Used lighting

mook1178

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first set of lights will most likely be used lights for my 75 gal DT.

Is there anything in particular you had wished you looked for when buying used lights? Age? Certain product generations to avoid? Any tips would be great. Thank you

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is there anything in particular you had wished you looked for when buying used lights? Age? Certain product generations to avoid? Any tips would be great. Thank you
What is your budget

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don't make the mistake of thinking that LED lighting lasts forever.

A typical lumen maintenance curve for LED lighting indicates that over about 5 years (8 hours per day) light output falls to approximately 80% of that when new.

Different wavelength LED's will have slightly different curves, meaning that the overall spectrum of a particular luminaire will shift over the same period.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pay pennies on the dollar for LEDs that are used... like not much at all. Any Radion from Gen 3 and up are fine, but you just don't know when they are going to quit. The same with AI, ReefBreeders, Kessil, etc. You can check the brand and model for longevity issues. Lastly, don't trust anybody that you do not know about how long they have run their lights... the listing for these are always how a car only has highway miles.

If you buy used T5 or MH stuff, the equipment usually lasts for quite a while. Even if they do fail, most of them are repairable. Just avoid cheap Chinese stuff like Odyssea. I have 10+ year old MH and T5 equipment that works as well as new.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 69 77.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

Back