UV Sterilizer recommendations?

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a UV sterilizer for my 150-ish gallon, and I want it as a disease preventative, and water clarifier.

My current (if I don’t change my stubborn ways) requirement would be that it needs to be one that I can buy, connect a pump to, and go about-it as water pumped from sump, through sterilizer and back into sump..... Not looking to hard-plumb anything else...... ever!

Is over-sterilizing a risk?

I am currently considering the Aqua UV 120W. Would I be able to add a submersible pump to this one?

Thanks!

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about that one. I just got the PENTAIR 40W and I put a sicce 5 in the sump and hooked up with flexible hose. They are long so hard to hide under a cabinet. I have a 6 foot tank 180ish. Of course the flow rate determines the attack of algae or parasites. Not sure that helped?

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about that one. I just got the PENTAIR 40W and I put a sicce 5 in the sump and hooked up with flexible hose. They are long so hard to hide under a cabinet. I have a 6 foot tank 180ish. Of course the flow rate determines the attack of algae or parasites. Not sure that helped?

That’s another wrinkle I didn’t think of. Can I over-sterilize and render my Algae Scrubber useless? What about killing all the algae off in my DT and starving my CUC and grazers?

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s another wrinkle I didn’t think of. Can I over-sterilize and render my Algae Scrubber useless? What about killing all the algae off in my DT and starving my CUC and grazers?
BRS did a recent video on testing UV sterilizers check it out. I think they discovered it wouldnt get rid of all of it anyway.

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to order the Avast O3 generator/ozonizer

Conflicting reports. One place says it will do nothing for disease management and another place tells me it is the absolute way to go for disease management.

I really just want water clarity and algae control, bit ich management is a nice safe-guard to have

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning

Did you ever settle on one @Jon Fishman ?

Shopping around myself.

Welp.... Just ordered the Avast Mutiny V2 and all the goodies. Total out the door was about $850 (had to order the poseidon thing from amazon. They are OoS)

Cheaper by just just a bit than the UV and plusses (in my mind)

1) Won’t make me need a chiller
2) No expensive bulb replacements
3) I don’t have to worry about leaks/breaking/quartz

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozone does not kill off protozoan. It will clear the water up.

Welp.... Just ordered the Avast Mutiny V2 and all the goodies. Total out the door was about $850 (had to order the poseidon thing from amazon. They are OoS)

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV or contained ozone will neither kill it in a tank or substrate.

Saying "ozone" is deceiving as no ozone actually goes into the tank. Its contained in the ozone reactor and left overs soaked up by carbon. What does come in contact with it, dies. Same principle as a uv, lower flow rate.

If you need some proof of this, get a ozone generator, run no filter, run the tank up over 600 orp. Let me know what's still alive in your tank.

Ozone is just as effective at destroying what comes in contact with it in the water as uv serializer. Either one ends up with a cleaner water column, ozone creates a healthier environment overall.

Plus the host of other benefits that go with it. Which, if you've run it daily at the 400 orp range you know what I'm speaking of.

can-ozone-cure-ich

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 40w pentair, got a pump, run it at 200 gph and connect it through soft tubing in my sump for a 100 gallon. Works great.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to order the Avast O3 generator/ozonizer

Conflicting reports. One place says it will do nothing for disease management and another place tells me it is the absolute way to go for disease management.

I really just want water clarity and algae control, bit ich management is a nice safe-guard to have

Sounds like you have a good setup. Avast makes some quality stuff. I don’t think you will regret it. Update us when you hook it up.

Byron malta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered 2 Tmc vecton v2 600 (25w each) for my 500 litres tank. Should I plump them in-line or different loops? Any suggestions??

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a good setup. Avast makes some quality stuff. I don’t think you will regret it. Update us when you hook it up.

I love it! Decided to get the Aqua UV (undersized, but added for redundancy) as well.

E91CFD1E-4303-4CBC-BBAA-B9129FDB0FB9.jpeg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, they make some great looking quality stuff .The set up looks great.

Hope you don’t need that pan for this years turkey :D

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 85 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back