Used aquarium for sump

Spydersweb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
Recently I bought a used 29 gallon that I’m planning on using as a sump from a guy on an aquarium forum. He said that no chemicals had been used in it, and the prior use was to cure live rock. I have no reason not to believe him, but as this is my first foray into saltwater aquariums, I’m a bit nervous. Is there a way to test it to make sure it’s safe? It was a little dusty and dirty, but didn’t smell like anything. I rinsed it out, and used a little rubbing alcohol, and it looks like new. I was thinking of it as a quarantine tank for new fish in my FW aquarium to test it. Would that be sufficient to test it? Am I just kind of worrying for nothin? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full it with tap water and monitor for a leak. If no leak, add some bleach to the water and let it sit overnight and then clean it up. Drain and rinse thoroughly with tap water and then let it completely dry out for a little while. You can also do the dang new thing with vinegar, but it will take more than if you used bleach...i bet thou could bet away with only a cup of bleach to completely clean anything bad out of the tank.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hello all,
Recently I bought a used 29 gallon that I’m planning on using as a sump from a guy on an aquarium forum. He said that no chemicals had been used in it, and the prior use was to cure live rock. I have no reason not to believe him, but as this is my first foray into saltwater aquariums, I’m a bit nervous. Is there a way to test it to make sure it’s safe? It was a little dusty and dirty, but didn’t smell like anything. I rinsed it out, and used a little rubbing alcohol, and it looks like new. I was thinking of it as a quarantine tank for new fish in my FW aquarium to test it. Would that be sufficient to test it? Am I just kind of worrying for nothin? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
If it were me, and I have bought used tanks in the past, I would do as I have done and this is wipe it down with straight vinegar, rinse it with tap water and call it good.

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd on the vinegar. just straight vinegar in a squirt bottle spray it all over until you cant see through the glass let it sit wipe it down. do it again let it sit 10 mins. Spray it again wipe it. Rinse it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back