UV sterilizer in MY REEF TANK !

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello ! SO i have installed a uv sterilizer to clear up my newly set up fish tank were about 5 months into it now. there is some live stock and ive added some bacteria to it with the sterilizer off to allow the bacteria to get into the rock !. the Uv sterilizer defintly helped clear the water up.

Should i remove the UV sterilizer now that my water is clear or is this something that i could keep in my sump to help with floating bad bacteria algae or parasites ?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will find a lot of different opinions on UV use. I personally use one 24X7 and always will. The only reason I can see not to use one is if you have A LOT of filter feeders in the tank. Just remember depending on what you are trying to kill, that will affect your flow rates through the UV.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly dont know. I dont run a uv. Hopefully someone that does can answer that. I'm pretty sure the guys that do are running them 24/7

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been running myn 24/7 havent seen any issues. im just worried that it will kill my copepods i have a heavily stocked tank with them and refugeum. think they'll be fine though.
It won't kill your copepods.....at least not enough of them to make a difference. Remember only water entering the UV will be killed. On top of that, the flow through the UV unit would have to be really slow (of you would need a super powerful UV bulb) to kill pods to the point where it will make any difference in your numbers.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't kill your copepods.....at least not enough of them to make a difference. Remember only water entering the UV will be killed. On top of that, the flow through the UV unit would have to be really slow (of you would need a super powerful UV bulb) to kill pods to the point where it will make any difference in your numbers.
Can you run one on a bacterial based system? I carbon dose and was told you really shouldn't run a uv as itll be counter productive.

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you run one on a bacterial based system? I carbon dose and was told you really shouldn't run a uv as itll be counter productive.
The bacteria in the water will be killed if it enters the UV.....the bacteria on the surfaces in the tank will be fine. I have never carbon dosed before but I would have to assume the carbon dosing would still work, but not as well as it would, without the UV.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria in the water will be killed if it enters the UV.....the bacteria on the surfaces in the tank will be fine. I have never carbon dosed before but I would have to assume the carbon dosing would still work, but not as well as it would, without the UV.
That's what I was thinking as well which is why I haven't gone uv. Thanks for the input. Hope this helped the OP as well

Freedom Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might look at some videos by BRS they did some stuff on UV lights a couple months ago and they usually have good information in it. If I recall keeping the UV on and making sure it has the right amount of flow were discussed.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think, from reading, you would have to WAY over-sterilize (like something designed for a 600g system being used on a 20-30g) before sterilizers have a negative impact on the tank.

I am absolutely planning to get one...... mostly because I have seen how crystal clear the water is after using Vibrant, and I’d love to have that level of clarity continuously. My algae isn’t bad....... But it does have a normal level of occasional growth on the glass...... less cleaning is always a plus

I am trying to avoid a lot of “latest greatest” and I try to keep a pretty hands-off approach in regards to dosing, testing for the sale of testing etc, but I see absolutely no downside to running a UV sterilizer

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been running myn 24/7 havent seen any issues. im just worried that it will kill my copepods i have a heavily stocked tank with them and refugeum. think they'll be fine though.
I ran without UV for 20 plus years. I added UV over a year ago to help with a Dino problem. I have not experienced any negatives with running UV other than periodic maintenance. My pod population is as good as ever.

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running a UV 24/7 on a 225 gallon system from the start (5 months old now) and haven't had to deal with a single algea break out.

APX90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use UV 24/7 as well, i put it on the first day i got the tank and never looked back, the only reason i turned it off was to add the initial dose of bacteria and a day later i put it on, im middle cycle right now and even with an extremely heavy ammonia content and running the lights during the cycle i have yet to see any of the common nuisance algae. I was skeptical at first but a properly sized and tuned UV is impressive. Also.. ive never seen water so clear

Anthony Cusumano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a proper flow rate for algae control? I have a 36 watt for a 57 gallon tank. Have not purchased a pump yet.

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a proper flow rate for algae control? I have a 36 watt for a 57 gallon tank. Have not purchased a pump yet.

You will have to look on the Manufacturers information for the UV. There usually is one for parasite that will be slowet and longer exposure to the bulb and algae which will be faster.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 49 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back