UV recommended size brand

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very much a beginner when it comes to reef plumbing so bear with me. I finally added a sump, mostly so that I could add a decent UV without going with a HOB. I was wondering what brand and size would be recommended for a 75 gallon. I was planning on running my return into the UV which would then run back into my display. My return pump is a varios4 running on the lowest setting. Would that be too much gph for a UV? And is this an ok way to plumb a UV into my system.

OP
OP
Sticker shock

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Aquaultraviolet. You'd probably be fine with a 15-watt, and yes - you can do it this way (if you turn your pump off you'll also want to turn the UV off at the same time also).
I'm guessing this is to prevent the light casing from getting too hot? What would happen in the case of a pump failure? Do you just have to let it cool down before replacing the pump or could this damage the housing? I'm not really sure what fix could be done to prevent this even if it was plumbed on its own pump. And the flow rate wouldn't be to much for parasite removal?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. In the event of a pump failure (rare) you wouldn’t want it on, no. Most of us have controllers to monitor/prevent this, but there are cheaper options or you could place it on a timer.

As for the flow rate, you’d have to lookup what the manufacturer recommends and compare it with the flow in your tank.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You could also consider a 25w unit. You can regulate contact time and sterilization power with a dc pump. That way you will always have enough UV for whatever you need. 75 gallons is the upper limit of 15w it seems.

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The first thing to decide is what you want it for. If you want it for algae control and water clarity then I would buy a slightly oversize sterilizer. Bigger is always better for a UV. If you want a unit that will last a long time, purchase quality. If you want to control Protozoa, it gets a lot more complicated. To really keep Ick and other diseases under control, a considerably oversized unit is recommended with a very low flow. If this is what you are after, really do some research and there is a lot of info on this site. I wouldn’t ever consider not having one. My tank I have and in the planning stages, will have the flow set for Protozoa control.

OP
OP
Sticker shock

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing to decide is what you want it for. If you want it for algae control and water clarity then I would buy a slightly oversize sterilizer. Bigger is always better for a UV. If you want a unit that will last a long time, purchase quality. If you want to control Protozoa, it gets a lot more complicated. To really keep Ick and other diseases under control, a considerably oversized unit is recommended with a very low flow. If this is what you are after, really do some research and there is a lot of info on this site. I wouldn’t ever consider not having one. My tank I have and in the planning stages, will have the flow set for Protozoa control.
Is there a minimum flow rate for UV. I have a Tunze 3181 macro algae reactor and I could use that pump/return to go through the UV as that would allow for a lot of contact time. I’m just not sure if it would be too much causing overheated water.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is there a minimum flow rate for UV. I have a Tunze 3181 macro algae reactor and I could use that pump/return to go through the UV as that would allow for a lot of contact time. I’m just not sure if it would be too much causing overheated water.
In my opinion Aqua Ultraviolet has the best chart showing flow rates for different uses, gallons and wattage

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Brands wise I would choose from Aqua Ultraviolet, Pentair or Lifegard. Those seem the highest quality. I am planning on a 55w Lifegard for my ~90 gallons of system water. Nuke them all to hell.

Using these UV suggestions is very good advice. Purchase the largest UV you can afford and fit in your space. For Protozoa, you need at least 3x tank turnover per hour and each manufacturer will have a specific flow needed to flow through the UV. Because of the slow flow needed, if possible, run a separate return line to your tank, which will enable you to run the proper flow and turnover rate of 3-5 times per hour. Flow is everything for a UV and you will not get the needed results with improper flow. Do research before you buy as a quality UV is an investment and spend money one time. This site has tons of information. I am so convinced of the effectiveness of UV that I am placing two of them on my new build.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Rainbow lifeguard
Jebao for low cost
Aqua UV

Tangs-A-Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the Vecton line of UV sterilizers. Reasonably priced, very nice form factor (great looking design and smaller footprint than others), easy to install, and comes in multiple wattages.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very much a beginner when it comes to reef plumbing so bear with me. I finally added a sump, mostly so that I could add a decent UV without going with a HOB. I was wondering what brand and size would be recommended for a 75 gallon. I was planning on running my return into the UV which would then run back into my display. My return pump is a varios4 running on the lowest setting. Would that be too much gph for a UV? And is this an ok way to plumb a UV into my system.
Got the aqua2000+ HOB that pulls from my sump and comes out in the display. Got a little DC pump supplying flow so it’s adjustable and it seems to work great. Well let’s put it this way. Either I have been extremely lucky with algae and or ich and other critters or the UV is doing it’s job. Either way always run one and never seem to have those problems. Don’t want to go without and find out it was working after all.

OP
OP
Sticker shock

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems ok, flow rate is between 400-500 gph. I primarily got it because any fish added in the past came down with ich, so I wanted something to help control that. I’ve since added a Tomini tang which has been as heathy as I could hope. As for algae, the water is definitely clearer, but it isn’t a total game changer in that regard. Still plenty of algae for my cuc and Tomini

desert fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems ok, flow rate is between 400-500 gph. I primarily got it because any fish added in the past came down with ich, so I wanted something to help control that. I’ve since added a Tomini tang which has been as heathy as I could hope. As for algae, the water is definitely clearer, but it isn’t a total game changer in that regard. Still plenty of algae for my cuc and Tomini
Thank you, Sticker Shock that is what i wanted to for as well i have a sicce 1.5 357 gph rate wondering if that would be enough to make a differnce

Tangs-A-Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Sticker Shock that is what i wanted to for as well i have a sicce 1.5 357 gph rate wondering if that would be enough to make a differnce
Screenshot off LiveAquaria website ⬇️

Attachments

• IMG_5274.png
    IMG_5274.png
    106.9 KB · Views: 68

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back