Urgh seriously.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

Wow holy posts lol, I would have responded but some reason my alerts didn’t ahhh register. Yes lol I can’t drink because I’m allergic, and to this day I have no idea why but I kinda implode. Now I’m definitely addicted to milk lol. Not to mention (sheepishly), never had a Shirley temple and no idea what it is actually).

To those new to my thread yay glad you are here. Hope to heck I don’t ummm bore you to death and well my thread just about covers most things in life lol. So feel free to vent when ever needed :) I’d say each one but there was so many this time. Lol in short I’m Sarah, and this is about my tank and god knows everything else lol. I’m quiet, shy, and part terminator (beware), but I’m not an assassin lol or what ever those things are.

Some new things lol I slipped and fell down my stairs hurting my broken knee, that was super painful, and they had to do xrays to see any new damage, and I don’t know yet. But I have to use the walker full time and can barely bend it. In terms how it feels, I don’t think I broke anything again (that’s good), but being safe. I always use my leg brace so that probably saved me, but wow hurts.

Now lol I have had a gha problem that’s driving me nuts. My nitrates and phosphates literally do not show up. Which since there is gha, it’s giving my false readings and I’m still dosing the 30ml nopox to bring it down. I do feed extra, and some reef roids to not starve the coral. Now I wanted to get rid of the gha and soo I bought a hand full of snot. Aka sea hare. I had to actually have the lfs guy put it in. Now I have had some awful feeling things that most cringe. But as soon as I touched i almost threw up, and it gave me the heebee jeebees. I’m also adding a colored urchin as well. I was told once the gha is gone, when you see the sea hare on a rock, just grab it and bring it back since they will starve and if they die they crash the tank. So for those who have had or have a sea hare, some good info would help since the lfs really didn’t provide me with an answer. Here shortly will add the colored short spine urchin. I’m hoping that these will knock the alage down, and I need to really boost my cuc.

Another item is they order me another Naso tang, it’s kinda medium to small, so worried my stupid clown fish will mess with it. My purple tang is a scaredy cat and my other two tangs (hippo, and tommini are super gentle.) so we shall see, but I’m also enticed about getting the cheveron tang. It would add nice color, don’t think I’d have issues. But they have super expensive (190), but he is an adult and about 4-5 inches. So pretty large size. Any suggestions.
My chevron was $249. Naso should do well at introduction .
Sea hare, after mine cleaned up algae, I fed it Nori seaweed and then loaned it out to two people to rid of their algae. They hide during day in weirdest spots. They do not pollute or ink as many say. Dollabella is the best eater IMO but they generally don't deal with GHA
Oh no on stair mishap. Glad it was not worse. Careful Missy. . . This is a new Year and is to be " your Good Year " !!!

Last edited:

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Wow holy posts lol, I would have responded but some reason my alerts didn’t ahhh register. Yes lol I can’t drink because I’m allergic, and to this day I have no idea why but I kinda implode. Now I’m definitely addicted to milk lol. Not to mention (sheepishly), never had a Shirley temple and no idea what it is actually).

To those new to my thread yay glad you are here. Hope to heck I don’t ummm bore you to death and well my thread just about covers most things in life lol. So feel free to vent when ever needed :) I’d say each one but there was so many this time. Lol in short I’m Sarah, and this is about my tank and god knows everything else lol. I’m quiet, shy, and part terminator (beware), but I’m not an assassin lol or what ever those things are.

Some new things lol I slipped and fell down my stairs hurting my broken knee, that was super painful, and they had to do xrays to see any new damage, and I don’t know yet. But I have to use the walker full time and can barely bend it. In terms how it feels, I don’t think I broke anything again (that’s good), but being safe. I always use my leg brace so that probably saved me, but wow hurts.

