Using a canister filter to vacuum my tank

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’m thinking about using a canister filter as a way of cleaning up detritus in my tank but not having to also do a water change. Basically I’d like to use the canister filter as a mechanical filter to suck up stuff and return the filtered water back to the tank. This would be something I could do between water changes or as a way of cleaning out my sump as well.
Would this work? Has anyone done this before?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will still return a large amount of cloud to the tank

choose dedicated diatom filter for this job, controlled pass through

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I’ve done this with great success for thirty some years. You can also attach a hose to the return so you can blow the rocks off.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried it yet but I was thinking of doing the same thing. The youtube video below gave me the idea.

Thanks for this. I might give this route a try if it’s cheaper. I already have some python pieces and a small pump. I’ll keep you posted

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I’ve done this with great success for thirty some years. You can also attach a hose to the return so you can blow the rocks off.
Thanks @Fourstars thats what I was thinking. It would be nice to be able to clean the sand, rocks, etc without worrying about if I’m taking too much water out of the tank.

dblhelix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It did it for years as well....worked very well. It was actually a canister filter that hung on the tank. I don't think they make them any longer but it was powerful. Used a cylinder paper filter like they sell at WMart for cheap swimming pools. I cleaned it and used it again and again.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It did it for years as well....worked very well. It was actually a canister filter that hung on the tank. I don't think they make them any longer but it was powerful. Used a cylinder paper filter like they sell at WMart for cheap swimming pools. I cleaned it and used it again and again.
Thanks @dblhelix I’m either going to use a RO/Reactor canister and pump combo — but I’ll end up using a 1 micron filter if I can’t find anything larger — or a canister filter filled with fleece. The canister/pump combo is probably cheaper but the canister is just simple.

Back