40 feet is progress! Next thing you know you will be training for a 5k!

Does the LFS pay you for training their employees for them? ;Shifty

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 feet is progress! Next thing you know you will be training for a 5k!

Does the LFS pay you for training their employees for them? ;Shifty

40’! Good work. And yes they should be sending you interns free of charge. LOL. Sarah’s Reef training school for LFS employees.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sarah,

Just checking in to see how you are progressing. It sure looks like you are healing up well and it is awesome to hear you are able to walk a little bit again. Just hang in there and keep getting better.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Great to hear on your progress. 40 feet doesn't sound like a lot but probably seems like a mile after what you've been through. Now go for 60 !!! Your determination says- " IT WILL HAPPEN " !!

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So today I was not able to per say walk much but was able to stand on my own, and actually attend a work in service. It was nice to see friends again. Oh look ma I can dress myself again, lol on my own. My right leg is healing and one can now see the sections they had to screw and rebuild. But hopefully in 1-2 years the scars should fade.

A1BACD2F-686D-4519-8666-0ACD1211ADBF.jpeg 27F849BB-9B07-4CD7-A6EC-13DBED4E3A1A.jpeg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

So today I was not able to per say walk much but was able to stand on my own, and actually attend a work in service. It was nice to see friends again. Oh look ma I can dress myself again, lol on my own. My right leg is healing and one can now see the sections they had to screw and rebuild. But hopefully in 1-2 years the scars should fade.

A1BACD2F-686D-4519-8666-0ACD1211ADBF.jpeg 27F849BB-9B07-4CD7-A6EC-13DBED4E3A1A.jpeg
Great to see you both smiling and standing on your own ! And your outfit, miss Snazzy !!! Anyone agree on nice outfit??

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So have you come up with a good story on how you got the scars? Surfboarding in Australia when you were attacked by a shark? Pearl diving in the Red Sea when a moray eel latched onto your leg? Free climbing in the Grand Tetons when attacked by a mountain lion?

Car accident doesn't have enough flair to do those fantastic scars justice.

Last edited:

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You certainly look like you are healing up well. Looks like they did a pretty good job putting you back together. How is your pain level nowadays? Can you use both hands now? Hopefully, that is improving as well. Keep up the good work and don't be shy to keep us posted or just visit to help pass the time.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 39 59.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back