Now lol I have had a gha problem that’s driving me nuts. My nitrates and phosphates literally do not show up. Which since there is gha, it’s giving my false readings and I’m still dosing the 30ml nopox to bring it down. I do feed extra, and some reef roids to not starve the coral. Now I wanted to get rid of the gha and soo I bought a hand full of snot. Aka sea hare. I had to actually have the lfs guy put it in. Now I have had some awful feeling things that most cringe. But as soon as I touched i almost threw up, and it gave me the heebee jeebees. I’m also adding a colored urchin as well. I was told once the gha is gone, when you see the sea hare on a rock, just grab it and bring it back since they will starve and if they die they crash the tank. So for those who have had or have a sea hare, some good info would help since the lfs really didn’t provide me with an answer. Here shortly will add the colored short spine urchin. I’m hoping that these will knock the alage down, and I need to really boost my cuc.

Another item is they order me another Naso tang, it’s kinda medium to small, so worried my stupid clown fish will mess with it. My purple tang is a scaredy cat and my other two tangs (hippo, and tommini are super gentle.) so we shall see, but I’m also enticed about getting the cheveron tang. It would add nice color, don’t think I’d have issues. But they have super expensive (190), but he is an adult and about 4-5 inches. So pretty large size. Any suggestions.
I love the chevrons. Beautiful fish.. but if your looking for a tang with personality, I've had 2 vlamingi tangs over the years(2 different tanks) and every one was always a very personable and friendly fish. The one I have now is named Frank, why? I have no idea my wife says he looks like a Frank, so frank it is... he isnt a crazy swimmer, he tends to hangout at the glass all day and watches us, he eats from my hand and will rub up against my arm when I'm working in the tank. And when he sees someone new come up to the tank he turns black and hides in the rocks. It's hilarious. But when my daughter is at the tank poking the glass and pointing at all the fish hes always right in her face blocking her view. Lol.

20190302_142407.jpg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I currently have 2 vlamingi in my largest tank.... one 7” and the other at 14”. Same behavior- watches every movement and follows me along tank. Eats Nori out of my hand. My Chevron stands out in terms of color but a hard color choice against my Potters angel

7E4E073E-FD7F-442F-A059-F5D1531CE2A0.jpeg
9815E73E-0DBF-4AD5-9CD3-3D96669BACD4.jpeg

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chevron was $249. Naso should do well at into.
Sea hare, after mine cleaned up algae, I fed it Nori seaweed and then loaned it out to two people to rid of their algae. They hide during day in weirdest spots. They do not pollute or ink as many say. Dollabella is the best eater IMO but they generally don't deal with GHA
Oh no on stair mishap. Glad it was not worse. Careful Missy. . . This is a new Year and is to be " your Good Year " !!!

Hello,

I think that’s what they said would go crazy with gha. They are kind of a brown snot looking critter lol. I was told they will have it cleaned in about two weeks or sooner and a colored urchin or pincushion urchin love gha and all kinda of alage. We had the sea hare placed in the worst spot of the gha, so time will tell.
I am worried and nervous that if it does or inks it Nukes my tank. I am running 4 bags of carbon while he is in there as a pre caution, but there isn’t much about them online. I do have lots of nori I can place at its location, just in case. But I was trying to do this naturally, tested water yesterday and both nitrates and phosphates showed undetectable but it’s a false test. If it was accurate I wouldn’t have gha. We used the api, and the Red Sea which both said the same thing. Red Sea showed actual numbers, but again the gha is consuming it. Since I’m still dosing, I’m curious as to why the gha has not starved to death. It started growing around some of my corals so that was the final straw.

The tangs are always pretty they are my favorite type of fish. I still want to get the gorgeous Long nose black tang, but I have a purple tang now so probably not ideal. Always loved the powder brown and powder blue, but I can’t risk them getting ick or anything and wiping my tank. A white cheek tang would be neat and Achilles id love. I have three tangs in my tank now, hippo, purple tang, tommini, then five small blue green chromies, Bellus angel female, and stupid clown. Not sure how many more I can fit in my 240. I keep getting such varied responses it makes it hard. Some say I can do 1 more tang and I’m maxed out. Others say I can do a lot higher. They also tell me tangs eat alage lol, well mine won’t even eat the nori sheets I stick in. Super strange.

