OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens if you plug the Apex into a gfci? You are only isolating the heaters the way you have it.
I believe that is his goal. A failed heater won't take out his entire system.

Charterreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased these two GFCIs and plugged them into my Apex, then plugged an Eheim Jager 250 watt heater into each of them. I've only had them in for a day and already they've tripped 2 or 3 times. Could the heaters be faulty?
I don't know if this is relevant- just my two cents but if you somehow managed to have two gcfis on the same circuit they can trip easily. I say this because a power washer ( which has a built in gfci) will trip if plugged into an already protected gfci circuit.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how you have your system is hooked up. Any chance you can run the heaters off of outlets 4 and 8? The triacs that gate on 1-3, and 4-7 could be causing the problem with the GFCI device. I doubt both heaters are bad, especially if they aren't tripping every time they cycle on.
Another way to verify this would be to plug the GFCI units into a regular outlet and let the heaters turn on. You could even do this in a bucket of fresh or old tank water if you put a ground probe in the bucket. If they don't trip the GFCI in a bucket of salt water with a ground probe in it, the heater isn't bad.
Oh I guess I rebooted my Apex about 3 times in the last 48 hours. That must be what tripped the GFCIs.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how you have your system is hooked up. Any chance you can run the heaters off of outlets 4 and 8? The triacs that gate on 1-3, and 4-7 could be causing the problem with the GFCI device. I doubt both heaters are bad, especially if they aren't tripping every time they cycle on.
Another way to verify this would be to plug the GFCI units into a regular outlet and let the heaters turn on. You could even do this in a bucket of fresh or old tank water if you put a ground probe in the bucket. If they don't trip the GFCI in a bucket of salt water with a ground probe in it, the heater isn't bad.
The GFCIs on the heaters tripped again with out the EB8 losing power. I'll try putting them on outlets 4 and 8.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The GFCIs on the heaters tripped again with out the EB8 losing power. I'll try putting them on outlets 4 and 8.
When you unplug them, do they trip?

The listing on Amazon doesn't say they trip on loss of power, but some GFCI's do. Normally they are pretty clear on that.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The listing on Amazon doesn't say they trip on loss of power, but some GFCI's do. Normally they are pretty clear on that.
When I unplug them they trip. Also when power from channel goes off they trip too. Do you know if the listing says if they do stay untripped on loss of power?

I got these things through Amazon and it's nearly impossible to return things to Amazon.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was doing a search on GFCI's and a listing said it was Automatic Reset, is this what I want?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing a search on GFCI's and a listing said it was Automatic Reset, is this what I want?
GFCI's that trip on a loss of power are pretty uncommon at this point. But yes, Automatic Reset is an older term used back when GFCI's needed power to stay latched "on".

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Merlin79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to buy gfci adapters (can't change the sockets)

I will be plugging my powerbar into the gfci and my heater, filter, and pump will be running on this( not my lights)

If I use a grounding probe can it be plugged into the powerbar?

Any recommendations on good adapters?

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex power bar, the EB8, has a resettable fuse. Is this any protection of equipment? What about equipment I don't have plugged into my Apex, should that be protected by GFCI's? If all equipment can't be protected which is the most important ones to protect besides the most expensive, I'm guessing the ones that use the most wattage?

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My breaker is not tripping as expected, please advice.

Picture Included:

upload_2017-9-13_13-51-43.png

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies for the late response... I missed the notifications on this thread.
I need to buy gfci adapters (can't change the sockets)

I will be plugging my powerbar into the gfci and my heater, filter, and pump will be running on this( not my lights)

If I use a grounding probe can it be plugged into the powerbar?

Any recommendations on good adapters?

I think this one works well at a reasonable price.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-Plug-In-GFCI-Adapter-3-Wire-Grounding-30339036/203741464

Yes, you can plug your grounding probe into the powerbar.

The Apex power bar, the EB8, has a resettable fuse. Is this any protection of equipment? What about equipment I don't have plugged into my Apex, should that be protected by GFCI's? If all equipment can't be protected which is the most important ones to protect besides the most expensive, I'm guessing the ones that use the most wattage?

Fuses such as in the EB8 are for overcurrent protection. GFCI's are to prevent electrical shock. Typically you would want to have overcurrent protection on your larger devices and GFCI's on any electrical devices in your tank or likely to get wet.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My breaker is not tripping as expected, please advice.

Picture Included:

upload_2017-9-13_13-51-43.png
Since you are doing differential protection trip checks it is likely the problem is in the relay and not the breaker.

One common issue is that the differential restraint current may be set too low to allow a trip during a standard test. Depending on settings you may need to be at or near fault level currents to generate a differential trip.

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My tank is making a funny sound.

Last edited:

spidercrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is the consensus here? Is GFCI + ground plug something that should be required to have a reef tank? There are probably 1 million+ reef tanks in the US alone has there been any reported cases of electrocution(to death) or any or major electrocutions links plz? The reason I ask is because I am entirely ill informed about electricity but I do have several reef tanks and have had leaking current several times from cheap chinese pumps where I could feel a tiny and i mean tiny buzz. Does it matter what size gear we have in the tank? I have a 5 watt return pump and a 50w heater and thats it inside the tank. Does it matter if we are wearing rubber shoes, rubber gloves and standing on a wood floor vs barefoot on a solid metal copper floor? I think all of these variables maybe should be taken into consideration.

Last edited:

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is the consensus here? Is GFCI + ground plug something that should be required to have a reef tank? There are probably 1 million+ reef tanks in the US alone has there been any reported cases of electrocution(to death) or any or major electrocutions links plz? The reason I ask is because I am entirely ill informed about electricity but I do have several reef tanks and have had leaking current several times from cheap chinese pumps where I could feel a tiny and i mean tiny buzz. Does it matter what size gear we have in the tank? I have a 5 watt return pump and a 50w heater and thats it inside the tank. Does it matter if we are wearing rubber shoes, rubber gloves and standing on a wood floor vs barefoot on a solid metal copper floor? I think all of these variables maybe should be taken into consideration.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=electrocuted+by+fish+tank&t=h_&atb=v78-7__&ia=web
There's your link.

Do what you will. Take all of your variables into consideration, who cares.

GFCI and Probe will protect
Your Investment
Your Fish
Your Coral
Your Family
Your Friends
And You

Spend the dang 20 bucks.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 97 76.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back