Using ground probes in aquariums

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have no available outlet can I make a ground with a copper rod to attach the probe too?

My situation is two ebb8 in regular outlet, no gfci.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah okay. Thanks.

Whats safest for the fish and coral?
Its largely a matter of opinion. I haven't seen any research done on electricity in aquariums. I run with a ground probe and GFCI's. I have seen some connections made between HTTLE in fish and sliming in corals. I don't think this matters if it is fault current or induced so the only way to get rid of it is with a ground probe. Its also possible for damaged electrical equipment to leach copper and toxins into the water which I also worry about. Having it trip on GFCI is the fastest way to know you have an issue so you can respond.

Of course, the flip side is that if a GFCI trips while you are gone for a few days, and you don't have redundancy, no flow and heat will take out coral and fish too.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have no available outlet can I make a ground with a copper rod to attach the probe too?

My situation is two ebb8 in regular outlet, no gfci.
That would be a lot of work. If you don't have a free outlet for your GFCI on your EB8's can you run an extension cord from another outlet to plug your probe into? You could also use a splitter at the wall outlet to add a receptacle.

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be a lot of work. If you don't have a free outlet for your GFCI on your EB8's can you run an extension cord from another outlet to plug your probe into? You could also use a splitter at the wall outlet to add a receptacle.

Neither is an option as I rent and the next outlet has the CO alarm in it. If I bought a 6’ copper rod 5/8”can I connect the probe to it as it’s own ground? A 6’copper rod could be concealed behind the tank at least.

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great discussion!!
So I’m running two power strips on two separate outlets (non-GFCI) and no probe. So now I’m going to Lowe’s to get two GFCI adaptors and a titanium grounding probe. So my question is: can I install the GFCI adaptors and simply plug the powerstips into the same outlet as before or do I plug them directly into the GFCI adaptor? Also would I plug the grounding probe into the outlets or could I plug it into one of the powerstips??

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither is an option as I rent and the next outlet has the CO alarm in it. If I bought a 6’ copper rod 5/8”can I connect the probe to it as it’s own ground? A 6’copper rod could be concealed behind the tank at least.
A splitter should be an option. Plug this into where you plug in your EB8, then plug your EB8 into one side and the ground probe in another.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Axis-3-Outlet-Heavy-Duty-Grounding-Adapter-45092/206346665

Without doing a soil analysis, I can't tell you if a 6' copper rod would be appropriate. You may need a longer rod or you may need 2 spaced apart based on soil conductivity.

This is a great discussion!!
So I’m running two power strips on two separate outlets (non-GFCI) and no probe. So now I’m going to Lowe’s to get two GFCI adaptors and a titanium grounding probe. So my question is: can I install the GFCI adaptors and simply plug the powerstips into the same outlet as before or do I plug them directly into the GFCI adaptor? Also would I plug the grounding probe into the outlets or could I plug it into one of the powerstips??

I was told not to plug ground probe into the power strip.
As long as the power strip is UL listed you can plug the ground probe into it. Part of the UL listing is that the ground connection is carried through without interruption from each outlet through the plug.

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the power strip is UL listed you can plug the ground probe into it. Part of the UL listing is that the ground connection is carried through without interruption from each outlet through the plug.

Can I put the grounding probe in my apex then? It should be UL. The splitter won’t fit in the water proof box and my basement is finished ( I was under the impression this whole time that just the copper alone would do it, whoops)

I appreciate the help!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 that link did not work for me, is this the one you were referring to? @HomeDepot

shopping

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I put the grounding probe in my apex then? It should be UL. The splitter won’t fit in the water proof box and my basement is finished ( I was under the impression this whole time that just the copper alone would do it, whoops)

I appreciate the help!
Yup, I have tested the EB8 personally and their grounds are solidly connected. If you have an unused receptacle on it, that would be a fine location.

If you ever decide you need that receptacle later you could go with something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlim...d=1513612148&sr=8-29&keywords=outlet+splitter

Plug the EB8 into one, the ground probe into the other.

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I have tested the EB8 personally and their grounds are solidly connected. If you have an unused receptacle on it, that would be a fine location.

If you ever decide you need that receptacle later you could go with something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlim...d=1513612148&sr=8-29&keywords=outlet+splitter

Plug the EB8 into one, the ground probe into the other.

Thanks a bunch!! I have read so many post that indicated to never plug a ground into the eb8 or power bar. Since I am an electrical dummy I just did so.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a bunch!! I have read so many post that indicated to never plug a ground into the eb8 or power bar. Since I am an electrical dummy I just did so.
Those posts are written for good reason. I have found more than a few cheap older power strips that don't have the ground connected correctly.

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those posts are written for good reason. I have found more than a few cheap older power strips that don't have the ground connected correctly.

Good to know why! Thanks again. 2 last questions that will get me all set. Does my eb8 have to have the outlet the ground probe is in, in the on position as if I was using it or can it be off to still obtain the ground? And how can I tell if the wall outlet is ground itself? I really appreciate it!!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know why! Thanks again. 2 last questions that will get me all set. Does my eb8 have to have the outlet the ground probe is in, in the on position as if I was using it or can it be off to still obtain the ground? And how can I tell if the wall outlet is ground itself? I really appreciate it!!
No, the outlet does not have to be on for the ground probe to work in the EB8.

Do you have a meter that will read resistance? Or voltage?

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My titanium ground probe is this.
upload_2017-12-20_10-54-44.png

What I did is having the fork like contact stick to the ground prong of ADJ strip. ( I have a wall plug, two outlets. One is for ADJ 8 switches power strip, one is for my GHL powerbar.)

Is this the right way to connect?

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the outlet does not have to be on for the ground probe to work in the EB8.

Do you have a meter that will read resistance? Or voltage?

Awesome, thanks! Just ohms with a fluke meter. Will that work?

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told that I can set the fluke to 200ohms and put one needle in the ground and one on the screw of the cover plate to see if it is ground. It should make a sound if so.

Is this correct info?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told that I can set the fluke to 200ohms and put one needle in the ground and one on the screw of the cover plate to see if it is ground. It should make a sound if so.

Is this correct info?
My preferred way is to plug in an extension cord to a different outlet, and test resistance from the ground prong on the extension cord to the outlet. In my opinion, this is the most foolproof method.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back