Yeah ahh me falling on the stairs. I had right leg up, on step (going down), and as I moved my left my socks slipped and my left foot went off the stair and I tumbled. But luckily op was there and she helped me back up lol. Supper embarrassing.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

I think that’s what they said would go crazy with gha. They are kind of a brown snot looking critter lol. I was told they will have it cleaned in about two weeks or sooner and a colored urchin or pincushion urchin love gha and all kinda of alage. We had the sea hare placed in the worst spot of the gha, so time will tell.
I am worried and nervous that if it does or inks it Nukes my tank. I am running 4 bags of carbon while he is in there as a pre caution, but there isn’t much about them online. I do have lots of nori I can place at its location, just in case. But I was trying to do this naturally, tested water yesterday and both nitrates and phosphates showed undetectable but it’s a false test. If it was accurate I wouldn’t have gha. We used the api, and the Red Sea which both said the same thing. Red Sea showed actual numbers, but again the gha is consuming it. Since I’m still dosing, I’m curious as to why the gha has not starved to death. It started growing around some of my corals so that was the final straw.

The tangs are always pretty they are my favorite type of fish. I still want to get the gorgeous Long nose black tang, but I have a purple tang now so probably not ideal. Always loved the powder brown and powder blue, but I can’t risk them getting ick or anything and wiping my tank. A white cheek tang would be neat and Achilles id love. I have three tangs in my tank now, hippo, purple tang, tommini, then five small blue green chromies, Bellus angel female, and stupid clown. Not sure how many more I can fit in my 240. I keep getting such varied responses it makes it hard. Some say I can do 1 more tang and I’m maxed out. Others say I can do a lot higher. They also tell me tangs eat alage lol, well mine won’t even eat the nori sheets I stick in. Super strange.

Yeah ahh me falling on the stairs. I had right leg up, on step (going down), and as I moved my left my socks slipped and my left foot went off the stair and I tumbled. But luckily op was there and she helped me back up lol. Supper embarrassing.
Thank goodness on result of fall.
On Gha, I would have tank maintenance people pull as much as possible by hand and allow urchin to shave the rest.
As fo sea hare.... had one die - no ink
Had another and didn’t realize i had a mantis shrimp as a hitchhiker and he dragged it inside a rock and ate it - again no ink. Not saying it won’t happen, but quite rare

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank goodness on result of fall.
On Gha, I would have tank maintenance people pull as much as possible by hand and allow urchin to shave the rest.
As fo sea hare.... had one die - no ink
Had another and didn’t realize i had a mantis shrimp as a hitchhiker and he dragged it inside a rock and ate it - again no ink. Not saying it won’t happen, but quite rare

Hello,

I have started with the sea hare and will also get the pin cushion urchin. They have picked some of it off, but not sure how effective it was. The next task is soaking wave makers and getting rid of aptasia. Starting to get way too many for my liking. Ever since I moved they kinda just went crazy.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

I have started with the sea hare and will also get the pin cushion urchin. They have picked some of it off, but not sure how effective it was. The next task is soaking wave makers and getting rid of aptasia. Starting to get way too many for my liking. Ever since I moved they kinda just went crazy.
On the aptasia, I assure you, the answer is a kleini butterfly . They’re pretty, friendly, eat aptasia like candy and don’t bother coral. Best of all is that they eat All foods both frozen and dry
1580282134973.jpeg

