UV sterilizer - for Ich and algae. My experience

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a shop and have not used copper in at least 9 years. Thats when I began using UVC. I have 8 Tanks in my quarantine with 3 times the tank volumes in an hour through the UVC. 8 days then ich, welvet and brooklynella is gone (Or 8 days after last visible spot). If incoming clowns are having heavy outbreaks of brooklynella i separate those fishes as much as possible after the 8 days when the other fishes are moved to the sales tanks. So 10 clowns get separated in all 8 tanks and then they will recover. Or 8 Chromis with Uronema gets separated and will normally recover.
I have 2 customers that has had ich outbreaks (The fishes was not from me) and they solved it with borrowing as many UV units as possible.
With 3 turnovers per hour and manufacturer recommended flow for parasites the parasites are normally gone within 2 weeks. Then it is possible to reduce the UVC to 1 turnover per day for half a year or so and then you only have to run the UV for 15 minutes each night so the unit will not get overgrown inside.
Ich is practacilly an internet rumor in my neighbourhood thanks to UVC.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
UV will help but will not be a solution.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that a very large uv is very successful at management. I run a 240 watt at 500GPH on my 200 gallon system. It does wonders. The only time I ever saw ice is when I threw away my old bulbs before the new ones arrived, shattered. Even then, it took over 8 days to see any major problems such as scratching or major white dots. I replaced the bulbs on day 9 and within 2 days all signs of ich were gone!
So yes, it is effective. But you have to have a big enough unit and most hobby grade systems are not built for this.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two of the 24 watt Killing Machines for a 93 cube. They both reside in the garbage pail now. :)

They'll help with algae, but it takes up a ridiculous amount of space in the tank, especially the TWO I had in a cube, lol. If you have a big enough sump, that would be ideal for those because they have so many wires connected to that control box.

For a cheaper, but quality UV, I would look at the 24 watt TMC V2 Vecton 600 if you're looking for a more permanent UV. It's short, but uses a high output Phillips bulb and can be plumbed into the system. It can also go with a slightly higher flow rate because of the bulb.

I have two of those waiting to be plumbed into my 180 and another on my cube. But I'm of the philosophy that a UV will be MUCH more efficient if all of the return water passes through UV instead of just having the UV off a manifold and spitting water back into the sump (which is why I have 1 UV for each return pump:)). I'm just having a problem getting the frigin 3-way union valves. These unions are $100 each (the cheapest ones) and I need 4 to have a butass setup on each UV for maintenance. It's difficult for me to swallow $400 on just valves, so I'm looking into other options.

I actually have 3 brand new in the box spare bulbs for the 24 watt Killing Machine if anyone is interested. Which the spare bulbs are essentially the whole unit minus the pump and power supply.

Last edited:
OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do indeed have it in the sump. So far im seeing major improvements in the ich but It will take more time to see forsure

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20181018_095052050~3.jpg

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scratch that. My tusk cleared up but my hippo is still infested.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scratch that. My tusk cleared up but my hippo is still infested.
He'll get better. I find hippos tend to spread it but usually make it through. Just keep feeding well. Tank looks great, awesome the tusk leaves the starfish alone

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He'll get better. I find hippos tend to spread it but usually make it through. Just keep feeding well. Tank looks great, awesome the tusk leaves the starfish alone

I didnt even know they ate starfish....

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had ich in our 300gal. We have large in line UV all return water passes through it. We also increased the flow and surface water agitation. We feed nori heavily and garlic. The ich slowly went away and after 6 months we saw no more ich. We have 6 tangs in the tank and angels. I know this is only ich management and we have stable compatibility at this time which helps reduce stress. We will not add more fish so that we don’t induce another outbreak from stress alone. Here’s a picture of our UV unit on the sump. Your tank is very beautiful by the way and Lov the tusk!

53F7343B-FE9A-4755-9501-F5F6B99C8DE3.jpeg

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The link is a good common sense summary. Key statement is 'keeping the number of parasites down while simultaneously boosting the fish immune system'. UV can be helpful with the former. Good water quality and feeding with the latter. I find it quite amusing when folks poopoo the UV, but advocate the use of garlic. Latter does nothing for ich LOL. Also keep in mind that systems can contain ich, but have it be asymptomatic. That's why so many people think things like garlic can cure it - correlation is not causation. I tend to be of the view that eradication is best, particularly for those less experienced in the hobby.

In orde for a UV to be effective against parasites, it must be as large as possible and with slower water flow than one would use for clarification. I use a 110 watt unit on my system. It certainly helps reduce parasite pressure but does not remove the ich completely. If you can find one, a diatomaceous earth filter can work as well.
Garlic only works on vampires!

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for an update. About a week ago, I decided that this UV was not doing enough or anything to help with the ich as some of my fish were still getting huge outbreaks. I ended up returning it. On another note, all my fish seem ro be free from ich once I removed the tusk.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? I have added quite a few fish into the 150 and so far haven’t seen any issues parasite wise. I am getting ready to buy replacement lamps just in case. I am going to replace the bulb before I see any signs of white spots.

JimG1966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JimG1966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been looking at Uv lights today, going to add one to my 125. Found the same one you got for your tank. Ordered it off of Amazon. Left my tank empty for the 76 days and put a sail fin tank and a sweet lips in it and the next day i saw a spot on the sail fin. Added poly medic and going to add this uv light along with it.. Been treating with the poly medic for 2 days now and spots are gone already.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back