Used Neptune Apex Gold

GalaxyBenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all -

I’m pretty new to the hobby but have a question about a used Neptune Apex that was offered to me (for $$ obviously) from a guy getting out of the hobby. I understand the basic premise of a controller but could not begin to put a value on a used system. Or to have the knowledge to know if it’s now old enough that it would be stupid to spend any money on it. So that’s where I’m looking for some advice.

It is a Neptune Apex, the box says “Apex Gold System” and has the part number “APEXSYSG”

C94152B3-F407-4567-91B5-24C4B4FAFCDB.jpeg

As you can see it definitely has an older looking controller than what I see if I look at the brand new Apex systems. I think maybe people call this the “classic,” but I’m sure you guys know better.

Anyway the guy said it has all the stuff that originally came with it, but that I should get a new pH probe.

My questions for you guys ;
1) Is this worth considering, if so what sort of price range would you offer?
2) Are there other sensors I would need to replace?
3) What made this a “gold” system versus a standard Apex?
4) Are there ways to test the system to make sure it’s working?

Any advice you can provide would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!
David

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex Gold was a combination package introduced in 2014 that included the Apex Classic, EB8 EnergyBar, but added lab-grade pH, ORP, and salinity probes plus PM2 module to connect the salinity probe.

Many people still use the Apex Classic today, but it does have limitations when compared to the current Apex models. The primary limitations include lack of full feature compatibility through the Fusion app and website, meaning you'll need to log into the Apex Classic dashboard (a clunky 1990's era web interface) to perform many functions such as naming your probes, performing software updates, creating virtual outputs, setting the clock, etc.) as opposed to having all of those features readily available on the app or the modern Fusion website.

The second limitation you will face is that the Apex Classic does not support Neptune's newest add-on modules, such as the Trident (automated Alk/Cal/Mag testing unit), the EB832 EnergyBar, and the SKY lighting system (unless you run it separately in Bluetooth mode). The Apex Classic also lacks any built-in WiFi option, so you'll need to run a network cable to the Apex in order to connect it to the network, or purchase a separate 3rd-party WiFi adapter.

If you just want to get into the Apex controller without spending too much, it's still totally worth it. Just set your expectations and know you're buying a discontinued model that will have some limitations compared to the current models.

See my Apex Hardware Overview article for a complete list of add-on modules for the Apex:

And if you want to get a feel for what Apex programming is like, see my whole series of Apex tutorials here:

Here's the list of Apex features available through Fusion for the new and old models:
Fusion Features.png

Last edited:

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the classified section to get a approxmiate price, yes the Gold is considered a 'classic' apex. If its coming with the EB8, working display, controller itself and the pm2, I'd start haggling at about 250-275 bucks and go from there. The big difference between the Gold and regular classic was the Gold model came with a PM2 (salinity) setup.

Probe replacement is advised if the PH and ORP probes are dried out. I wouldnt worry about the temp or salinity probes. just make sure they are included.

Easy way to test is to connect controller power via 12v power supply or aquabus through the eb8, then log into the unit via cat5/router.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake of buying an obsolete apex a few years ago, NIB but could never get it working even with Neptunes help. Fortunately I was able to return it

id make 100% sure you can get it operational before purchase (otherwise you might be buying a nice paperweight)

OP
OP
GalaxyBenny

GalaxyBenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing guys, thanks so much for these super fast and very helpful replies. I think the guy was thinking around $200, so it sounds like that would be a very fair price if everything is still working well (and of course the probes are still there etc). I will definitely read more from the links you sent and then go from there.

I feel like it’s maybe a bit overkill for my first tank (40 gallons), but if it’s a stunning deal then perhaps strike while the iron is hot.

Again, I can’t thank you enough. Cheers!

jbozarth78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing guys, thanks so much for these super fast and very helpful replies. I think the guy was thinking around $200, so it sounds like that would be a very fair price if everything is still working well (and of course the probes are still there etc). I will definitely read more from the links you sent and then go from there.

I feel like it’s maybe a bit overkill for my first tank (40 gallons), but if it’s a stunning deal then perhaps strike while the iron is hot.

I would agree. I think it would be overkill for your tank size. Others may disagree. I can't see paying that much for the new model on mine, but only have a 60 gallon with sump.

I have also heard that they need to be tinkered with alot to keep them going. Again, I don't have any personal experience with Apex, but have asked a lot of questions and researched online. The consensus is that Apex users are always having to mess with them to keep them going. I would like to hear from solid user to see what they think.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It depends on what all you want it to do. I have a 42 gallon tank and have had a controller since day one. I have my storage tank in my garage 35ft from the tank. My ATO,AWC and dosing pumps are in the garage with the storage tanks. Tubing between the garage and the tank are run up through the attic and down the wall to a wall plate. My RODI is also in the garage. I control auto refill of my DI storage tank, Transfer from the mix tank to the fresh salt water storage tank if the mix tank is ready for use and then the auto refill of DI to the mix tank. All I have to do is add the salt mix and press a button when it is ready.

There is nothing wrong with using a older controller. There are a lot of them around. Just be aware of what you are getting. Make sure it powers up and everything is functional.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree. I think it would be overkill for your tank size. Others may disagree. I can't see paying that much for the new model on mine, but only have a 60 gallon with sump.

I have also heard that they need to be tinkered with alot to keep them going. Again, I don't have any personal experience with Apex, but have asked a lot of questions and researched online. The consensus is that Apex users are always having to mess with them to keep them going. I would like to hear from solid user to see what they think.
I've been using Apex classics (gold) since 2017, currently have 2 in service, in two different locations. Fairly trouble free. I use one for auto water changes, ATO and my filter roller and the other for just ATO & filter roller control. Most hassle is clean the probes every few months. Works rock solid for me. I see a lot more posts about the Apex 2016 model woes (wifi issues, eb832's failing, lack of programming knowledge, etc...)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back