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having a slight GHA and dino problem recently. I raised my nutrients and bought a few turbo snails. I already had some blue leg hermits and some emerald crabs but they weren’t doing their job very well. Added a few turbos and within a week all the GHA was gone and they made a dent on the dinos. Another week and they had everything crystal clean
And if you want a powder brown, get one! They aren’t prone to ich like the powder blue is. They can still get it (any fish can) but not like the blue can.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was having a slight GHA and dino problem recently. I raised my nutrients and bought a few turbo snails. I already had some blue leg hermits and some emerald crabs but they weren’t doing their job very well. Added a few turbos and within a week all the GHA was gone and they made a dent on the dinos. Another week and they had everything crystal clean
And if you want a powder brown, get one! They aren’t prone to ich like the powder blue is. They can still get it (any fish can) but not like the blue can.
Wierd is, I have zero issues with my powder blue and ich. Never had that issue with any powder blues

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wierd is, I have zero issues with my powder blue and ich. Never had that issue with any powder blues
Do you QT? if you have a good QT practice, feed good food, and keep em happy then you probably won't have an issue. All tangs are prone to ich, but that's what a good QT practice is for, eliminate it before it even gets in your tank

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sarah, if you are going to be falling down stairs like you are drunk anyway you may want to look into allergy meds so you can actually drink. No reason to have all the pain and none of the enjoyment! ;) :p

If you got a Dolabella sea hare then it doesn't have a toxic ink like some of its relatives. Not a bad idea to run carbon while clearing an algae for other reasons, but ink shouldn't be an issue.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do you QT? if you have a good QT practice, feed good food, and keep em happy then you probably won't have an issue. All tangs are prone to ich, but that's what a good QT practice is for, eliminate it before it even gets in your tank
I do and at least two hours. Introduction is as important as acclimation.

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I too have a vlamingi and it acts just like a dog. Always in my face when I'm looking at everything, follows me to every part of the tank, nearly swims right into my hand for me to hold it. My purple is the same way, not as loving yet as it hasn't been in the tank as long as the vlamingi has\

*EDIT* In fact, all of my tangs are pretty personable. Some more than others obviously. I have a vlamingi, yellow tang, powder brown, scopas, and a purple (introduced in that order). In order of most personable it goes vlamingi, purple, powder brown, scopas and yellow

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sarah, if you are going to be falling down stairs like you are drunk anyway you may want to look into allergy meds so you can actually drink. No reason to have all the pain and none of the enjoyment! ;) :p

If you got a Dolabella sea hare then it doesn't have a toxic ink like some of its relatives. Not a bad idea to run carbon while clearing an algae for other reasons, but ink shouldn't be an issue.

Hello,

I’m sooo lost about the sea hare. Either I’m super blind or he died overnight. I have searched all over for that little ball of snot and I can’t find him. So they come out at night or day, since I wasn’t home, today I didn’t see brights on. But even with blues on High I couldn’t find him any where. Hoping he didn’t die and Nukes my tank. I can’t get him out if I can’t find him.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

I’m sooo lost about the sea hare. Either I’m super blind or he died overnight. I have searched all over for that little ball of snot and I can’t find him. So they come out at night or day, since I wasn’t home, today I didn’t see brights on. But even with blues on High I couldn’t find him any where. Hoping he didn’t die and Nukes my tank. I can’t get him out if I can’t find him.
They do that. As mentioned, they hide in the darndest places, even upside down and even at times they’re right in front of you.
They take rest breaks and move during day and night. I generally found them at the top of tank sling the edge when they rest

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I doubt he could nuke your tank. It isn't uncommon for new critters to hide for a few days when first introduced, even blobs of snot. Your tank isn't small. Give it a few days and even if you don't see him, look for signs that he is eating algae. That will likely be your first indication.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Well @Brew12 your right, he was on my front glass this morning so that’s a good. Not sure if I need to turn flow down or just leave it. I left the wave makers off last night and he came out. There is not much on them despite me looking lol

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Well @Brew12 your right, he was on my front glass this morning so that’s a good. Not sure if I need to turn flow down or just leave it. I left the wave makers off last night and he came out. There is not much on them despite me looking lol
Leave your flow how you like to keep it, he will be just fine.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%

Back