Uronema Marinum

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What good is a story without a picture. Yes, it's as gnarly as it looks.

20190506_193156.jpg
That’s not good. A little neosporin won’t hurt on top of meds given

aquadog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to keep your hands out of the water and wear rubber gloves with sleeves. Thanks for sharing! Important stuff to be aware of.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not good. A little neosporin won’t hurt on top of meds given

The neosporin actually makes it worse I think. So far I have found keeping it open is causing the scabs to form. With the neosporin it just kept everything more open and more infected looking. Here it is today. The center is starting to heal from the biopsy. The outside of the wound seems to be getting lighter.

20190509_065017.jpg

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The neosporin actually makes it worse I think. So far I have found keeping it open is causing the scabs to form. With the neosporin it just kept everything more open and more infected looking. Here it is today. The center is starting to heal from the biopsy. The outside of the wound seems to be getting lighter.

20190509_065017.jpg

Remember many bacteria love warm dark moist places so when we smear ointment and bandage we give them what they want so keeping it open to the air is good. If you are going to be out and about a light airy covering is warranted to keep the rest of the worlds nasties from entering. Remember the skin is our best defense against the cruelty of the world and yours is breeched. Interested to hear the results. They should have been able to do a stain of the tissue already and may have some preliminary results before the culture comes back.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thing that worries me is vibrio.

A friend of mine contracted vibrio from a client tank and ended up in the hospital for two weeks, nearly losing his arm. He said it was extremely painful. Yours looks pretty nasty and I hope it's not vibrio. I'm a doctor, but not that kind of doctor so I won't provide an opinion here. :0)

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine contracted vibrio from a client tank and ended up in the hospital for two weeks, nearly losing his arm. He said it was extremely painful. Yours looks pretty nasty and I hope it's not vibrio. I'm a doctor, but not that kind of doctor so I won't provide an opinion here. :0)

I know vibrio would spread faster and cause other symptoms. As nasty as it looks it doesnt hurt one bit.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These are Must haves !!

gloves.jpg

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Amen. Ordered 2 pairs. Also have a good excuse to get the trident. Help keep my hands out of the tank more so I am not scooping up test water. Didnt go over to well with the wife last night telling here about my ideas of ozone and totally hands free aquarium, lol.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did indeed have M. marinum. I got it from work. I got bite by an eel and it wasn't too bad and seemed to heal up and then a couple weeks later it caused a lump. HEre is the thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/eel-bites.388629/ Long story short is that you NEED to go see an Infectious Disease doctor. Straight up regular doctors aren't good at diagnosing rare diseases, the biopsy doesn't mean too much as M. marinum is hard to culture and very slow growing. They make the diagnosis a lot of times without a positive culture. Good thing that you ordered the gloves. You really want to keep that hand out of the water at least til it heals, which may be a really long time. They are probably going to want to operate on it and cut out any infection. The antibiotics totally suck and you will be on them for a long time. For me it was 2 months after the site healed. All in all it was probably about 9 months taking pills twice a day.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did indeed have M. marinum. I got it from work. I got bite by an eel and it wasn't too bad and seemed to heal up and then a couple weeks later it caused a lump. HEre is the thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/eel-bites.388629/ Long story short is that you NEED to go see an Infectious Disease doctor. Straight up regular doctors aren't good at diagnosing rare diseases, the biopsy doesn't mean too much as M. marinum is hard to culture and very slow growing. They make the diagnosis a lot of times without a positive culture. Good thing that you ordered the gloves. You really want to keep that hand out of the water at least til it heals, which may be a really long time. They are probably going to want to operate on it and cut out any infection. The antibiotics totally suck and you will be on them for a long time. For me it was 2 months after the site healed. All in all it was probably about 9 months taking pills twice a day.

How long did they try antibiotics before they said you need surgery?

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of coworkers had it also, went to doctors, had surgery to remove it & also took antibiotics for it. It took a long time to heal. Didn’t help that we worked in the business.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of coworkers had it also, went to doctors, had surgery to remove it & also took antibiotics for it. It took a long time to heal. Didn’t help that we worked in the business.
I feel you there. The doctors told me not to even walk into the reef store for the first couple weeks and then after that it was basically whatever you do, do not put your hand in a fish tank. I'm like my job is sticking my hands in fish tanks all day.

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you there. The doctors told me not to even walk into the reef store for the first couple weeks and then after that it was basically whatever you do, do not put your hand in a fish tank. I'm like my job is sticking my hands in fish tanks all day.
He didn’t have his tanks for a little while, then it was business as usual. He had it on more than one of his fingers

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amen. Ordered 2 pairs. Also have a good excuse to get the trident. Help keep my hands out of the tank more so I am not scooping up test water. Didnt go over to well with the wife last night telling here about my ideas of ozone and totally hands free aquarium, lol.

Haha!! My trident is on the way

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck, I hope they get it corrected for you soon cause we all know it’s hard to keep our hands out of our tanks

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ditto. +1

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like my doctor isn't as knife happy. Even without the firm diagnosis we have a treatment plan.

Doxycycline
ciprofloxacin - will add at week 4 if no change.
Ethambutol - will add at week 8 if no change

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back