UV AND FALLOW

HD Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering, would a fallow period in a DT be shortened if a UV was running for the duration of the fallow period ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering, would a fallow period in a DT be shortened if a UV was running for the duration of the fallow period ?
It won’t reduce the fallow period for protozoan parasites, but it can reduce the overall free floating bacterial loading of a tank - but that really isn’t of much benefit as those same bacteria are also living adhered to surfaces in the tank.

Many people use UV as a “it can’t hurt” scenario, but I’d rather save the money myself.

Jay

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Adding to statement by Jay. its a core belief that UV sterilizer is a magic wand and will erase what is existing in the tank and remove parasites from a surface such as fish and glass and it addresses what passes through the unit " Free floating" and act as a magnet and pull and shocking protozoan and organisms. Will it help overall - Absolutely.
Benefit is it will slow down activity of bacterial blooms and protozoan outbreaks but not erase it in whole.
Important also is that there is sufficient wattage based on volume to address what is passing through the unit

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back